PDA

View Full Version : Meds vs Therapy

jayjoe18
24-02-13, 16:05
Which path did you take? Which worked for you & why?

nomorepanic
24-02-13, 16:10
Therapy. Meds mask the problem and you still need to address that so CBT was the way forward for me.

Daisy Sue
24-02-13, 16:11
I didn't take any meds when at my worst with panic attacks... I wasn't sure I was brave enough to take that step, and in conjuction my CBT therapist didn't think they were the way to go for me.... I worked through the problems with him, and did all the relaxation & thought-changing stuff he taught me, and I got there. I don't know if I would've got there sooner with meds.

I'm a little braver nowadays regarding medicines, so if I thought I needed, I probably would take them now.. in fact I promised myself if I felt really bad through stopping smoking I would go ask the doc for something.. but thankfully I haven't needed.. so far...

Are you at a crossroads where you have to decide which, Jayjoe?

lashes
24-02-13, 16:15
I'm doing both I think the meds helped me to level out abit and get ready to face my issues as I just couldn't even bring myself to do it before I took them but I think cnt is definitely the way to actually overcome them and face them x

Sparkle1984
24-02-13, 16:25
I took both, and they've both helped me, albeit in different ways. :) When I first went to the doctors about my anxiety last August, I was in a terrible state and the meds (citalopram 10mg) helped me start to feel better within a few days/weeks. This in turn helped me to focus on my CBT course and with finding other self help methods which have helped me to deal with the root causes of my anxiety.

Meds can't resolve the root cause of the problem (unless it's caused purely by a chemical imbalance) but they can help you to get to a place where you're better able to tackle the root causes.

jayjoe18
24-02-13, 16:37
Thanks so much for your replies, I'm desperate for any advice at the moment so thank you!

Are you at a crossroads where you have to decide which, Jayjoe?

Thanks for your reply Sue, I am at a crossroads, I'm quite stuck in a rut actually and just don't know where to start! I've had anxiety from being 14 and I'm 20 this year so it's been a long struggle. I was never offered meds before due to my age but I have the option to take them now but I'm so scared to do so due to side effects! I've done CBT before to tackle health anxiety and it did help but I don't know if I can face it for the anxiety I have now, it's built up so bad over the years I'm now housebound with anxiety, social anxiety, panic, phobia etc. I did have my first CBT appointment last week but broke down in floods of tears and just couldn't face it. I've agreed to a 15 min appointment in 2 weeks time as a starting point but I'm so afraid as I never leave the house! I'm wondering whether I should start taking medication too to help with the physical symptoms but both options are terrifying me :(

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

I took both, and they've both helped me, albeit in different ways. :) When I first went to the doctors about my anxiety last August, I was in a terrible state and the meds (citalopram 10mg) helped me start to feel better within a few days/weeks. This in turn helped me to focus on my CBT course and with finding other self help methods which have helped me to deal with the root causes of my anxiety.

Meds can't resolve the root cause of the problem (unless it's caused purely by a chemical imbalance) but they can help you to get to a place where you're better able to tackle the root causes.

Thanks Sparkle for your response, I don't know if my anxiety is a chemical imbalance or not? I started with it at 14 I think after an ear operation I didn't want to return to school and found it difficult after some time off fitting back in with everyone, but I do also have a family history of anxiety/mental health problems including my nan, mum and family I've never met before but have similar problems to me. I don't know if this means it's a chemical imbalance in me which was triggered by either becoming a teen or the op or it's soley caused by circumstances... do you know how I'd find out?

Daisy Sue
24-02-13, 16:43
Thanks so much for your replies, I'm desperate for any advice at the moment so thank you!

Thanks for your reply Sue, I am at a crossroads, I'm quite stuck in a rut actually and just don't know where to start! I've had anxiety from being 14 and I'm 20 this year so it's been a long struggle. I was never offered meds before due to my age but I have the option to take them now but I'm so scared to do so due to side effects! I've done CBT before to tackle health anxiety and it did help but I don't know if I can face it for the anxiety I have now, it's built up so bad over the years I'm now housebound with anxiety, social anxiety, panic, phobia etc. I did have my first CBT appointment last week but broke down in floods of tears and just couldn't face it. I've agreed to a 15 min appointment in 2 weeks time as a starting point but I'm so afraid as I never leave the house! I'm wondering whether I should start taking medication too to help with the physical symptoms but both options are terrifying me :(

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Thanks Sparkle for your response, I don't know if my anxiety is a chemical imbalance or not? I started with it at 14 I think after an ear operation I didn't want to return to school and found it difficult after some time off fitting back in with everyone, but I do also have a family history of anxiety/mental health problems including my nan, mum and family I've never met before but have similar problems to me. I don't know if this means it's a chemical imbalance in me which was triggered by either becoming a teen or the op or it's soley caused by circumstances... do you know how I'd find out?

I think, if I were you, I'd definitely seriously consider going on some medication, if only as a short-term crutch to get you through the worst days, and enable you to make the most of your CBT.

Maybe go and have a chat with your GP, explain how you're feeling, and your fears about side effects.. they might be able to give you something quite gentle to start off, and that might be all you need.

Emphyrio
24-02-13, 16:48
Sparkle has it spot on. If possible, dealing with anxiety/depression/OCD is best through CBT or other techniques, though in some cases, you may need meds to get you to a place where you can effectively engage with therapy. Think of meds as armbands/water wings - they can help you float, but take them away and you sink. However, if you learn how to swim whilst wearing them, you can take them away and be able to swim without any flotation devices.

Having said that, I've been considering a return to meds as I've been feeling a bit bad recently. Its more physical symptoms/depression in my case though - I feel I have a long way to go until I can get back in the deep end so to speak!

Rennie1989
24-02-13, 17:33
I believe medication and therapy work very well together. I'm on Citalopram 10mg but am waiting for my 'high intensity treatment'

Tessar
24-02-13, 18:11
Well, jayjoe, I set out on a course of therapy (based around CBT).
At the outset I was determined I wouldnt resort to medication. After some time though, because I was trying to hold down a responsible, stressful job while coping with what came out during my therapy (& trying to learn new skills that were pushing me to face things I didnt want to deal with), I did need to take fluoxetine.
For me, the meds worked. In fact, I have taken the same meds on & off since then. There is nothing wrong with since they make me feel better. Also they have had a huge benefit in that they've helped me with my hormones (which cause me alot of trouble & can make me feel very unpleasant sometimes). Since I was already dealing with my problems through the therapy, the meds were a help but would not be my first choice.
As others have said here you do need to deal with the underlying problem and for that reason I would always recommend therapy, CBT, counselling - whatever suits you best. I imagine you would start off by seeing your doctor and then you could be referred once you have decided on the best thing for you.
CBT is particularly good because it changes how you respond to situations and helps you see why you react in the way you do. It changed my life completely. For me - I couldnt change my past but I have been able to reflect on it & have a better understanding of how it has affected me. In turn this has helped me cope with the problems I was having.
CBT would involve plenty of effort from you but that effort reaps rewards. Once you learn new skills & better ways of dealing with situations that come up in life, you will become more confident. The frequency with which you feel triggered lessens & each time you are in a trigger situation, you feel much better able to cope with it.
This is EXACTLY how it was for me. Situations I dreaded have become easy to deal with. If I anticipate something is going to be a problem, instead of dreading it, I think about it rationally. I do what I can to stick to the reality of the situation & think in practical terms, looking at facts rather than basing everything on my emotions. Prior to CBT I was basing pretty much all my decisions & coping methods on my emotions. This really wasnt the best way to live my life.
As I say it involves plenty of work but if I were you I'd go for it.
Back to meds... for anyone who is struggling it is something worth considering. I can still recall how I ummed & ahhhed about it for a long time before taking meds. I really did not want to but it has to be said they gave me breathing space. I felt happier & they did give me the boost I needed to cope & get better alongside the therapy & CBT.
Regardless of what you may choose to do, this a decision for you to make (alongside your doctor) but it's important you will feel comfortable about it.
Its good that you came here for advice because everyone will have very useful & sound advice to give you. I hope you find this is helpful & do stay in touch & let us know what you decide.

jayjoe18
16-03-13, 14:55
Sparkle has it spot on. If possible, dealing with anxiety/depression/OCD is best through CBT or other techniques, though in some cases, you may need meds to get you to a place where you can effectively engage with therapy. Think of meds as armbands/water wings - they can help you float, but take them away and you sink. However, if you learn how to swim whilst wearing them, you can take them away and be able to swim without any flotation devices.

Having said that, I've been considering a return to meds as I've been feeling a bit bad recently. Its more physical symptoms/depression in my case though - I feel I have a long way to go until I can get back in the deep end so to speak!

Thanks very much for this, I love that little armbands quote so will have to steal that :) I guess deep down I know medication is needed in my case but it's just taking that leap of faith... I really hope you start to feel better soon, what ever you decide :hugs:

I think, if I were you, I'd definitely seriously consider going on some medication, if only as a short-term crutch to get you through the worst days, and enable you to make the most of your CBT.

Maybe go and have a chat with your GP, explain how you're feeling, and your fears about side effects.. they might be able to give you something quite gentle to start off, and that might be all you need.

Thanks Daisy Sue, I feel bad going back to the docs as I've been offered the meds so many times now, though I've never had the courage to speak up and discuss it properly. I always feel rushed because I know there's other patients to see but maybe I do need to discuss it better with them first.

I believe medication and therapy work very well together. I'm on Citalopram 10mg but am waiting for my 'high intensity treatment'

Hi Rennie, thanks for this, may I ask how your Citalopram experience is going?

Well, jayjoe, I set out on a course of therapy (based around CBT).
At the outset I was determined I wouldnt resort to medication. After some time though, because I was trying to hold down a responsible, stressful job while coping with what came out during my therapy (& trying to learn new skills that were pushing me to face things I didnt want to deal with), I did need to take fluoxetine.
For me, the meds worked. In fact, I have taken the same meds on & off since then. There is nothing wrong with since they make me feel better. Also they have had a huge benefit in that they've helped me with my hormones (which cause me alot of trouble & can make me feel very unpleasant sometimes). Since I was already dealing with my problems through the therapy, the meds were a help but would not be my first choice.
As others have said here you do need to deal with the underlying problem and for that reason I would always recommend therapy, CBT, counselling - whatever suits you best. I imagine you would start off by seeing your doctor and then you could be referred once you have decided on the best thing for you.
CBT is particularly good because it changes how you respond to situations and helps you see why you react in the way you do. It changed my life completely. For me - I couldnt change my past but I have been able to reflect on it & have a better understanding of how it has affected me. In turn this has helped me cope with the problems I was having.
CBT would involve plenty of effort from you but that effort reaps rewards. Once you learn new skills & better ways of dealing with situations that come up in life, you will become more confident. The frequency with which you feel triggered lessens & each time you are in a trigger situation, you feel much better able to cope with it.
This is EXACTLY how it was for me. Situations I dreaded have become easy to deal with. If I anticipate something is going to be a problem, instead of dreading it, I think about it rationally. I do what I can to stick to the reality of the situation & think in practical terms, looking at facts rather than basing everything on my emotions. Prior to CBT I was basing pretty much all my decisions & coping methods on my emotions. This really wasnt the best way to live my life.
As I say it involves plenty of work but if I were you I'd go for it.
Back to meds... for anyone who is struggling it is something worth considering. I can still recall how I ummed & ahhhed about it for a long time before taking meds. I really did not want to but it has to be said they gave me breathing space. I felt happier & they did give me the boost I needed to cope & get better alongside the therapy & CBT.
Regardless of what you may choose to do, this a decision for you to make (alongside your doctor) but it's important you will feel comfortable about it.
Its good that you came here for advice because everyone will have very useful & sound advice to give you. I hope you find this is helpful & do stay in touch & let us know what you decide.

Tessar, thanks so much for this, really has helped! I'm really glad your able to cope better through the CBT. That definitely sounds like me, I've been thinking about medications for a long time now, I was last prescribed some to try in March 2012! I really need to get strict with myself now I think!

Bekzie
16-03-13, 15:09
I have been taking atenolol 25mg since yesterday to help with the physical symptoms of my anxiety. Hopefully I will only be taking it until counselling is arranged for me in a couple of weeks.

jayjoe18
16-03-13, 15:22
Hi Bekzie, I've never taken beta blockers but was offered Propananol (think that's right?) once, hope it helps you out, I suppose it's better than taking an anti-depressant. Let me know how you get on with it, I'd be really interested to know!

Pinktel
16-03-13, 16:16
Jayjoe, CBT is the gold standard treatment for anxiety, with or without meds. It will give you lasting relief. Psychiatric research over the last 10 to 15 years has now come to this conclusion.
Meds are often a first line defence because they CAN give rapid relief enabling CBT to be accomplished more readily. However they CAN give side effects and a quick perusal of these threads show how many people are struggling on them.
Many GPs exercise caution prescribing SSRIs to under 25s.
Many people on here seem to get on with the meds though, but make yourself a promise that whether or not you choose to start them, keep up the CBT and check out CBT4panic which is now free, it should be wholly compatible with anything your therapist is telling you and I personally am doing well on it (much better than when I had NHS CBT).
A lot of people are put off CBT because it can be painful and tough, results are hard won and it can get worse before it gets better! But it works long term and teaches you skills for life, meds don't.

Lissa101
16-03-13, 16:23
I took meds but have found them a double-edged sword (bad side effects and even worse withdrawals), although this is different for everyone. Eight months on and my problems are still here so I think talking therapies are crucial. However, I didn't have any choice but to take medication as I still haven't been able to access any therapy on the NHS so meds were all I had/have x