PDA

View Full Version : Ddcoo tongue cancer week 3 of radiotherapy

Ddcoo
23-02-13, 12:41
Hi everyone, I am back with another update, but I guess it will be pretty boring stuff right now. My poor old body doesn't know if it is coming or going. On the positive front I am getting used to the mask and the radiotherapy machine (for those that are a bit of a medical buff the proper name of the machine is a LINEAR ACCELERATOR).

I am pretty fed up with myself now, I have had the sore throat for over a week and apparently it gets worse from now on. Yes I have been given stronger painkillers but unfortunately they gave me a headache so I have had to revert to the first ones, but I also have been given some sort of morphine liquid to use if it gets really painful, so I have that in hand.

I think I am changing into a hampster as when I woke this morning and looked in the mirror my neck has swollen and my jowels and it is all bright red, so if anyone wants an extra for a movie for a big hampster, then I'm your woman.

It is the medication that is really getting me down, there is so much of it and it all tastes like glue or cardboard and so does my food as the radiation has killed off my taste buds. I got a bottle of pure orange juice the other day as all I wanted was something tasty and cool and I took one swig and it was like drinking battery acid. I will be so glad when the next 3 weeks are overand my body will, over a period of a few weeks, return to something more normal, although I understand the taste buds can take up to a year to recover.

On a lavatorial front I am swinging between constipation and diarrhoea, but that is tmi probably. I am also very tired most of the time and tend to be getting ready for bed by 9pm.

I am half way there now and hanging onto that, and by the time I post next week I will have had my final chemotherapy too on Thursday, so more joy to look forward to.

So, sorry this is a bit of a downer this week, but nobody said it would l be fun, and again to you all, live your life to the full as best you can, because none of us knows what is round the next corner.

I send you all my best wishes and please keep on supporting me with your kind words and comments. Love Di.

Justinf
23-02-13, 12:53
Not a downer at all Di. I look forward to your updates. I feel as if i am riding this with you and your updates keep me in the loop. You WILL get through this and it will be a beautiful victory. xxx

nocchi
23-02-13, 13:00
That sounds terrifying but you're making process by the sounds and even if the treatment is hard everything will probably turn out wonderful in the end.

Just a question though, I'm new here so I don't really know any back story and sometimes I worry that I may get tongue cancer since I have linea alba on both sides of my tongue and cheeks which even though I'm told it's harmless I worry that the constant assault from my teeth to my mouth could lead to something worse. So I was wondering how it came about, like how did you/the doctors notice it?

Annie0904
23-02-13, 13:08
Hi Di It amazes me how you keep your great sense of humour going through all of this. After you being so unwell last week I am pleased you have managed to get on the computer to update. I actually printed everyone's comments off and posted them to you just in case you couldn't get to the computer. You can read them again when they arrive :D More hugs for you :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Tessar
23-02-13, 13:50
Awwww Ddcoo - nothing you say would ever be boring my sweet! Your poor body, from what you say is happening - it must be very uncomfortable indeed. And no taste at all, how rough is that. I know what you mean about orange juice being like battery acid. If I think back to the worst sore throats I've ever had then I do remember it being like that.
Naturally I knew it was a LINEAR ACCELERATOR (yeah, as if!!!!). I jest of course because to me it's just a big machine that makes lots of noise and does things to people that have nasty side-effects. I suppose though as a by-product of those side-effects we have to try not to lose track of what this is going to give you ultimately - which is a disease free body. But quite a price to pay in terms of discomfort and suffering.
It seems really daft that stronger painkillers can give you a headache but you are right to revert to the first ones. Listen to me sounding like some kind of expert, but I feel you'd be wise to use the morphine liquid if you suffer much more than you are already.
My cat says she would like a hampster to play with; she loves chasing fluffy things. You could wear something attractive to felines and that would make the game even more enjoyable for her. What do you think?
The taste of Medication always sucks doesnt it and you are having more than your fair share of that at the moment. Glue and cardboard; hmmmm yummy. Do you put sugar on that?
But listen to you ddcoo, focusing on the future; the next 3 weeks being over soon. Your lavatorial info isnt tmi. Its something at some point we have all been afflicted with and right now the last thing you need for sure. Like you say - you are half way there now. Amazing how far you have come and to be getting used to your mask too. The pain and discomfort you are suffering is something I know you knew was coming, but I really feel you are an inspiration to everyone here because you have coped not only with physical things but overcome the psychological aspect of this treatment (i.e. the mask) as well. That is no mean feat. Errrr, your final chemotherapy. As you say more joy to look forward to (not).
You are perfectly entitled to be on a downer and that's what we're here for so that you can let off steam or wind or whatever it is you want to be shot of. Providng of course we are not in the firing line......
I promise I'm doing what I can to live life to the full. You are often in my thoughts and I do wish I could do more to make you feel better. But all any of us can do is our best and that's what I'll try to do for you. Big hugs again as ever. Even bigger this week though because you deserve them my little hampster. Last time I looked like that we labelled me chipmunk chops. Thats coz I had my widom teeth out & I swelled up. I wasnt a pretty sight. Of course my swelling went down and soon you're gonna be there yourself ddcoo. In signing off here's my support, hugs etc in special multi-colour.....

Ddcoo thinking of you Ddcoo Hugs for you Ddcoo thinking of you Ddcoo Hugs for you
Ddcoo thinking of you Ddcoo Hugs for you Ddcoo thinking of you Ddcoo Hugs for you

Ddcoo
23-02-13, 14:07
Just a few comments for those that have replied;
Justin, thank you fior sharing my journey, I am so grateful for your continued support and I look forward to hearing about the next cricket match.

Nocchi; If you click on my Ddcoo next to the teddy bear picture, you can look at all my posts from the time I found out about the cancer in November last year, the whole story is written down there. If you prefer it I could private message you - do let me know which you would prefer.

Annie: my buddy, you know it has been a rotten week and I will get in touch with you some time today. Thank you for everything.

~Tessar; I owe you a big one! I will contact you soon.

Tessar
23-02-13, 14:18
~Tessar; I owe you a big one! I will contact you soon.
ooooh you owe me BIG one....cant wait; what might it be? chocolate? Cream Cake? Coffee? Biscuit? Cant tell I'm food orientated at all can you..........anyway; u done owe me anything more than keeping up the good work; that's good enough for me!!!!!

Magic
23-02-13, 15:59
ddcoo, STAY STRONG XX:hugs::hugs::hugs:

swgrl09
23-02-13, 16:54
I am so sorry about how difficult this has been for you. It sounds really awful. You still remain positive and I admire that. Each day is one day closer to the end of this.

nomorepanic
23-02-13, 17:23
Wow Di you are really going through the mill with this aren't you!

Sending you loads of love and healing thoughts so that you can recover sooner rather than later from the treatment.

xxx

AuntieMoosie
23-02-13, 17:28
You're amazing Di :)

I just wanted to send you gentle, healing and soothing hugs

:hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1: :hugs: :bighug1:

Elen
23-02-13, 17:38
Thanks for the update Di, your courage and good humour are something you should be proud off.

Onwards and upwards for you now.

tc Elen

Confused&scared
23-02-13, 19:44
Sending lots of love and best wishes xx

Ddcoo
24-02-13, 15:58
Thank you all again for the words of encouragement, the start of another week is looming and now I have thrush in my mouth as well, so yet another little niggle.

Can I say at this point that anyone who is to have radiotherapy on any other part of their body from the neck down would not have as many symptoms as with a head and neck cancer, it is because the radio waves attack all the mucous membranes in the mouth and throat with my sort of cancer. My sister in law had breast cancer and the radiotherapy obviously did burn her in the area treated, but I think most of you would agree that having this treatment in the mouth area is not so nice.

I hope you have had a reasonable weekend and all of you have a good week.:yesyes: Onwards and upwards chaps!!

Eek
24-02-13, 22:21
half way yay :) Sorry you're having such a hard time of it now, you're so brave. Good luck with the week to come, just try and keep in your mind that you're now on the home stretch and counting down to it all being over.

:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Twinsmummy
25-02-13, 10:06
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are getting on, Di. I'm not sure I can offer any words of comfort for the horrible side effects you are suffering through, except to wish you all the best and keep your eye on the finishing line, you are doing so well.

Cx :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Annie0904
25-02-13, 10:20
Di called me this morning and said she had managed to eat some bread rolls last night so that was good news. After this week is over there will only be 2 more weeks of treatment left.:)

Tessar
01-03-13, 22:02
Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo Thinking of you ddcoo

bernie1977
01-03-13, 23:33
I've just read your story and and can't believe all you have had to go through for so long.

You sure are one brave lady with so much spirit.

Hope this all ends for you soon and you can get your life back to normal.

Take care xx

Eek
02-03-13, 03:10
Over half way now, you're well and truly on the home stretch. I hope you're not feeling too bad after this week sending you big :bighug1:

jessicalittler79
02-03-13, 03:45
wow ! I must say just by reading alittle of what u been threw I have to say u are one amazing person ...you are brave ,and strong wow !I hope for u a speedy recovery and my prayers are with u threw this tough time ....I never heard no one that is going threw this stay so strong and that helps in your recovery also hold your head up and stay strong I will be reading all your updates :)

Annie0904
03-03-13, 10:59
Only 2 weeks to go for Ddcoo's treatment now...I hope it goes quickly :)

Tessar
03-03-13, 12:26
Only 2 weeks to go for Ddcoo's treatment now...I hope it goes quickly :)

Too right :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug::grouphug:grouphug:gro uphug::grouphug:grouphug:grouphug::grouphug:grouph ug:grouphug::grouphug:grouphug:grouphug::grouphug: grouphug:grouphug::grouphug:grouphug:grouphug::gro uphug:grouphug:grouphug:

Oh plop my group hugs have all started getting away.
They must be off in ddcoo's direction.......