PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma fears all the time

Boink
23-02-13, 22:19
Hi. I found this forum, seems useful.

I am getting crippled by fear over Melanoma. I have this mole, it looks perfectly normal. It's round, one color (pink), smooth borders and normal sized. However it itched last week in the shower, itching when the water hit it. It also feels firmer than a normal mole. You can certainly feel it if you're running your fingers over it whereas some other moles you don't really.

I have this fear occasionally where I become obsessed with my moles. This one is not one I've really paid much attention too. I don't know if it's new but it looks so innocent that it's not one of the 'candidates' I would check often so it could have been there all my life or new.

I can't cope with this fear any longer. I want to go the doctors, and will, but because it looks fine I think he'll just say 'it's fine' and that will be that. Also I have started to worry about other moles, or spots i presumed were bites (i getting bitten by small bugs a lot) but they might be bad too. Right now I am almost sick with fear because I've relised I've never checked my scalp. My hair is very thick so it's hard. I did a quick check and saw nothing especially alarming but it's really hard to check your own hair. I think i did see a mole but it's too hard to tell if it was a freckle or trick of the light and even if it is a mole how do I know it's not new or has been there for years??! I mean if it there was something alarming then would a hairdresser spot it. I get my hair cut often because it's so thick and grows fast.

I can't keep this lifestyle up anymore. My life is dominated by anxiety.

Justinf
24-02-13, 04:48
You can have a complete skin check, which is a really handy thing to do. Especially here in Australia as we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Not sure if you have the clinics over in the UK though.

Boink
27-02-13, 22:13
I went to the Docs. They said it was fine.

Now I am worried about another spot though. It was there, a red spot with a spot of black that suddenly developed while on holiday. I thought I would get it examined when I got home but when I did, about a week after, the blackness had gone and now it's only a small red dot. However I am worried this was a melanoma and it regressed but not before spreading internally, apparently they can do that. So now I am sick about that.

Do you think they can come and go in a month? Can a bite ever have a black spot in it?