PDA

View Full Version : CBT and citalopram

Bosslady
24-02-13, 11:01
Hi All

I have read the comments regarding Citalopram. My Gp has also infromd me that my symptoms may become worse initally (not a grest selling point!) so for someone who is suffering from anxiety worrying about side effects is worsening my anxiety even before i start the drug! Nonetheless I am going to give this a go.

So Im going off point here. Has anyone done CBT and citalopram and was it beneficial? I want to tackle this from a physical and psychological perspective and thus would like to hear from other members who took this route.

Thank you:flowers:

BobbyDog
24-02-13, 12:36
The first time I took Citalopram, the starting side effects were minimal. I had been taking this drug for about 4 years when I started having CBT with a Psychologist. I wouldn't have been able to attend these sessions without the help of Citalopram. My anxiety was very severe at the time, I barely left the house. Citalopram together with CBT helped me deal with my anxiety and move forward to a more positive stage in my life.

Sparkle1984
24-02-13, 15:41
Hi, this thread caught my attention because CBT and citalopram are 2 of the main things which have helped me through my latest anxiety episode. I first got help from my doctor in August last year and I have now recovered,so I'm currently weaning off the meds. When I first started them, I did have some side effects for the first few days (mostly insomnia and loss of appetite) but these wore off after about 5 days.

If you click on my username and search for the threads I've started, you'll see the diary I kept when I was using citalopram and CBT. I noticed a big improvement after about 3 months. I still find the CBT techniques useful in my day to day life and I don't catastrophise about things as much as I used to.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please ask. :)

jayjoe18
24-02-13, 16:11
I'll be watching this thread carefully as I'm debating my options at the moment. I had my first CBT appointment last week but broke down in floods of tears and just couldn't face it. I've agreed to a 15 min appointment in 2 weeks time as a starting point but I'm so afraid as I never leave the house! I'm wondering whether I should start taking Citalopram too to help with the physical symptoms but the therapist said she could cure me and that I didn't need medication though she's never met me before? I have no idea what to do, it's so tough!

Luckyduck
24-02-13, 23:21
Im on cit and have cbt. Therpy is a MUST!!! The meds take the edge off.

Bosslady
25-02-13, 12:58
Thanks for your posts.

First day taking citalopram, spent the whole weekend thinking it over. Having difficulty rationalising things (i.e) how I got to this point and processing that information so i can make sense of it. Always seen as the coper the person who is really strong and now I cant seem to decide if i want earl grey or normal tea!!

I am signed off work, this is great concern of mine. I work in Palliative care, great job, but already I am asking myself will I be able to support my pateints/families etc. Already creating more worries and thats why CBT will hopefully help to alleviate negative thoughts etc.

I do know that sometimes CBT without medication can still make the same changes (lots of evidence supporting this). It just really depends on your circumstances and anxiety levels.

So heres to us all, may we overcome this and find our happy place again.:bighug1:

Bosslady
01-03-13, 11:42
Citalopram increased to 20mg. Gp says she didnt think the 10mg would be enough for anyone and its really just a starting point to get your body used to it. The only side effect thus far is a very dry mouth and Im not sleeping but still getting up at 8am and trying to have a productive day and not sleeping during the day. Although I feel I am doing very little before I know it the day is over!!

I have also started moodgym.co.uk and working through al the excerises slowing when I can concentrate!

I am going to go for CBT once I have given the citalopram a few weeks. My GP has signed me off for a further 2 weeks and we will review my situation again. I'm told I will feel so much better in a few weeks.

I feel a failure but I know this kind of thinking it not helpful. Maybe this not so very nice exoerience will be the best thing thats ever happened to me, who knows.

:blush: