PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma over meds

fishman65
23-02-13, 18:06
OK guys,a decision has got to be made.I started on a period of raised anxiety last Oct/Nov and saw my doc.I was on 30mg mirtazapine and 40mg paroxetine at the time.He upped these to 45mg and 60mg respectively,I got through xmas and have been ok up until last Sunday when I had to go help my Dad (he's 83) put felt on his shed roof.

For some reason,doing this gave me some anticipatory anxiety but since then the anxiety seems to have kicked on and it makes me feel like I'm back where I started.

The question is,do I see my doc again or wait to see if this evens out? I can't have either the mirtazapine or paroxetine increased cos they are on their maximum doses.He did say that he had venlafaxine in mind if these increases didn't work.The anxiety is pretty active right now and I'm more or less limping down town as things are.However its the thought of a med change-over and all it entails.Any thoughts welcomed and thanks for listening guys.

BobbyDog
23-02-13, 19:30
I think that as you are feeling so vulnerable at the moment with the increased anxiety. Changing would not be a good idea, the withdrawal symptoms from Mirtazapine and Paroxetine are usually quite difficult to handle; and what about the start up side effects from the Venlafaxine.
Also, what happens if the Venlafaxine does not help you with your anxiety?

Just my humble opinion.x

maximus1975
23-02-13, 19:36
they would probally give u some diazepam whilst you are tapering of the mitrazipine and onto ven , the drugs your on arent working so i dont feel you have a lot to loose

rcs
23-02-13, 20:12
I understand i have been trying to wean myself off trazodone 50 mg for sleeping and stopped taking them this week after last week taking them on alternate nights. I am back to having anxiety attacks which seems to be a coincidence along with numb arms and legs and light headedness during these attacks.
I still take 20 mg citalopram daily and suffered side effects from these but previously no withdrawal problems.
When I have bouts of anxiety and depression I become sensitive to all sorts of things like alcohol, sugar, caffine and noise so sensitivity to medication and its side effects is to be expected. Doctors can dismiss side effects and withdrawals as part of your condition but I think really they underplay it so that you don’t dwell on them.
It can be a real dilemma to change meds or stop them altogether and i get exhausted trying to explain this to Doctors especially when you aren't feeling too well...

Take Care

fishman65
23-02-13, 21:30
Thanks guys for your input,it is much appreciated.I can see both sides of the argument and two differing opinions.I've heard paroxetine can be difficult to come off,but I think my doc intended to keep me on the mirtazapine.Of course,that could lead to a situation where I'm put on venlafaxine but being weaned off paroxetine and still on the mirt?? That's potentially three anti-deps in my system at once.

Anyway,once again thank you all.