PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to take the next big step

KCam11
18-02-13, 08:29
Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking around and occasionally posting on this for a few months now. Im looking for some support at the moment. I have been overcoming my panic and anxiety since September and have done and gotten through almost everything that used to make me panic except one.

My first panic attack in years came at a concert in September and I have not been to one since. I dont like that I can only stand during the concert. There are so many people and what if I just faint in the middle of them.

I have a concert with my boyfriend on Friday that I had bought before this became an issue and I really want to go and tough it out. Im just so scared something will happen and Ill have to leave again.

Anyone overcome their biggest fear? Is it worth all the stress?

Kristen

Tufty
18-02-13, 10:51
Yes, yes, yes - it is worth all the stress!

Try your best to go, you don't have to enjoy it, you don't have to stay till the end but use the concert as practice of coping with your anxiety. So what if you faint (which is hardly unlikely) you won't be the first person to faint at a concert, try to not think about the what if's and picture yourself standing there enjoying the music, the atmosphere and being proud of how far you have come. See yourself in a positive way but if a wave of panic comes, think oh yes this happened before but I've learnt more about anxiety and remember the panic reaction is your bodies way responding to the enviroment you are in, a concert is an adrenaline provoking situation for us with sensitised nerves. If you feel unable to cope, try moving to another spot, concentrating on those around you and give yourself time - think I'll stay to the end of the next song and see how I feel then ' it's likely that by then you'll feel better.

My biggest fears have been about holidays, I dislike being away from home, I don't mind flying and I think the stress of preparing for a family holiday doesn't help but when I'm away I panic. I have not completely overcome this fear but I have had several foreign holidays in the past 8 years with no panic, yet others I have had acute anxiety for days. It is tough but I will continue to go away and practice coping with anxiety. It's not going to kill me (although sometimes it feels that way) and I won't let anxiety rule my life.

You are probably a bit younger than me and please don't let anxiety rule your life either. You will probably always be prone to anxiety and panic but learning to accept this as a positive personality trait and strategies to manage your anxiety will help you lead a fulfilling life.

Never give up practicing coping with panic attacks, eventually you'll be practice perfect.

Love Sam

KCam11
24-02-13, 14:34
Sam,

I just wanted to thank you for your response! I went to the concert and had a great time. I didnt have any issues. If I left anything start to creep up I would just remind myself...who cares if I faint and it would go away!

Thanks again!!

lashes
24-02-13, 16:13
Well done ! :) my biggest fear is going abroad and I'm thinking of goin this year I worry about fainting on the plane so reading that u had a gud time has inspired me to do it ! X

Annie0904
24-02-13, 16:20
KCam I am pleased you got to the concert and had a good time. As Sam has said, it is only by facing our fears that we can overcome them. I had a panic attack on a plane once but I went on one again. My therapist said why let the fear of a panic attack spoil a holiday. I still get anxious before I go but I just think the worst that can happen is I will have another panic attack but I have had them so many times before and they have never done me any harm. :)

lashes
24-02-13, 16:25
Great advice i guess it really dosent matter if i have one on the plane I'm feeling really positive about going now me and my partner are looking at Spain I've refused to go for the last few years so he's so excited I'm not great in the sun tho always get sunstroke and burn because I'm so pale lol x

Annie0904
24-02-13, 16:33
I have booked to go to Croatia and just keep telling myself I will be fine when I get there :)

lashes
24-02-13, 16:57
Oo how exciting ive heard its lovely there I'm v sure you will be fine and have a brilliant time i haven't been for a few years and I've only ever been with family so I hope i have a good time with my patner i thik he would rather sunbathe alday and i would rather go markets and shopping so wil have to compromise! there's a lot of what ifs going round but I no if I didn't go I'd feel bad so may aswel give it a go ! X

Annie0904
24-02-13, 17:13
I can't sit sunbathing on holiday, I have to be wandering about all the time...I guess that is all part of anxiety too :)

flossie
24-02-13, 18:21
Well done for going to the concert :yesyes:

Tufty
24-02-13, 20:55
Well done Kristen, I hope your confidence has improved as a result too.

I'm not good with foreign holidays either, I don't mind flying but it's the stress of getting everything ready and being so far from home, even though when I panic I can panic anywhere. Your posts have renewed my desire to go abroad this year, we didn't last year but I really want to go as its probably the last year my daughter will come with us. We'll all get there x

KCam11
10-03-13, 10:03
I completely understand traveling and anxiety. Its always worth it though!! Anxiety will not get the best of us! :)

cazzy
10-03-13, 10:12
well done KCam 11 , well done !! xx Thank you Tuffty im going to act on your advice ...and well done and well going all of you, im hoping to post a few threads of how i been getting on ,but feel il jinx myself lol , but i love reading these successes it gives me hope xx