PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

vernon
08-09-06, 14:34
Hi I have smoked now for over 40 years, I did give up once a few years ago but only lasted 3 weeks it was so hard for me. At the time I was getting real bad breathing probs Doctor sent me for Chest X-ray and when it came back clear I started smoking again. Now I am coughing a lot getting short of breath, (but always get breathless with anxiety too) But would really love to stop smoking, but with anxiety and all these fears seem to smoke more. Anyone tried hypnosis to Quit? Just love to find a way of stopping. Any Ideas would be great. I have heard hypnosis has helped with this but wondered has anyone tried this and failed or had success. Thanks all. Vernon

net
08-09-06, 14:47
ive never tried hypnosis cos it scares me but i know someone who did and hasnt smoked since. saying that i know someone who came out of his hypnotherapy session a lit up straight away, i think maybe you have to believe it will work or it wont if that makes sense

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Jellybaby
08-09-06, 14:55
My mum was a smoker for about 40 years and she borrowed my husbands book I bought him to give up smoking (which he did) and she is now a non smoker as well. Not sure if Alan Carr's book has been mentioned before on here but its definitely worth a try and I bought my husbands copy from Amazon.

HTH

http://www.mumszone.co.uk

Wannabeloved85
08-09-06, 14:55
hypnosis works, no doubt about that, if it doesnt work, youve found the wrong hypnotist!

susie
08-09-06, 15:12
im a heavey smoker to vernon but because im so anxious giving up is sohard isnt it

vernon
08-09-06, 15:21
Thanks all for the help, I have tried the Gum but done no good at all lol, and I think getting the right hypnotherapist is important, I did try hypnosis at one time for anxiety and it had no effect on me at all, but I don’t think the therapist was that good, He only gave me one session and the room was freezing cold and uncomfortable, Thanks again all, Vernon.

Ps thanks Jelly baby, I did get the Allen Carr’s CD room it was good but didn’t help me, my local library has the book worth a try? Thanks

Wannabeloved85
08-09-06, 15:26
vernon, the cd rom did naff all for me or my mum either!! and i have the book, but im just not in the mood to sit down and read 200-300 pages about smoking!!! try reading the links on amazon about the book. they do say one read and ure a non smoker
Becci x

ksmith
08-09-06, 16:36
Hi Vernon

I gave up smoking in July this year after smoking for 20 odd years and a fairly heavy smoker at that. It was because of the anxiety I found the courage to give it up - I was so pissed off being scared of everything I found the courage to stop smoking - feel the fear and do it anyway (that's a good book by the way).

I started off for a couple of weeks on patches but found they irritated my skin. Went for acupuncture at a Chinese Herbalists and that worked for me. Nearly two months now!!!! I'm still anxious, but I was anxious with or without a fag, so might as well not have the fag if you know what I mean!!!

good luck -it's not as scary as you think it's gonna be

Kay

giddy
08-09-06, 17:03
Hi there
My brother and his girlfriend tried hypnosis and it worked for a while, but they are both smoking again now. A lady I work with used accupuncture and she hasn't had a cigarette since. It only cost £40 as well, a lot cheaper than using patches etc.
Love Helen

Piglet
08-09-06, 17:52
Hi ya hun,

I gave up smoking zillions of years ago when I fell pregnant with my first child - I had such bad morning sickness for months that I totally didn't feel like smoking. My friends were really gobsmacked at me, as I had been such a heavy smoker (well we were in the late 70's and 80's weren't we!.

I can totally appreciate how hard it is because I know if I hadn't been feeling so rough I don't think I could have done it.

Two friends of mine have just given up after 20 odd years my friend by sheer willpower and her husband by hypnosis. He does suck lollies as a substitue lol abit like Kojak!!!

My mum still smokes at 75 but I am kinda not nagging anymore bless her.

You though Verny mate can do this because you want to and wanting to is half the battle. What have you've got to lose (other than cash) by giving the hypnosis a go!!!

Best of luck and I hope all is well with you and yours!!

Big hug.

Love Piglet xx

vernon
09-09-06, 23:52
Thanks all for the info, I got the allen carrs book from my local library, cant lose trying it? thanks all. Vernon