PDA

View Full Version : Where do I belong?

Meewah
18-02-13, 05:13
I was reading some of the forum headings earlier and then I thought where do I put myself? Do I suffer from Panic Attacks, well rarely. Do I put myself under General or social anxiety? Health anxiety?

I think the problem is I have a little of all of these. I am mainly concerned with Death of me or my Family due to ill health so that makes me a Health anxiety sufferer, Yes? Well I also started with and still suffer with social situations even though I can talk to people I find small talk very difficult, I don't have the general interests like others, football, sports, politics. I find myself feeling extremely self conscious to the point that in a pub or cafe environment I am so tense I cant hold a glass or cup still and usually spill the contents. So that makes me socially anxious Yes?

Well to cut a long story short I wondered if I had GAD? Yet I don't worry about the smaller things. There I go I am worrying about what type of anxiety I have?

I told y doc the other day that I had General anxiety and he shrugged his shoulders as if to say oh dear. Does that mean I have pigeon holed myself? Should I see him and tell him its Health anxiety with a good handful of social anxiety?

Not sure who I am any more??

Mee

Daisy Sue
18-02-13, 08:17
Hiya Mee, I'm a little like that too.... to be honest I didn't realise that health anxiety had it's own label until I joined here. lol.

I think I have general anxiety, although I'm not a visibly anxious person... and I do tend to only get panic attacks with regard to my health.. however I do worry far too much about other people, their safety, the what if situations, etc.. and I have safety behaviour, like sitting at the end of a row in the cinema, near the door, behind the driver on a coach etc..

Maybe we don't need to label ourselves exactly, maybe it's just enough to acknowledge we suffer from anxiety. I would imagine that most sufferers cross over with the different aspects of anxiety anyway.

Meewah
19-02-13, 10:54
Thanks Daisy.

As humans I think we have this need to belong. I know this sounds weird but I sometimes wonder what would I do if I had nothing to worry about, What if we had no anxiety?? I would lose contact with fellow sufferers, My life would change dramatically. For the better?? I'm unsure. May be we are all given a reason to live and this is ours. I do like to feel I have a pigeon hole to sit in, if you know what I mean??

Mee

Daisy Sue
19-02-13, 11:22
Hi Mee...yes I know what you mean, however I've never thought of it like that before. It does make sense, particularly if our anxiety has isolated us from other things and people in our lives..

:)

manwithnoname
19-02-13, 11:28
I agree with what has been said so far, I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on for 30 years and I have often thought exactly where do I belong in deciding what I am suffering from. I would say it is largely GAD with depression - they are very closely linked. For me it is more anxiety then depression recently so I think my medication is starting to help with the depression.

rb1978
19-02-13, 12:20
I can relate to this - my main anxiety is health related and that's where the major triggers are for me. it all started with symptoms and me panicking about them.

Then gradually panic disorder has come into it.

I am a pretty anxious person anyway and rarely feel laidback about anything to be honest.

I take meds for the anxiety but I do get depression as well.

I suppose because I'm fed up with all the other symptoms and worries.

manwithnoname
19-02-13, 14:21
I do find it difficult to live with but with help from my meds I know I will recover with time - I don't find talking therapies help as medics don't really want to understand the root causes

rb1978
19-02-13, 16:49
I think you have a point about root causes. I had talking therapy but as the root cause of my problems is (I think) a series of bereavements, I'm really not sure what anyone can do about it.

I sometimes feel like I have so many different elements to my problems (HA, panic, depression, phobias etc) that I find it hard to know where to begin really. Which comes back to not knowing where you fit into it all really :blush:

manwithnoname
19-02-13, 16:59
I can see your point about not knowing where your symptons fit in but i'm sure identifying the root cause or causes could be the key to overcoming your difficulties

iamlove
19-02-13, 21:47
GAD in most cases is linked to depression aswel. i think when you are suffering with bad anxiety it makes you depressed because you can't live the normal life you want.