PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks since last citalopram dose and struggling

Rachy-Rach
16-02-13, 20:37
I'm here for some advice if you please.

I've been on citalopram for over a year due to anxiety that developed from my job where I have a high level of responsibility caring for very ill people. Once my anxiety took hold, it took over all aspects of my life: I lost my confidence and felt that I couldn't cope at work. Slowly with the support of work, my Mum and now husband (married late last year) I have finally managed to get things back on track. The only reason I am stopping my medication is because we want to start a family in the near future and it is not advisable to take citalopram during pregnancy.

It's not the best time to stop as my MSc is due in in a couple of months time and I feel like I am very behind but for us, in six months time, it will be the right time to start trying for a family.

I was on 20mg daily. I cut down to 10mg every other day which I had been doing for two weeks when I forgot to take some doses and figured I'd just stop. I knew it would be tough - and it has. I've had all the classic symptoms: electric shock sensations, spacyness, eye/joint pain/stiffness, forgetfulness etc but now I am just utterly exhausted. It has been two weeks since I took my last 10mg tablet and I am tearful, highly emotional and exhausted to the point where I don't want to get out of bed. I feel ill.

Does anyone have and rescue type remedies that will help me to get through the next week? I'm pretty desperate as I have 4 night shifts coming up and I know that if I continue feeling as I do, I'm really going to struggle.

I write this with hope.

Rachel

Sparkle1984
16-02-13, 22:50
Welcome to the forums. It seems like a lot of people are withdrawing from citalopram all of a sudden - Spring must be a popular time to come off them.

Personally I feel that 2 weeks isn't long enough to taper off 20mg, although I realise that everyone is different. 10mg was my highest therapeutic dose, and it's already taken me 3 weeks to withdraw from that, and I've still got another 2 weeks to go.

This is the withdrawal timetable I was given by my doctor: 4 weeks at 5mg (by cutting the 10mg pills in half). I've decided to add a 5th week in which I take 5mg every other day. This is so that hopefully I will have a smoother landing.

Different doctors are notoriously inconsistent with tapering timetables - it seems that every doctor goes by their own opinion, but I really think there should be national guidelines on the minimum tapering period.

Don't be afraid to ask for some more time to do the tapering off, if you feel you need it. Your doctor might recommend going back on 10mg for a while, then cut them in half for a few weeks and come off that way.

I know what you mean about feeling exhausted - in the first 2 weeks of the 5mg dose, I often had days where a lethargic feeling would come over me when I was at work, and I felt awful. Thankfully those feelings only lasted a few minutes each time though. I also had trouble sleeping for the first couple of weeks as well, and I sometimes felt irritable, but it seems that my body is now used to the 5mg dose.

I stocked up on Rescue Remedy products - I have the daytime spray, the night-time spray, the chewing gum and the pastilles. I find them helpful when I feel extra nervous, but thankfully that's not too often these days.

Rachy-Rach
17-02-13, 02:09
Thanks for your reply. I know I should have taken longer to come off but I am not going back now. I'm after tips on managing the symptoms not on getting off regimes which i am all too familiar with but i needed to stop them as soon as possible. If anyone knows of anything that will help? Eg i heard eating foods high in fat/protein - nof that it seems to have done much for me... I have never used rescue remedies - these are for anxiety, not the management of withdrawal symptoms and my anxiety was always too severe for them. If you can help me with this please do!

clarisse
17-02-13, 13:56
Taking a high dose of Omega3 Fish Oil 1500 mg a day will help with Brain function and the Zaps.Make sure it has a high EPA content.
Good quality Ginseng will help with the energy levels and feelings of exhaustion.
Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet,one free from additives and added sugars.This will help flush out the toxins and help with headaches and tiredness
Joint aches can be relieved by Ibrofen or a diet rich in VitC. Ginger and Tummeric is also an anti-inflammatory.
A boost of B6 Complex will help your nervous system,but take this a considerable time before you want to sleep ,it can cause insomnia if taken before bed.
Most of your symptoms will be a lot better in a week or two,but you may find you have a low mood for a while.This is perfectly normal, and it should improve once your body adjusts.
Hope this helps.Wishing you all the very best.

karenp
17-02-13, 14:18
I was on Citalopram for 3 years before I came off it but I stayed on 10mg's for a year before cutting it out altogether, then went to half a pill a day for a couple of weeks of weeks, then a quarter and then I started missing days and was totally fine but I ad a hard time getting off Mirtazapine. I still tapered but from the top dose over about a month but had terrible wd effects, the good news is they didn't last much longer than a fortnight or so once I'd completely stopped the medication and are now just a bad memory...good luck coming through the other side of your Citalopram discontinuation xxx

Rachy-Rach
17-02-13, 14:50
Taking a high dose of Omega3 Fish Oil 1500 mg a day will help with Brain function and the Zaps.Make sure it has a high EPA content.
Good quality Ginseng will help with the energy levels and feelings of exhaustion.
Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet,one free from additives and added sugars.This will help flush out the toxins and help with headaches and tiredness
Joint aches can be relieved by Ibrofen or a diet rich in VitC. Ginger and Tummeric is also an anti-inflammatory.
A boost of B6 Complex will help your nervous system,but take this a considerable time before you want to sleep ,it can cause insomnia if taken before bed.
Most of your symptoms will be a lot better in a week or two,but you may find you have a low mood for a while.This is perfectly normal, and it should improve once your body adjusts.

Thank you Thank you Thank you! This is exactly what I needed!! All these are on tomorrow's shopping list! I've been taking a multivitamin which contained fish oil but not the amount that you suggest. I've been taking Ibuprofen for a hip problem but it has had had little to no effect on both.

Just had a lovely row with my husband who suggested I go back on the meds which is the last thing I wanted to hear especially from him.

Feeling very upset this afternoon :weep: the most upset I've been this year. Just want this all to be over so I can get on with it but really struggling and HATE admitting how much I'm struggling but I really am

clarisse
17-02-13, 16:11
Oh im sorry to hear that Rach. Your husband is obviously concerned you are feeling so unwell.Its unfortunate to be feeling so poorly ,but remember this will pass.It would be pretty silly to go back on the medication now, it would only mean more s/e,s.
Your body just needs time to re-adjust and it will do so.:)
Impleased you found this of some help.Just give it time and im sure it will help somewhat to relieve some of these problems.
I forgot to say ,your Liver will affect the way you are feeling,so try to cleanse it,This can be done by making fresh Lemonade and drinking at least twice a day.A large glass first thing in the morning helps kick start the metabolism.
You might find Voltarol tabs or gel helps more with the pain,it was only available on prescription but can be bought in supermarkets and chemists now.
Good luck Rach do try to accept this is only temporary.One day at a time is usually the way forward.

Rachy-Rach
17-02-13, 20:44
Your words really help - just a bad day i think. No going back now! I think if i can just make it throigh this week i'll have come out the other side. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you

happycamper
17-02-13, 21:03
Hi Rachy-Rach,
Just wanted to say I've been struggling with getting myself off Cit for many weeks now, it got to the point that as soon as I felt the brain zaps returning after about 4 days I'd take about a 5mg bit of tablet just to allow me to keep going with work etc, otherwise I don't know how I'd have got by.
It's been about 3 weeks since taking anything, but still got half a pack left just in case!
Best of luck. x

Rachy-Rach
18-02-13, 10:20
I have loads of meds left but determined not to take any. After a miserable weekend things seem a little brighter this morning. Into my third week with no meds. If I can get through this one I'm hoping I'll be over the withdrawal symptoms altogether :-)

Rachy-Rach
18-02-13, 22:04

Got your suggested supplements today and feeling better about my night shift already. Thank you so much for your input, you're really made a difference! :)

Rachy-Rach
22-02-13, 02:03
Just a little update. Now well into my third week med free and feel SO much better! Clarisse's suggestions really helped! Had a couple of blips where I was taken out of my comfort zone and struggled with work stress but feel much more righted now and well on the path to being med free.

Just wanted to thank everyone who has encouraged me on here. It may feel like a little message to you but it's really helped me get through a rough time. Looking forward to finishing my night shift in the morning and carrying on med free.

Lots of love,

Rachel x

Bel8
22-02-13, 09:58
:bighug1:

Hi Rachel

I can relate ... 22 days in and I still feel ill most of the time.

Hugs are about the only helpful thing I can offer and a request to keep me posted.

Bel8

Rachy-Rach
23-02-13, 16:31
:bighug1:

Hi Rachel

I can relate ... 22 days in and I still feel ill most of the time.

Hugs are about the only helpful thing I can offer and a request to keep me posted.

Bel8

Thank you - had a tough week but managed to get through it. Feel like this weekend is taking it's toll on me again but just have to keep on pushing through. Will make it in the end x

Bel8
05-03-13, 08:42
Hi Rachel,

How are you?

Bel8