PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new to this site :)

Catherine84
25-02-13, 16:25
Hello everyone,

I came across this site over the weekend, after several days of severe panic attacks focused around a hyper-awareness of my breathing.

I am 28, and work as an R&D scientist - for the last four days I have been signed off sick from work with extreme anxiety and depression. I have always been a very tense and anxious person, but have only recently found the courage to ask for help. I think the anxiety has been building for months and, rather than speaking to someone sooner, I had allowed it to escalate out of control.

I thought I was doing a lot better until I was involved in a head on collision with a drunk driver last summer. I escaped with a few bruises and a painful neck, and I am so thankful it wasn't more, but I have been finding it hard to even sit as a passenger in a car. The daily drive to work is luckily only a 5 minute journey, but I still find myself very edgy and my partner nearly always drives when we go anywhere else.

I am now on diazepam 5mg three times a day to control the panic attacks I have been having around my breathing, but it is just making me very sleepy - I am going to persevere though.

It is so ressuring to find a site where there are like-minded people going through anxiety and depression, and I have already met some lovely people who have offered me lots of advice.

All the best,
Catherine x

ricardo
25-02-13, 16:34
Hello Catherine and welcome.

The diazepam could possibly well make you tired but should bring your anxiety down.
Have you been given any other medication ?

nomorepanic
25-02-13, 16:36
Hi Catherine84

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Katie22
25-02-13, 16:46
welcome..:hugs:

Catherine84
25-02-13, 19:17
Thank you for welcoming me to the site :)

I am only on the diazepam at the moment - just have enough for another three days as the doctor is worried I will become dependent on it, but I think it is probably the only thing that is keeping me from climbing the walls at the moment, even though it is barely enough to take the edge off. I am dreading how I will cope without it.

Sertraline (I think that is how you spell it) has also been suggested, but the doctor seems reluctant for me to take it at the moment as it can make you very edgy initially (have suffered from that enough really) and I am wary of antidepressants as had a bad reaction to Prozac in the past. I do have zopiclone to help me sleep, but I don't really want to take sleeping tablets unless I really have to.

Have you found any other medication that works for you Ricardo? I have managed to get an appointment with a therapist tomorrow, so going to discuss my options with them :)

manwithnoname
25-02-13, 19:21
Welcome

almamatters
25-02-13, 19:53
Hi :welcome: to the forum Catherine

Mark13
26-02-13, 18:01
Hello and :welcome:to the forum.

manwithnoname
26-02-13, 19:58
hi catherine, i completely empathise with what you are going through, i have been work for 3 years now with anxiety and depression and i can't go back, i take sertraline and respiridone, the sertraline has lifed my depression a bit and the respiridone helps me sleep and reduces the anxiety, stephen:)