PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners - TV (40D)

Serenitie
18-02-13, 22:33
What a brilliant business idea ~ nothing like playing to your strengths!!!

I haven't watched this yet, but love the concept. Thought I'd post so people can take a look...

SERIES SYNOPSIS
Linda Dykes is a compulsive cleaner from North Wales. She loves cleaning so much she's set up her own cleaning agency.

Linda believes that compulsive cleaners have a special set of skills that could change the habits of the nation, and so she's teaming up with other obsessive cleaners to help clean Britain's dirty homes and filthy public spaces.

Each week these compulsive cleaners are carefully matched with someone whose home is in dire need of a major 'spring clean'.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/obsessive-compulsive-cleaners/articles/denise-interview

PanchoGoz
19-02-13, 00:06
Would be most interested on whether this makes the sufferers better or worse! Should they make use of the obsession or try to focus on it less? Hmm

little wren
19-02-13, 07:14
[QUOTE=Serenitie;1121193]

B]
...Linda Dykes is a compulsive cleaner from North Wales. She loves cleaning so much she's set up her own cleaning agency....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/obsessive-compulsive-cleaners/articles/denise-interview[/QUOTE

Hi serenitie (lovely name):)

Is this programme about ocd?

I am so glad it works for her it is a blessing. I truly believe in making each situation we encounter whether good or bad into something positive if we can.

However, if this programme is about ocd then I think they are not really reflecting it - part of diagnosis of ocd is that you don't 'love' the compulsions (i.e. to clean). It is not like e.g gambling (or something enjoyable whilst your are doing it) there is NO joy in it.

It is like a fear and the only way to reduce that fear is to act on the compulsion. I cannot comprehend how someone with ocd would then go and clean someone elses house.
The only thing I can think of is there must be other 'kinds' of ocd where the compulsion itself is enjoyable - but Ive never heard of that. It would be interesting to hear other ocd sufferers views.
little wren x

oh no_1
19-02-13, 07:54
i watched this!

Serenitie
19-02-13, 21:35
[QUOTE=Serenitie;1121193]

B]
...Linda Dykes is a compulsive cleaner from North Wales. She loves cleaning so much she's set up her own cleaning agency....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/obsessive-compulsive-cleaners/articles/denise-interview[/QUOTE

Hi serenitie (lovely name):)

Is this programme about ocd?

I am so glad it works for her it is a blessing. I truly believe in making each situation we encounter whether good or bad into something positive if we can.

However, if this programme is about ocd then I think they are not really reflecting it - part of diagnosis of ocd is that you don't 'love' the compulsions (i.e. to clean). It is not like e.g gambling (or something enjoyable whilst your are doing it) there is NO joy in it.

It is like a fear and the only way to reduce that fear is to act on the compulsion. I cannot comprehend how someone with ocd would then go and clean someone elses house.
The only thing I can think of is there must be other 'kinds' of ocd where the compulsion itself is enjoyable - but Ive never heard of that. It would be interesting to hear other ocd sufferers views.
little wren x

Hi Little Wren,

I still haven't watched the whole programme. I have seen the first 10 minutes on 4player.

I totally get what you are saying and I was coming from the point of view of working with the the circumstances that you have and making the most of your situation.

When I worked in mental health, the focus of my work, after crisis management was to recognise the strengths of individuals and work towards individual progress based on personal circumstances & strengths.

As someone who suffers from agoraphobia now I am working towards developing a home based business as I still have a lot to offer even though I am not currently able to contribute to a 9 - 5 public working environment.I think that finding strength and developing something positive from adversity is very empowering.

The programme I highlighted features both diagnosed and non diagnosed sufferers of OCD who volunteered to take part in this project. Time will tell if this is sensationalist rubbish or a project with positive outcomes :shrug:

little wren
20-02-13, 07:44
[QUOTE=little wren;1121265]

...When I worked in mental health, the focus of my work, after crisis management was to recognise the strengths of individuals and work towards individual progress based on personal circumstances & strengths.

As someone who suffers from agoraphobia now I am working towards developing a home based business as I still have a lot to offer even though I am not currently able to contribute to a 9 - 5 public working environment.I think that finding strength and developing something positive from adversity is very empowering....

Hi serenitie
I couldn't agree with you more... it is so important to have something positive to work towards after suffering mental health problems. Actually I would go as far as to say it could be THE most important thing once the immediate crisis is managed. It gets you moving forwards and knowing that life can still go on and you can still contribute to it in some way.

I think you have a much needed perspective having been employed in mental health and also understanding what it is really like to experience debilitating mental health probs. Many warm wishes towards your business success whether its in mental health or not.
little wren :)