PDA

View Full Version : help....need a chest x ray

**whenwillthisend**
07-09-06, 22:17
hi
not good tonight, been to the docs this afternoon, has i have suffered from chest tightness for 9 months(since start of anxiety)...cant really cope nomore, its worries and annoys me, so saw my usual doc who knows my history of anxiety and as referred me for most of my other tests. He is brilliant and understands me and my problems..doesnt cast me aside like all the other docs i have seen.....
when i first went in i carried on about the chest discomfort i am constantly getting and straight away he said its just anxiety BUT i will even arrange a chest xray as he knew my mind would not be put at rest till i got one and knew it was clear.......

so im so worried now ,as i have this tightness almost constantly at the minute, he listened to my chest...(my heart was racing and jumping and bp was 140/80)....he seemed to listen ages to my chest and then wrote something down about my right side and drew a arrow pointing downwards?!!! what does this mean???
he said it was okay and i could have anxiety induced asthma developing......
but need the chest xray to exclude other things!!!!!!!!!!!!!
once he knows the xray is clear he will try me on an inhaler and see if it helps my chest problems....but he thought it was muscular with a possibility of asthma
im so scared...i have diagnosed myself with lung disease
and of cause its terminal
been googling (stupid) pictures of chest xrays and all the nasties i could have
im 26 never smoked.what are the chances of me having lung disease???
cant ring hospital till monday for an appointment
i hope its not weeks.......cant bear the wait
sorry its so long winded........but im petrifiedx

lass
07-09-06, 22:44
Hi, Sorry you are feeling so worried. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - my GP said more or less the same about my tummy/bowel problems - that she was convinced it was anxiety related (IBS) but that she knew I wouldn't rest until this was proved to me, so she referred me for tests.

Doctors don't say this if they think something is really wrong!

From my little medical knowledge of typing up health screens, it sounds like what the doctors I type for call bronchospasm; something to do with inspiration and expiration rates, I can't remember exactly, but it is really common and not anything to worry about, lots of people have it and it can be seen as mild asthma.

As you say, you have no particular risk of lung disease with your age and the fact that you are not a smoker.

It all seems really bad and scary today, but hopefully over the next few days you will be able to put it slightly to the back of your mind (until your appointment comes through).

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Tests are a mixed blessing - you'll have great reassurance when they come back fine, but the waiting and anticipation is just the worst.

missacorah
08-09-06, 09:31
Was glad to read that the doctor thought your problems were muscular related as I am having similar things at the moment adn am so worried. I have an appointment at the doctors at 10.20am today and am terrified!I am sure you will get on okay and your doctor sounds really supportive.

matilda
08-09-06, 19:29
I worked as a student nurse on a thracic (lung) surgery ward as part of my training. In the time i was there only one person came in with something nasty who did not smoke. This was classed as so unusual that loads of med students had to come and see her. Don't worry you're fine!!!