PDA

View Full Version : new here and I am having driving anxiety

brellalad
22-02-13, 07:33
Hi,
I am new here and I am having driving anxiety.

So, most of my worst panic is while driving, in particular highway driving. Klonopin helps with local highways around my home town for the most part, but I would say not more than 20 to 30 minute drives. I still get break through panic at times and then take back roads. Thank goodness for GPS!

I have a new job that will require me to take a major interstate to a larger city for training that is 2 and a half hours a way. I HAVE to do this, but I am already sooo nervous about the panic attack issue. I feel I am almost certain to encounter them even through Klonopin.

I will have to take this trip twice in March, which means 4 times on the interstate for a prolonged period of time.

I am reaching out to my HW friends for any ideas or suggestions. I did just purchase 2 books on CD thinking maybe that will help; however, I must say, I have to turn music off usually when driving on the highway because it makes me more anxious. I will try over the next 2 weeks prior to my first trip to drive on local highways and test out the CD's.

Anyone else out there have this issue? I cannot lose my job. It's a new job after being laid off for 4 months, and I do love it! Plus, I do not want to allow this disorder to rule my life, but panic is panic - it takes hold whenever it wants to and there is no "just add water, stir, mix" solution......

nomorepanic
22-02-13, 07:44
Hi brellalad

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
22-02-13, 12:28
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Grey.
22-02-13, 15:59
I know how your feeling, I've had panic attacks while driving too. Try not to worry about it too much and I know that is a frustrating answer because its not so easy to just not worry about it but it does make it worse if your stressing over it. I don't know what else to suggest because your already taking something for it. When I start feeling the panic I usually just do breathing exercises and try to relax. Hope I helped a bit :)

Mark13
22-02-13, 18:26
Hello and :welcome:to the forum.