PDA

View Full Version : Ct brain scan?

zippy
21-02-13, 11:56
Is it really dangerous to have one of these?
My gp offered to send me for one to reassure me because I think something's going on with my brain. He said there's risks with it with loads of radiation.I don't really want to have one but I can't get out of my head that something's going on. I had my bloods done a week today that my gp did to reassure me and they were fine. I thought that would have been enough to reassure me but it hasn't. I don't know what to do I don't want one but I feel like I can't accept there is nothing there until I do.
I had one about 8yrs ago so I am worried if I have another it will be a risk.

zippy
21-02-13, 19:41
-

perpetualthinker
21-02-13, 19:49
The amount of radiation is miniscule and besides we are constantly bombarded with radiation every day, so a little more isn't going to hurt :winks:. But seriously, I certainly think the benefits of a CT scan outweigh the cons and it's worth having done, if not only for your peace of mind.

Annie0904
21-02-13, 20:18
My oldest son has to have a CT brain scan every year.

perpetualthinker
21-02-13, 20:25
I'm sorry to hear that Annie :(

There's only an issue with CT scans if you do it too often, or are pregnant or a child. Admittedly though i'm no expert as i've only had one.

Annie0904
21-02-13, 20:29
He has Chiari malformation so they will check every year to make sure it doesn't get worse.

zippy
21-02-13, 20:34
So it can't be that dangerous if your son has to have one every year Annie? I think I am going to have to have one for peace of mind.

Daisy Sue
21-02-13, 20:47
Zippy I've had so many x-rays and scans over the years I should be glowing in the dark!

If a test is needed on you, for whatever reason, then the radiation issue shouldn't get in the way of your decision.. and my thinking is that if you're convinced that nothing else is going to give you the reassurance you need to get over this hurdle, & get rid of the worry, then I'd say go for it.

perpetualthinker
21-02-13, 20:57
Sorry Zippy I didn't mean to scare you, I only thought you should be aware of what you were doing. In my first comment I said you should go for it and I stick by it. Certainly there are dangers with over-exposure to CT scan radiation, but having 2 CT scans is probably harmless. Daisy Sue is completely right, the peace of mind it will give you is the most important aspect. Once again sorry for any anxiety caused.

zippy
21-02-13, 21:09
No you didn't scare me, it was the doctor that scared me saying about the risks.

i love tea
21-02-13, 22:11
Hi Zippy, I really think the risk here is not the radiation but the fact that this won't reassure you - as you said in another post, you thought you'd feel better after the blood tests came back clear, but you didn't. CT scans can't diagnose MS (which I know is one of your fears) so would you really be reassured if the scan comes back clear?

I'm sorry to sound so negative but my worry is that a short term gain (in terms of reassurance) will not be worth the long term need for more tests, as unfortunately the reassurance will not last forever. If your doctor was sure you needed a scan, it would certainly be important to go ahead, but from what I understand, that's not the case...

I wish you well x

Magic
21-02-13, 22:34
Don't think there is anything to worry about having the scan Zippy:hugs:
Try not to worry:hugs:

luvlifensmile
21-02-13, 23:06
i've had 5 and one MRI since november...all needed done prior and after brain surgery