PDA

View Full Version : New here and hoping to help my daughter!

AConcernedMom
19-02-13, 21:21
Hi, My name is Samantha and I am the mother of a 15 year old daughter that has recently been put on Prozac for anxiety attacks. I am hoping to gain some insight into what is going on so that I can actively help her get through this and move on to have a happy, healthy life:)
I have read a couple of threads on here that sound so much like her...having a minor illness and thinking everything in the world that could possibly be wrong is happening to her.
She calls/texts me from school at least once a day telling me of some new ailment she is experiencing. I am concerned that she is making things worse for herself by worrying about it so much, but at the same time, I don't want to look to lightly on it and have something be seriously wrong.
Any help with getting her through this would be greatly appreciated and prayers to all of you that are needing help:)

Annie0904
19-02-13, 21:24
Aww what a lovely Mum you are :) I am sure you will find lots of support for her and yourself here. As a Mum myself I know what it is like to worry about our children.

nomorepanic
19-02-13, 21:32
Hi AConcernedMom

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Tessar
19-02-13, 22:21
How great that you are looking into ways of ensuring you can offer your daughter the best and most constructive advice. I'd love to provide sound advise but casually what you enquire abut isn't an area in which I have direct experience. Annie is right though you will find a lot of support here.
Also before I go, I must say how lovely it is that you have your daughter's best interests at heart. If I were in her shoes and had a caring mum like you, then it would make me feel really good.

Serenitie
19-02-13, 22:31
What a wonderful mother you are! Your daughter is so lucky to have you and your commitment to support her.

You do not need to be an expert in anxiety to help your daughter. That said, you will pick up invaluable information and support here.

Letting your daughter know that you love her unconditionally and will always be there for her, even if you don't have all of the answers is immense support and provides the acceptance she needs to make progress and maintain a wonderful relationship with you.

I wish you and your daughter every success and happiness :hugs:

Daisy Sue
19-02-13, 23:39
Hi Samantha, & welcome :)

I just wondered, does your daughter appear to experience more symptoms of illness on school days than weekends/holidays?

My own daughter developed very real stomach pains, pretty much continually for months, until I took her out of that particular school... she didn't display any other anxiety symptoms, but I did feel she was heading into depression, purely because of problems at the school.