PDA

View Full Version : 20mg to 30mg on cit

Scoobydoo1
25-02-13, 12:05
I had a real bad time before Xmas, was on floux and nothing was working, after 10 weeks doc put me on cittalophram, started at 10mg then moved to 20. Just like magic I felt me again, and was so happy, realise I needed councelling and 5 months on still waiting for my nhs appoint, new year with it bought 2 lots of bad news one really bad, and I felt myself slipping back again, this time feeling. Ore low than anxious, went to docs who increased my meds up to 30mg, I have had anxious thoughts again much like before Xmas but less severe , still feeling pretty low though, I know this tabs will not make everything better the bad news won't go away I was just hoping the increase would make me able to cope better. I'm on day 13 of higher does, how long should I give it before returning to the docs? Sorry to go on.

steveo
25-02-13, 23:39
This is very interesting to read any a question I had!

I was put back on Citalopram after a relapse at the start of this year. I was on 10mg for a month, then 20mg (which was my original dose) for a week and then a psychiatrist told me to go up to 30mg for a month to really get a good dose of the medication.

When I switched up to 20mg I really started to feel better but since going on 30mg, my anxiety has gone up again and I feel like I'm starting back on the medication again. I'm on day 7 of the increased dose and I don't feel much better.

But I am also on day 7 of a new medication for me, Pregabalin so I'm not sure which is effecting me.

I say give it time. Give it another week and if that doesn't work then go back and see your GP. I really suggest not just relying on a medication but also trying some form of therapy such as CBT to get to the root cause of your anxiety.
Medication alone is not enough to get over this. It is a crutch to help us. Changing your thoughts can be just as powerful.

Hope you get better soon. Let me know how you are doing!

Sunshine77
26-02-13, 09:05
How strange, I came into this forum to ask advice on whether I should increase from 20mg to 30mg Cit! And here was this thread...

Is there such a thing as too high a dose?

I've been on 20mg for around 4 weeks now and my doc was thinking of putting it up to 30 a couple of weeks ago but we agreed to wait. I'm still feeling pretty anxious and was wondering about asking for an increase but reading your experiences I'm not so sure now! I start CBT in a couple of weeks and have also just resigned from my job so hoping those 2 things together may equal another 10mg of Cit naturally!

Scoobydoo I also think give it another week and see how you are. It took 3 weeks for me when I went from 10 to 20, for it to have an effect.

steveo
26-02-13, 23:45
I'm starting to think that there is such a thing as a too high a dose.

I started to feel better on 20mg but then the doc whacked me up on 30mg and I felt I got worse again.

Very strange! It's only for a month apparently.

Sunshine77
27-02-13, 09:15
Hmm, what's the thinking behind that? Just to build up the levels of the drug in your body?

I think I might stick with the 20mg for a while unless my doctor feels strongly about increasing it.

steveo
27-02-13, 11:49
I wish I knew the reason why Sunshine!

I guess I need it in my system sooner or later so might as well go through a couple of weeks of hell to get it all in there!! Mood and emotions have been ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Crying one minute and happy the next, almost feel cured for a few hours a day. Then back to curled up in a ball on my bed, scared of any sound I might hear. These tablets sure have a weird way about them when you start them or increase the dosage!

These tablets are like giving someone a headache tablet that initially makes their headache feel AWFUL and much worse, but then a few weeks later of lots and even worse headaches, the headaches go away a bit. I do hope in my life time they find a solution to this problem!

Scoobydoo1
01-03-13, 21:24
Just going into week 3 and feeling a little better so was worth waiting .

steveo
01-03-13, 21:29
Well the doctor wants me on 40mg now! My poor seritonin levels! No wonder why I spend my days curled up in a ball!

Sunshine77
01-03-13, 22:30
How are you feeling today Steve about your appointment Monday?

I am back at the docs early next week & going to discuss increasing. After 6 weeks on 20mg I do feel somewhat better but still having disruptive symptoms, like you I jump out of my skin at the tiniest thing and still anxious especially in the mornings.

Take care

steveo
02-03-13, 11:56
Not so great today. Just come off Pregabalin as I didn't feel it was doing alot. Not going to increase to 40mg until I've seen the CPN team on monday. I feel happy I am seeing them on Monday. I feel like a professional cares! The only other people that have given a damn about the hell I'm going through is everyone on here.

xxxx

Sunshine77
02-03-13, 19:31
That sounds wise. I hope you get what you're looking for from the team on Monday - it does sound as though the care in Cornwall is better than the experience I had in Manchester which actually makes sense - I suppose city hospitals are pushed to the limit more than more peaceful locations.

Hope your day has got better, let us know how you get on on Monday :hugs:

Sunshine77
12-03-13, 13:07
Scoobydoo how are you feeling now?

This morning my GP has increased my dose from 20mg to 30mg. I've been on 20mg for about 7 weeks I think now and a lot of the symptoms are still there. I do feel a lot better than I did a couple of months ago but only if I don't push myself to do anything stressful. Sadly life's just not like that is it, so I need to be well enough to work again.

I've started CBT as well so hopefully that'll help. Just curious to know how you're doing on 30mg.

Steveo - you have had a rotten time I know, I've seen one of your other threads and am glad that Cat and some of the others are able to support you through. I really hope that the light at the end of the tunnel appears for you soon. I won't give advice because I don't feel as qualified to as some others, but I do want you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

:hugs: