PDA

View Full Version : Want to go to the doctors but too scared/embarrased.

Ribbit
19-02-13, 07:59
My doctor generally looks upon me with sympathetic eyes as I start to ramble what's wrong and I have made a concerted effort not to go for over a year to really prove I was trying to get on top of my HA.

Trouble is, I've been worrying for over a month after a bout of severe indigestion gave me terrible palps and missed beats. Then last week the disc in my lower neck 'bulged' again (slipped disc) which hasn't gone for ages (is fully proven, although I had to pay privately as my doctor refused to believe it was anything other than muscular pain). When it bulges out it presses on nerves which send pain out across my left shoulder, down my left arm, and up my neck. It also triggers ectopics and terrible indeigestion (probably due to the vagus nerve according to my osteopath). The pain is diminishing but the ectopics and stomach troubles remain.

And for some reason, my one pupil (which has always been bigger since I was in my early 20's about 10 years ago) is even more enlarged. I have had eye tests in the past and there is nothing wrong with it. And I know having had it for that long that it isn't indicative of anything sinister.
But I'm still starting to get freaked out by it.

Then to top it all off I think I've got some kind of virus attacking me too as my lymph glands underneath my armpit (and the sides of my breasts to some extent) are swollen and tender to touch. My jaw has been really painful too for the last 3 day and I know this could be through further swollen lymph node infront of your ears.

So I'm feeling all shades of s**t and I'd like nothing more than to go to the docs and get some reassurance but I'm just too embarrased. When she asks what's wrong and I have a list as long as my arm (and I used to take an actual list so I don't forget anything) I can just see her thinking "are you for real?!".

I was doing so well yet I'm back to analysing everything (and there seems to be so much at the moment!). I'm trying to carry on and keep occupied but my neck is still painful and I feel permenantly fatigued.

Thank you to anyone who managed to read the whole of my ranting. I'm in a bad place and I need to vent. :weep:

Ribbit
20-02-13, 14:41
Wow. 115 views and not 1 person wanted to offer a few words of advice/kindness. I know it was a long post but wow nonetheless.

swgrl09
20-02-13, 14:44
I know how you feel, I suffer from chronic neck pain and it can really wear you down. All I can say is that you won't feel better if you don't go to the doctor. You have nothing to be embarrassed about and will feel relieved after. :hugs:

bab
20-02-13, 14:47
Hi Ribbit
First of all you doctor does not sound very sympathetic. Sometimes with my doc because he knows i suffer with health anxiety they tend to put all symptoms down to anxiety which is very annoying. Can you change doc, or tell him/her that you are concerned your not being taken seriously? Can I ask if you take any medication? Anxiety is draining so no wonder you feel so tired. Be reassured about your eye if all tests have come back ok.