PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal and chest pain during sleep time - ended up in the hospital

Junot
18-02-13, 00:31
Hi everyone.

Last night I faced something I have never had before. After falling asleep for about 30min I woke up with an abdominal discomfort (like squeezing and/or mild burning) that started to irradiate to the left part of my chest (right above the breast), neck and upper back accompanied by an urge to defecate. I have experienced similar symptoms - pretty common in me - before BUT never did I wake up with this! This fact left me absolutely fearful, ad I thought that it could only be a myocardial infarction. My heart started racing up to sustained 140bpm and I could feel it beating, among other symptoms such as lightheadness.

I called my mom and we decided to call an ambulance to rush me to the hospital. I got an ECG done, normal only with sinusal tachycardia, I got my ions checked, normal as well, and cardiac markers determined (creatine kinase, cardiac troponins and myoglobin). Only creatine kinase was only a bit over the normal range, so the doctor repeated the exam 6 hours after. Normal, so any cardiac organical event ruled out once again.

I've been through this for 6 years now and have seen from general practioners, neurologists, psychyatrists and cardiologists and all rule out a cardiac basis for my symptoms, diagnosing panick/anxiety. But still I am always so afraid and worried about heart problems because of the symptomology. It's like it's stronger than me.

So, all this to ask you guys if any of you have ever woken up during your night sleep feeling these sort of symptoms (palpitations, chest/abdominal discomfort, and so forth). The fact of waking up in my sleep feeling like this truly scared the hell out of me in a way that I was not able to control.

nomorepanic
18-02-13, 00:52
Have they never suggested indigestion/acid reflux type of thing?

Junot
18-02-13, 01:13
Have they never suggested indigestion/acid reflux type of thing?

Some have and I've been on medicines for that before but found no relief. Actually I had a gastric endoscopy done before and I have a dysfunctional cardia which means that my stomach allows reflux. I've been wondering if this might be the cause of this sort of downward spiral of symptoms as well. Still to find a doctor that gives me a clear cut answer. I'm always trying to find organical causes to my diagnosed anxiety/panic...

justice38
18-02-13, 02:33
Do you use caffeine?

Junot
18-02-13, 13:07
Do you use caffeine?

Yes, I drink like a latte per day or so. I notice that sometimes it triggers some weird abdominal symptoms (like my belly stats getting bloated) and then they irradiate to the chest (feels like something is moving inside it) and I start feeling anxious. But I can get the very same symptoms with no cafeine so it's weird... Anyone can relate?