PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and migraines

Meg
16-06-04, 16:55
I was just wondering how many of you had true migraines prior to any panic or anxiety ??
I think we've suddenly had a flurry and several threads are referring to them and I thought sharing your migraine symptoms might be reassuring to others as the neurological ones are tremendously scary.

I know about

Sadie, Emily, Liz and Jules

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

kate
16-06-04, 18:03
Meg,

I had migraines from the age of 11 to the age of approximately 16.

I had the flashing lights, limb numbness, nausea, pins and needles, half vision and the thumping headache.

I used to suffer from these at least once a month.

I had my first PA at the age of 19.

Kate x

Meg
16-06-04, 18:26
Kate,

Thanks for sharing.
Did they correlate with your periods at all ?

Meg

sadie
16-06-04, 20:47
Meg,

You know about all my symptoms....dizziness, numbness in the limbs, one-sided headache, speach problems, nausea, flashing lights, food cravings and my body temperature drops. I do also think my migraines are more prominent at my menstrual cycle, particulary the week before and for the first few days of my cycle.

sadie

kate
16-06-04, 23:19
Meg,

I started my periods at age 11 but I can't really remember whether I suffered every month around my period.

Incidentally, I was reading another post tonight, by Jules, asking whether the visual disturbances without a headache could be panic induced rather then migraine.

Funnily enough, I have had two nasty experiences at work in the last two years, where I was terribly upset by something happening.

Shortly afterwards, both times, I got the flashing, kind of starry type lights, couldn't see, properly, and this lasted for about 15 minutes each time.

But, on neither occasion did I go on to develope the throbbing headaches that I did when I suffered the full blown migraines previously.

So, was thinking that they were probably a panic symptom not a migraine.

Kate x

kate
16-06-04, 23:34
Having just written all the above, I have now looked up ocular migraines, which I had never heard of!

Several of the searches have suggested that such migraines are not always accompanied by headache.

Could have been ocular then!!!

Kate x

Meg
29-06-04, 18:34
I'm still really interested in these migraines ....

I'm working with 4 people currently who have awful migraines. 3 of them have periods of teeth grinding and by seeing a dentist and getting a repositioning splint it seems that good breakthroughs have been made for 2 of them in the migraine field too.

So if you are aware of periods of teeth grinding or clenching it may be worth a chat with your dentist.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Elle-Kay
29-06-04, 19:47
I've started having migraines recently (within the last couple of months).

I've been for an eye test - it's not that. I've cut out caffeine (I don't drink coffee, but had noticed that I'd been drinking a lot more tea and cola) - it wasn't that. On my last pill check-up I mentioned this to the nurse practitioner and she has suggested that I keep a diary of when they occur, to see if it's related to my cycle. The results aren't conclusive yet though. I haven't noticed a link between migraines and anxiety attacks though (although I do sometimes get worse period pains when I'm anxious! [:I])

Unfortunately, my mum has suffered with migraines since she was pregnant with me, so it's looking like it's a genetic thing [V] There might even be a link between me getting them, and the fact that she started with them whilst she was carrying me, who knows..

At the moment, I'm taking feverfew capsules regularly (available from most health shops e.g. Holland and Barrett, and used for headaches since at least the middle ages!), because *touch wood* they seem to have 'cured' my mum of her migraines. Lets see what happens when they get into my system properly..

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Laurie28
30-06-04, 14:44
Hiya Meg,

I had migraines before having my first son and they were quite frequent, flashing lights, nausea etc. I had to go to bed for 2 days to get over it.

They all but stopped after my first son apart from the occasional one.

When I was pregnant with my second son I had a cracker apart from the flashing lights etc I went numb all over it was horrific and a very scary experience.

I haven't had one since (touch wood) but the fear is still there of getting one

Lucky

Rennie1989
30-06-04, 22:03
meg

iv been having more migraines ever since iv started havin panic attacks and they are easier to get nw

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears