PDA

View Full Version : Swollen arm after blood test

Bonnibelle
19-02-13, 10:55
Worried sick. I had a blood test this morning and on the way home I noticed the area had swollen up:( that area has a raised bump anyway doesn't it in crook of the arm but its definitely raised, very sore and bruising coming it.

I'm worried as I've never swollen up before after a blood test so I am worried sick:(( Is this normal?

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Panicking I will have a blood clot:(((

Daisy Sue
19-02-13, 11:27
It won't be a clot... often the needle doesn't quite go in perfectly, and it can cause a little tissue damage, which will settle in time. The bruising is just showing that there's a little bleeding under the skin, which causes the swelling, and it's completely normal after blood tests, sometimes you can get quite a big bruise from a tiny needle!

If you're really worried, see if you can speak to the practice nurse on the phone... but I'm sure this is nothing to worry about.

RVP
19-02-13, 18:15
This normally happens when you bend your arm after having bloods taken out, and/or if you don't apply pressure straight after the needle coming out.
I've had countless of bloods taken and sometimes it swells up and stays sore for a couple of days, mine went red too.