PDA

View Full Version : pain between shoulder blades and vomiting

EmilyK83
18-02-13, 13:36
New one for me, so I'm not convinced that it's caused by anxiety :-/

Woke up on Saturday morning with a horrible pain between my shoulder blades, and then suddenly felt really nauseous and had to go and be sick. My heart was really weird at the time too, fast but not as fast as I've had it before, but it felt like the beats were running together, if that makes sense?

This morning my back still doesn't feel right, and I've managed to make a same day appointment with my dr.

Am sure there must be a logical explanation for this but my head's telling me to fear the worst :(

Daisy Sue
18-02-13, 13:40
You can get acid pain going through to your back, exactly where you describe.. hopefully it's just some kind of gastric flare & your doc can give you something for it.

HoneyLove
18-02-13, 13:50
Yeah I sometimes get a pain between my shoulder blades from gastritis. It can cause you to vomit too. Your doctor will help you out, it's good you're going to see them. For the moment just focus on relaxation to bring the anxiety down, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. Hope you feel better soon x

EmilyK83
18-02-13, 14:11
Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest a bit. I do suffer with reflux but never had this back pain and vomiting before which is why it rang alarm bells :(

GP's receptionist told me on the phone that the dr wants a urine sample too which has panicked me a bit, in the waiting room now, trying to stay calm :-/ x

EmilyK83
19-02-13, 08:07
Pain's got worse this morning :( No vomiting, but the whole of my rib cage feels painful, like it's being squeezed. Feel like I can't take a full breath and my throat's got that squeezed feeling too :( Gonna have to call in sick to work which I hate doing - am already on a written warning for absence :(

Daisy Sue
19-02-13, 11:01
How did it go at the docs? Did he/she give you anything?

EmilyK83
19-02-13, 12:59
Told me to double my omeprazole dosage for a few days to see if it makes a difference, and if not, they'll scan for gallstones :( Pretty sure I'm too young for gallstones :-/

HoneyLove
19-02-13, 13:35
For a long time I was taking my omeprazole the wrong way, until a doctor explained to me how it works! You might know how to take it properly already, but it's worth mentioning because you never know :). It *must* be taken on an empty stomach to work properly, and don't eat anything for at least a half hour. Take it with plenty of water to make sure that big tablet gets washed down fully. It takes a couple of weeks for its full effect to kick in.

I take 40mg omeprazole per day, and find it much better to take 20mg before breakfast and the other 20mg before bed - but don't cut the tablet in half, just ask your pharmacist to give it to you in half dose tablets instead of the full dose. Might be a good idea to discuss it with your doc first.

I also find that manuka honey and Aloe Vera juice are very soothing to the stomach. But again, I take them on an empty stomach and leave it a while before eating.

The pain, nausea & heart palpitations you have are all things I've had from gastritis too, which initially I got from a stomach infection but now it tends to flare up when I'm stressed or anxious. I hope that it's a similar problem for you and not gallstones, you might be just like me and far too young to have them :) Gastritis is easier to solve, you just need to watch what you eat and learn to manage your stress levels.

For the moment help your tummy out by drinking lots of water & keeping a diet that won't aggravate your pain. If you google a gastritis diet you might find some helpful info on what foods to avoid. X

squeek2211
29-04-13, 19:48
I had exactly same n turned out it was gallstones, After I ate I would get breathless tighg chest n between my shoulder blades immediately made better by making myself sick n sure enough got gall bladder out n helped a lot, I get similar pain from my haital hernia, I think the gall stones were causing that to hurt more too but I was surprised at diagnoses of gallstones at 27

Munchlet
29-04-13, 21:03
Hi

When I read your post the first thing that came to mind was gallbladder. I've know a few people who have had this and they all complained of vomitting and pain that radiated around the shoulder area.

I don't know how old you are but my friends son had to have his gallbladder out last year due to this and he was only 17.

Try not to worry even if it easy gallstones it's very easily treated :)

pixar1982
03-05-13, 09:47
Hi

I know this is an older post but I'm going through something similar for last 2 weeks (minus the vomiting) and been getting myself in a state! I've just joined this forum as I've self diagnosed myself with every life threatening illness going over my lifetime so figured, health anxiety! :blush: I suffer from IBS and I have had these symptoms before in last 6 months and been prescribed Omeprazole. Just wondered what the outcome was?

EmilyK83
21-05-13, 23:18
Only just seen this, sorry...!

Doubling the omeprazole dosage seemed to work, so the GERD must just have been really bad for some reason :-/

AllIhaveisme
22-05-13, 00:41
You aren't too young for Gallstones. It may be rare but not impossible. My sister had her gall bladder removed at 17. My mom had hers removed as well. It's in our family.