PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin Newbie

steveo
16-02-13, 19:02
Hi guys.

Not new to this forum but new to Pregabalin!

Have a long history of anxiety starting since I was 7.
After a long battle I got on citalopram at 17 and life slowly improved. So much so that I decided to wean myself off them slowly last September as my life was so good. Big mistake. Im now 28.
Had a mental breakdown at the start of this year. Panic attack after panic attack. My 71 year old father had to come up from Cornwall to stay with me to look after me. I was ready to end it all at my lowest point. Am now super agoraphobic, lost over a stone in weight. Got back on the Citalopram but had the early side effects which made things so much worse!

Anyway - my mum kindly paid for me to see a top consultant psychiatrist today (£240 for an hour!!) and he was so confident with my condition. Very nice man.
So he put me on Pregabalin 75mg twice a day, told me to increase my Citalopram to 30mg and told me to not worry about taking my Diazapam as I have rarely used it through fear of addiction.

So I've just taken my first 75mg. Not sure what to expect. I feel better just having seen the man.

My main problems were agoraphobia (which is very unusual for me) and awful and scary feelings of unreality and depersonalistion/derealisation.

As long as this goes then I feel I can live a normal life again.

He told me to take this Pregabalin for a month.

Can anyone here tell me what to expect? I understand it's different for everyone. Just curious. I'm happy so far that I've read good things on here!

I look forward to hearing from you all and sharing my experiences.

Best wishes

Steven

hanshan
17-02-13, 01:08
Hi Steven,

Good luck with pregabalin. As you say, it affects everyone a bit differently, so it's hard to say exactly what to expect. For me, the overall effect was a reduction of anxiety to more like normal levels. I had some side effects, but they've mostly passed.

I'm mostly not even aware of it working - it just ticks away in the background. Occasionally, however, I come across a moment when I know I would have had an anxiety response, and the moment just comes and goes - no anxiety response. So that makes me feel more confident.

little wren
17-02-13, 08:42
Hi steveo

Ive read your other post (Rains thread). I am so glad you have seen a good psychiatrist.

I too have just started pregabalin (last week) I am only on 60mg a day to be increased per week. I also take ssri (prozac).

So far hardly any side effects. I hope this works...Good luck x

Tufty
17-02-13, 10:20
Hi Steveo,

I've been on Pregabalin for 3 weeks, I started at 150mg a day and have increased to 250mg. I read about Pregabalin before taking it and took a week off work when starting, half expecting to be sleepy and not able to function - but it's not been like that at all - it's been great. On the first three days and after each increase for 3 days I have experienced feeling 'drunk like', a not quite with it feeling but this lasted a few hours and not all day, I have been able to work and drive during this time though. I felt really good otherwise, more energised, confident and a little bit high - but not in a bad way. For me Pregabalin has been easier to take than any psychi med I have tried, I am sensitive to meds (as it seems are most anxious people) but apart from the mentioned side effects it has been great.

I am not taking any other meds at the mo, I was on Fluoxetine with horrible side effects - similar to yours from reading your posts but gave up on it. I wish I had been given Pregabablin back then, I'm sure I would of stuck with the SSRI.

Any questions or info needed just message me, I'm happy to share my experience, there are not many of Pregabalers on here.
Love Sam

steveo
17-02-13, 12:00
Took my first 75mg last night and just taken my morning dose of 75mg.

Makes me feel rather spaced out. Feel very unusual right now but fairly calm and relaxed. Feel a tad dizzy too and off balance. Also increased my citalopram dosage to 30mg so that might also have an effect on me.

How long does this spacey feeling last? I am a bit worried because it's the spacey feeling of unreality that is CAUSING me panic attacks in the first place. It's the derealisation/depersonalisation that I'm trying to combat. I'm worried these tablets are going to increase these feelings.

What were your early side effects and how long did they last?

hanshan
17-02-13, 12:09
Spacey feelings may last one week or more, in my experience, but don't cause flow on effects. I have to say "in my experience" because everyone is different.

Good luck with pregabalin. For most people, starting it is an easy experience.

steveo
17-02-13, 12:10
And now I'm having a panic attack

Tufty
17-02-13, 15:52
Hope you're OK Steveo, I felt spaced out and off balance but only for a few hours after each dose. If possible try to float with those feelings, they won't last, you cannot control your feelings all the time - only your reactions and thoughts about the feelings, try to stay in the moment and accept that you feel unreal because of the drugs but it's OK and no harm will come to you.
Since starting the Pregabalin 3 weeks ago I've only had one panic attack and that was much shorter than my normal ones. Maybe increasing the Citalopram my be the cause of the panic attack now, just try to remember that it is temporary, nothing is forever and this to will pass.
Love Sam

steveo
17-02-13, 19:02
Thanks Sam.

That made me feel better reading what you had to say.

I took 2.5mg diazapam as soon as I got those panic feelings so I soon felt better.
It was when I was in the shower, I suddenly felt off balance and then felt a bit unreal. Made me panic slightly.
This has been my problem all along though, the feelings of unreality, so to now be on a drug and have this as a major side effect is going to be problematic to me, but HOPEFULLY the drug will make me not care so much about it.

It's still early days in my recovery. This mental breakdown has been very hard on me. Need this Citalopram to take proper effect now and to even out and the Pregabalin to kick in also.

I guess it's still going to take a couple of weeks.

I'm glad I have everyone on here for support and advice.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

A question I just thought of. What time do you take the evening dose? Does it matter how close to bedtime you take it?

xtremx
17-02-13, 19:24
Hi Steveo

Welcome to Pregabalin for me it has worked wonders (except for weight gain).

I have been on it for just over a year now and like Hanshan said it affects everyone a bit differently.
But for me the first few weeks were brilliant I was able to do stuff that I only dreamt of, that could have something to do with the slightly drunk feeling.

But know I'm settled on a dose of 375mg aday 125x3 9am-3pm-9pm.

Good Luck Mate

steveo
17-02-13, 19:38
It's this drunk feeling that is causing me more worries. It's aggravating my depersonalisation symptoms.
I just don't feel real or myself and I feel worse since starting this medication.

xtremx
17-02-13, 20:06
It will pass and very quickly as you are on a small dose to start.
I started on a higher dose.

If you are taking it and find the drunk feel is getting to you phone your doctor and if not doing already se about taking it an hour before bed.

Tufty
17-02-13, 21:01
Hi Steven,

I take my evening dose about 9pm and go to bed about 11 - I've recently upped to 150mg so I sleep through any drunk feelings. I can then take my morning dose about 9am, this also fits in with eating. I read that eating approximately 30 mins before taking the Pregabalin slows down the absorption and can reduce the side effects, I certainly found that this helps, if I don't eat with them I feel unbalanced and a bit strange for a few hours afterwards. I don't suffer with depersonilisation (well I don't think I do and certainly don't want to find out more about it incase it turns out those feelings have a long name :D) but I can imagine if you become more anxious when you feel unreal these unwanted Pregabalin effects must be scary, so eat before taking them.

Those drunken feeling will reduce quickly as your body gets used to the new medication, stick with them until Wednesday if you can, that's only 2 more days and you may feel abit much better by then, I know I felt much better 3 days in.

:hugs:Sam

steveo
17-02-13, 21:27
Well I've just taken my third dose of 75mg. It's very hard to tell what's causing me problems at the moment due to my increase in citalopram to 30mg also and my increased diazapam dose.

Had a pretty useless day, spent the first half in bed and the latter half just on my computer. I think I'm very sensitive to ANY changes within my body (but isn't everyone with anxiety?) so I think this is going to take a while to get used to.

Despite feeling rubbish today, I still remain positive for the first time since this breakdown thanks to the support of everyone on here.

My depression seems to have gone and anticipatory anxiety has gone.

Kobey
18-02-13, 00:32
I have been on it for about 2 months and it has made my mood a lot better.. I take 225mg twice a day. I also have very bad back pain and ibs so I take Diazapam and ibroprofen and codeine every now and again. But the progabalin has def made my mood better.

steveo
18-02-13, 13:38
Had morning anxiety for the first time in a week this morning when I woke up which led me to have to take diazapam.

My psychiatrist told me the pregabalin will give me instant relief but so far I've felt worse.

I am still holding out that it is probably the increased dosage of Citalopram though.

I am strangely positive despite feeling anxious. For the first time I am accepting that I need to wait a while.

Kobey
18-02-13, 13:42
Could be the citilopram, I honestly thought I felt better within the first couple doses of lyrica. I still take diazy when I have a lot of stress. I'm going through a very hard time at the mo and I feel very stressed and a bit anxious but my mood is great. Keep with it Steve. Hope it works for you.

steveo
18-02-13, 14:48
Thanks Kobey. I won't give up this time. I'm going to persevere. I have my diazapam if I need it and boy does it work wonders! Just wish it was instant and not 30ish minutes!

My mood has improved already.

I've decided with all this time off to learn piano! Keep my mind active! Bought some books so here goes!

steveo
19-02-13, 13:51
Grrrr. Felt awful when I woke up this morning and it lasted till about midday. Still don't feel great. My psyc told me I would get instant relief from the pregabalin but this isn't the case.
On my third day today of it.

But also the third day of my Citalopram dosage increase.

Not enjoying this. I felt better before all this!!!

Mark13
20-02-13, 01:14
The official prescription notes say pregabalin can take 4 weeks to kick in. That certainly was the case for me.

I did have feelings of euphoria on and off, drunk feelings and double vision but it all settled down with time and judging the timing of the do ages correctly - I found 10-12 hours between doses works best.

Good luck I'm sure it'll help you if you can bear with the initial side effects.

steveo
20-02-13, 10:26
I read some of your posts that it was taking a while for you Mark.

You all good now?

I'm taking it with Citalopram so maybe our stories are different as you were on Mirtazapine I believe?

Day three of taking them for me. I've been dosing myself up good and proper on Diazapam so far. I think I'm going to need to do that today as my dad is driving me back to Cornwall with him where I can recover from this nasty blip.

hanshan
20-02-13, 12:34
Hi Steve,

Pregabalin works quickly for some people, but for others it takes a few weeks. The effect is often subtle - not noticeable until you miss a dose.

Good luck with pregabalin.

steveo
20-02-13, 15:12
I'm only supposed to be on it for a month while my Citalopram dose kicks in.

Just on 150mg a day (2 x 75mg).

It was prescribed to give me instant relief whilst the Citalopram gets to work. Bit annoyed now that I hear it takes 4 weeks to work.

Mark13
20-02-13, 18:04
I read some of your posts that it was taking a while for you Mark.

You all good now?

I'm taking it with Citalopram so maybe our stories are different as you were on Mirtazapine I believe?

That's right, I love mitazapine, the only thing that helps me sleep :)

Sorry if my post came across as a bit of a downer, I have the odd bad day on this drug :)

I'm just wary of folk (not you) saying they feel better minutes after taking the drug. I did too, till I found out that "mild euphoria" was a side effect and it wore off quickly.

I got quite "spacey" on it too, which I actually liked, made a change :)

It's settled down now. I don't think pregabalin is doing a huge amount for me, but, and I hate to use this cliche...it takes the edge off.

My peaks of anxiety don't seem as high, but I'm up and down a lot emotionally.

All that said, pregabalin helps me more than all the SSRIs, SNRIs etc that I've tried in the past.

For me it's one of those drugs that you don't think is doing much, but when you miss a dose you realise it really was. Because of the short half-life of the drug (which is why it has to be taken at least twice a day) a missed dose for me is really noticeable.

I truly hope you get some benefit from pregabalin.

Mark

hanshan
21-02-13, 10:23
Hi Steve,

It doesn't always take four weeks to have an effect - it varies from person to person.

Also, the dose can vary from person to person - up to 600 mg per day for some people. Doctors often start people low if they think there may be side effects - this may be an issue concerning depersonalisation for you.

malaprop
21-02-13, 14:34
Hi Steveo. I started Pregabalin 50mg x 3 ( and Sertaline 50mg) on Tuesday and feel drunk, spacey and an underlying feeling of ureality just simmering. I really hate these side efffects, and almost gave uo this morning. I had been on Citalopram for 12 years but had reduced the dose from 40mg to 10mg on the advice of The Linden Method. Paid to see a Physch privately as had lost confidence in my GP.
Hope you're coping better now and would be intrested to hear how you get on over the next few days.

steveo
21-02-13, 14:37
Malaprop!!!!!! Please listen carefully to me!! DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINDEN METHOD!

I will PM you now about this!

malaprop
21-02-13, 14:40
I'm intrigued! I have been to The Linden retreat and met Charles Linden his wife and the team.

steveo
21-02-13, 14:52
I've PM'ed you. Please read carefully about what mess I got myself into trying to come off medication.
He is a business, not a doctor, a psychiatrist, a nurse, a therapist. He is a business.

steveo
23-02-13, 18:38
I'm still not happy with Pregabalin.

I was told that it would give me instant relief from anxiety. I've now been taking it for a week and it's making my depersonalisation/derealisation worse because it's making more spacey and numb.

Today I went for a bike ride down a big hill near me. And I had no sense of fear or danger. I was going down a hill so far without the brakes on and didn't think I was in the least bit of danger, even if I hit something really hard.
Just don't feel real. Like I'm in a dream. It's really bad today. I told psychiatrist that this was my main symptom and he goes and puts me on a medication that makes me feel even more disasosiated with the world.

Kobey
23-02-13, 21:24
Have you tried drinking whilst on it, 3 pints and I'm gone. And very chatty.

steveo
23-02-13, 21:29
No I haven't. I quit drinking about 6 months ago. I'm also on Diazapam so drinking would be a crazy thing for me to do right now.

hanshan
25-02-13, 13:26
If your doctor told you that pregabalin provides instant relief from anxiety, that's just not true. If you are suffering from GAD, it may take a week to a month to take effect.

Mark13
25-02-13, 16:02
If your doctor told you that pregabalin provides instant relief from anxiety, that's just not true. If you are suffering from GAD, it may take a week to a month to take effect.
As it's only licensed in Europe for GAD I think the Docs are still unsure as to the exact progress of the drug. I've seen 1 week, and 4, as you say, hanshan.

I think some people (and GPs) mistake the "mild euphoria" side effect for a relieving of anxiety - which it is in a way, but it's not a therapeutic effect of the drug and therefore wears off quickly.

Yet again, yesterday I felt that I wasn't gaining much from the drug. Near to my second dosage I felt a real "rush" of anxiety which made me realise that's how I used to feel constantly. These short episodes make me realise that, although not a wonder-drug, it's still by far the best drug for GAD I've ever taken.

hanshan
26-02-13, 11:42
Hi Mark,

I can only agree with your three points.

- A lot of medication information comes from the US. Because pregabalin is not licensed for GAD in the US, there is a shortage of information, so doctors don't know how to (re)act.

- There is often a mild initial euphoric stage which lasts only a day or so. Many doctors seem to think this will continue, when it doesn't.

- It's not a wonder drug. It doesn't stop all anxiety and can't stop strong anxiety like panic attacks. After a while, it doesn't seem like it's working at all, until a missed dose recalls memories of what anxiety was like before pregabalin.

steveo
26-02-13, 14:21
It wasn't just a doctor who told me that it would give me instant relief. It was a private CONSULTANT PSYCHIATRIST who bl**dy cost me £240 for less than an hour!!

Someone as senior and experienced as him who I put all my trust into, told me I would get instant relief from anxiety straight away on these. He told me to up my citalopram, keep taking diazapam and take Pregablin for a month to let the Citalopram settle.
So after this 30 day course of Pregabain has gone ,I then have to stop taking them... even though it might take 30 days for the pregabalin to work....

I feel like I was brushed off. I didn't feel listened to. And my pockets feel alot lighter....

hanshan
28-02-13, 09:59
Hi Steve,

The psychiatrist was expensive, but don't worry about it too much. If it was a one-off, in the long-term scheme of things it won't make anyone any poorer. I'm not sure how the health system works in the UK. If you see a psychiatrist in Australia (after waiting two or three months to get an appointment), they can bulk-bill you if you are a low-income earner and throw yourself at their mercy, in which case you don't pay anything and they take a reduced payment from the government. Alternatively, they can charge you whatever they want, and you get a set rebate from the government, plus some more from your private health fund if you are member.

Pregabalin works really well for some people with anxiety - quickly and at a low dose - and somewhat well for others - more slowly and at a higher dose. I think the doctor was hoping that you might be one of the lucky ones, but was really putting his faith in the higher dose of citalopram, hence the pregabalin for a month prescription.

Pregabalin may be helpful to you, but the feeling I get from posts to NMP is that it doesn't have enough grunt if a panic attack hits. You mentioned taking diazepam, but there are other benzodiazepines which are more suited to panic attacks.