PDA

View Full Version : First timer, should I take at night or day? Nearly feinted today.

Rypps
18-02-13, 15:07
Hi guys,

I have been prescribed Citolopram 20mg for Anxiety. I take it in the morning and am on day 5 today.

The first couple of days were fine, day 3 and 4 I had major loss of apetite but nothing too unpleasant. Today while I was at the bus stop (about 40 minutes after taking my tablet) I felt really dizzy, sweats, and I actually had to lay down.. bit embarassing, 5 minutes later I was ok.

I don't know if that was because of the meds or because I did not eat anything yesterday.

A friend of mine suggested I take them at night, so I don't need to deal with the "kicking in" feeling, and when I wake up it might not be so bad, but I am concerned if I do that I will have trouble sleeping and do not want it to affect my work. Eitehr that or I wait to take my tablet until I'm at work, at least I'll be safe if I flake out.

I'm really hoping the SE's don't get worse than this, I will stick with it, but would really appreciate your advice, I don't have anyone else I can ask.

Kindest regards,

Adam

Pigeon
18-02-13, 15:15
Hi Adam

I am on same dosage as you and I don't really think it makes much difference what time of day you take them. The nast side effects will wear off prettty quickly and you'll soon settle down.
I'm no expert but I suspect your dizzy spell was more to do with low blood sugar through not eating. Try to bear with it and I'm sure you'' soon start to feel better.

Take care

Pigeon:)

Rypps
18-02-13, 15:18
Thanks Pigeon, I will try and force myself to eat in the morning. I've never been a breakfast person though I must admit :)

steveo
18-02-13, 15:53
One of my GP's once told me to take the tablets at the same time each morning. Done that for years. They have a fairly long half life so it doesn't really matter too much. Give them a month and they will be in your system and stop any horrible side effects.

Bare with it :)

bab
18-02-13, 18:26
I always take mine at night so you sleep through the side effects

Rypps
19-02-13, 08:54
I had another episode this morning. I made sure I ate breakfast so it's not feeling feint through lack of eating.

At the same time, I was on the bus, and all of a sudden I had a tngly feeling down my body, then got extremely sweaty, I mean it was pouring off me, I felt hot, dizzy and sick, my vision started going and I had to shut my eyes. Lucky I had a bottle of water with me just in case but I was pretty scared and it lasted 5 minutes.

Is this normal? I'm on day 6 now and starting to wish I never started, just waiting on a call back from the NHS direct and after today I'm booking off the rest of the week from work.

karenp
19-02-13, 09:21
It's totally normal and will pass like every one has said....I have taken Citalopram both morning and night and it made no difference but always had the hot flushing very early mornings but it really didn't last long (:

Charlie11
19-02-13, 09:47
Hi rypps. You could ask your gp for diazipam to help with the side effects. Mines gave me 2 x 5 mgs for two weeks and it really helped. :hugs:

Rypps
19-02-13, 10:10
Hi guys,

Thankyou once again for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Rennie1989
20-02-13, 10:26
I've taken Citalopram at night and day time and can't say that I noticed a difference. A doctor did recommend to me that if you get side effects then take them at night, that way you sleep through the side effects.