PDA

View Full Version : High Potassium in blood work

shotokansho
19-02-13, 20:53
Hello everyone.

I was recently in hospital and had a blood test while I was in there. When the results came back the doctor came to see me and told me my potassium levels were high. They didn't re-test for it before I was discharged.
I did something silly and searched high potassium and now it has scared me silly, it seems it's not a good thing to have and could have serious problems. I don't understand why they didn't re-check it, I'm really scared now. Help anyone?

nomorepanic
19-02-13, 21:49
Do you eat lots of bananas?

shotokansho
19-02-13, 22:48
No not really, I like bananas but I don't eat that many, lucky if I get one a week sometimes.

nomorepanic
19-02-13, 23:18
Maybe go and see your doc and ask about it and see if they want to repeat the blood tests

shotokansho
20-02-13, 18:56
Yes I think I will, I am off work this week so will phone them...Thanks

NoPoet
27-02-13, 19:45
If they were unduly concerned they would have advised you while you were in the hospital. As Nic says, see your GP and ask him or her to explain what they meant by "high potassium levels", as it is too vague to mean anything useful. Also, potassium poisoning requires abnormal levels of potassium in the blood, it's unlikely you could overdose on potassium by accident. It's certainly nothing I've ever heard of happening to someone, and I've done a lot of health-related research.