PDA

View Full Version : Is this anxiety? to do lists!

HypoCanuck
19-02-13, 22:23
I get on these crazy kicks where i have to write lists - specifically to do lists and i often send myself emails as a reminder of things to do or get done.

This goes on to the point i send myself the same things over and over, and its like my mind cannot shut down - i keep thinking of things i need to get done and its everything.

I get on these kicks for say month or so - then i get on the researching medical illnesses, and get so freaked out.

Its such a repetitive cycle i am wondering if i am suffering something else besides anxiety.

perpetualthinker
19-02-13, 22:52
It seems that you're probably suffering from health anxiety/hypochondria as regards to the researching illnesses, as for the list making it could simply be you're a very organised person and it's just a 'quirk' of your personality. Alternatively if the making of lists is having a negative effect on your wellbeing then it might be wise to seek professional help.

Serenitie
19-02-13, 22:56
I am very much a list person :) I view this personal trait very positively as I like to be organised and make lists to work towards personal goals.

Like perpetualthinker says the only time to worry about a trait or behaviour is when it causes you distress or disrupts your daily functioning.

Oosh
19-02-13, 23:32
I do lists.

Whether they're anxiety related depends on your motivation for writing the lists.
The lists can be made up of things you feel you need to do in order to fix something you're anxious about, directly or indirectly.

Sort my wardrobe out (sick of my dull clothes. Not attractive. Anxious about ending up alone. Sorting my wardrobe out is step in right direction.

Call for info on that course (I'm anxious about work.)

If I'm anxious about something ill try to find the solution to make it go away. That solution can then be found on my to do lists. It may be just small steps in the direction of the solution but the underlying motivation is usually an anxiety.