PDA

View Full Version : Being alone or being with others?

steveo
17-02-13, 18:49
Just interested to know what people prefer to do during a panic attack or times of heightened anxiety.

For me, being on my own in my bedroom in the quiet, with the door shut is the best place for me. I don't like anyone being around me when I feel like this because my depersonalisation is at it's worst.

What or where are your safe places? Do you have a person you like being with during a panic attack or do you prefer to be on your own?

Just curious really :)

Thanks!

Steven

Nicola joannidis
17-02-13, 18:54
I prefer to be on my own but I knows it better if in with someone otherwise my thoughts take over and I struggle to distract my mind.

Do you take anything for your anxiety?

xtremx
17-02-13, 18:58
I think being alone as I find sometimes if anyone is around it distracts me from my main goal and it may sound strange but sometimes I think it is more distressing for others to see.

steveo
17-02-13, 18:59
I have just started back on Citalopram (just increased to 30mg today) and I've also just started today Pregabalin. Also Diazapam. I was fine for the last few years, came off citalopram and now for the entire of 2013 I've suffered a mental breakdown.
My dad has had to come up and stay with me but when I feel panic coming on, I have to ask him to leave my room or I have to go to my room and close the door.
I'm struggling badly at the moment with this chemical warfare on my brain.

Nicola joannidis
17-02-13, 19:14
I'm the same I came off citalpram last August. In December I woke up with an anxiety attack. I have been back on citalpram now for 5 weeks and 2 weeks on 30 but I seem to be having a blip at the moment.

Col
17-02-13, 20:47
Being alone is best for me, I feel the attention and over reaction from other people such as my mother or dad - would make me miles worse!!! As if it isn't bad enough.

Alone, pacing the house

maximus1975
17-02-13, 20:48
i just wanna be on my own my mums boyfriend is downstairs and think im a wimp and doesnt believe in panic attacks, so instead of getting some support i have to suffer in silence,
im interested to no what happens to you guys in a full blown attack?

Col
17-02-13, 20:53
i just wanna be on my own my mums boyfriend is downstairs and think im a wimp and doesnt believe in panic attacks, so instead of getting some support i have to suffer in silence,
im interested to no what happens to you guys in a full blown attack?

I'm not violent but I've had an horrific week end and a person that says - they don't believe in panic attacks FRANKY needs a :buttkick:

I hope he friggin gets one, then he'll be sorry, idiot!

Daisy Sue
17-02-13, 21:13
I want someone there, and for them to know I'm not feeling good... but I do get over it better if I can leave the room and go lie down.

maximus1975
17-02-13, 21:26
i find it very hard to sit still i start going round the house like a nutcase , i then pick up something to read but the words just dont go in i have rang 999 on several occasions where ive thought i was dieing.
do other people get panic attacks this bad

Col
17-02-13, 21:47
Yep!!! I've had one where I got in a strangers car because I was disorientated, and felt like I was gonna collapse in the middle of town. Another I literally paced the house and couldn't breath for over an hour -pacing the house! Another whilst having a migraine clinging to my husbands neck like a monkey, on the landing upstairs pleading and crying uncontrollably to call an ambulance! I get disorientated, heart beats like I've had a fast race, can not get a grip , loose focus , everything feels weired and out of place even things I'm used to, I get an almighty feeling of collapse NOT faint - collapse. I just want to run infact do try and run to where I can collect myself and feel safe. I can NOT concentrate NO ONE can calm me down! An absolute nightmare NO wonder why I ended up agrophobic after feeling like that every time I was out. Horrendous.

maximus1975
17-02-13, 22:03
col i could have written all that myself are u not so agrophobic now? i should never have played pool friday night then i wouldnt have drank , and wouldnt be feeling so rough now ,
its all very well these books saying dont be scared off attacks they cant kill you yeh this maybe true but they will really mess your mind up

PanchoGoz
17-02-13, 22:19
Locked in my room with facebook

steveo
17-02-13, 22:52
This is really interesting! I've had panic attacks since I was 6 (am 28 now) but I don't think I've ever seen anyone have a panic attack so wasn't sure how they react.

If things are really bad I like to call my dad on the phone. He has a very calm voice and talks to me about other things which really work so good.

I thought I was the only one who likes being locked in a room on my own but clearly not!

Chrissy88
18-02-13, 06:15
It changes. At times I need to be alone as being around others just makes me panic more, but other times I like to have my bf with me because he's the only person who can help calm me down sometimes.

ricardo
18-02-13, 08:17
"Just interested to know what people prefer to do during a panic attack or times of heightened anxiety."

I don't think there is a definite answer to this as it depends on the circumstances as to where you are when having a panic attack.

If at home I would prefer to be on my own but in a perfect scenario know that my wife is in another part of the house as for how many times one experiences these attacks there often remains a slight doubt that one may need help afterwards depending on how long the effects last.
Having experienced panic attacks in the street (never far from my house)when on my own I have learnt not to try to rush back home as that increases anxiety but to take a little longer to recover and then slowly walk home .Never a pleasant experience but having had so many,know it's not fatal.

emmasaurus
18-02-13, 11:24
Maximus - yes, I've had panics that bad. Even now, I react to panic as I would an electric shock - I leap up, start pacing, sit on the edge of my seat, pace more; all the while clutching the phone to me just 'in case'. I find being alone very difficult - partly, I guess, because I still worry that it's something more than panic. That I've been too stressed and inactive for so long that, even if there wasn't anything physically wrong when all this started, I've now damaged my heart or whatever (not helped by the many ectopics I feel). I seem to always think that each panic will be the end of me. So, yeah; being alone is the worst thing for me. I need my boyfriend or parents with me.

xvolatileheart
18-02-13, 12:25
I like to be on my own and get in bed but with my husband home so I can tell him in case something bad happens. When I have one in public I do my best to hide it and that stresses me out more.

And yes I have had panic attacks that bad! I've shouted at my husband that I need an ambulance, I'm dying, this isn't like my other attacks, I'm going to faint, my heart is going to stop, shaking uncontrollably, walking inside and outside and back again, etc.

BridgetW
20-02-13, 18:59
I want to be on my own during the peak of my attack and then when I start to come out of it I can allow my guy to be around me. The attack itself is bad enough and then recovering from it is also difficult. The shacking, nerves on end, mind numbing all is an issue. :scared15:

fishman65
21-02-13, 17:24
If I'm out,then having my wife with me is very helpful...having said that,with all her illnesses,that isn't often these days.

At home,I'm best left alone.

Luckyduck
22-02-13, 02:54
I used to want to be alone. I spent a long time shutting myself away.

Now since having therpy my panic attacks have all but gone but i have general anxiety as a constant. I do like to be with someone when im anxious. I tend to say " im feeling a bit nervous or anxious" and then they talk to me about it. Logically and i challenge my thoughts. " why am i feeling anxious right now"? And i come to a conclusion : e.g im in a new place or busy shop etc. but having someone to be with me is nicer.

little wren
22-02-13, 09:32
It really depends - the only person I would even feel acceptable seeing me panicky in my own home is my hubby. However, outside sometimes the distraction of another person helps.

Col
22-02-13, 17:19
It's all a BIG BLUR, to be honest, disorientated , breathless wrek. If people who are annoying to start with get in my way, I'd possibly scream at them , fuss really grates me!
I need to be left alone or get to where I'm alone & feel safe.

puppyskin
24-02-13, 23:05
:ohmy:On my own no doubt,i can't even stand the dog being in the same room,everything just freaks me out,i start looking in the mirror,look at my watch ,fiddle with my face,go back to the mirror pull my tongue out,pick up a leaflet,pace round the room,talk to myself..get in bed,get out of bed,look at my watch...realise i'm not wearing a watch........youi get the picture :wacko:

Kells81
24-02-13, 23:17
I have to be on my own because I worry that it might freak someone else out to see it and that would make me panic even more!
A couple of weeks ago though i was getting alot of attacks so I warned my mum that if I start saying to her I can't breathe etc then it is just a panic attack and that she doesn't need to worry etc-she surprised me by knowing more about it than I thought she would which made me think she might actually be a big help to me during an attack if I gave her the chance!

bernie1977
24-02-13, 23:31
I definitely have to be on my own in my bedroom. I get on my bed and have a bottle of water close by. Sometimes I can lay down other times not, it depends on how much I'm hyperventilating.

I prefer to be on my own as I fear I'll be ill - vomiting, fainting, go mad or even die! One of my main fears of a panic attack is embarrassment in front of others. This led to me becoming housebound as the fear of having a panic attack in front of people was so great. This then ledto me stopping family and friends coming round as I feared having a panic attack in front of them.