PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Liviguy
25-02-13, 16:49
After a nice time managing the symptoms I seem to be going rapidly downhill again :weep:

Been suffering from this for a long time, some periods worse than others and it is all coming around again.

Dizzyness
Nausea
Breathing issues
Panic

and the hardest thing is I know what it is but I just can't seem to stop it happening.

Currently on 10mg of Propranolol 3 times a day but it's not really doing a lot to combat the problem.

Sometimes I feel I will never get rid of this. It's depressing.

Annie0904
25-02-13, 16:56
Maybe you need a meds review? Remember though, you have come through it before and can do it again. Just think of this as a little blip. :hugs::hugs:

Liviguy
25-02-13, 17:00
This is the first time since 2003 that I have been on any meds. I seem normally to be able to get through the bad spells without them, but a few weeks ago I went to the doc and was given the Propranolol.

Next stage is anti depressants but I really don't want to go down that route.

xvolatileheart
25-02-13, 22:57
I have those same symptoms and have also tried propranolol but avoided SSRIs. I'm in much the same boat as you at the minute, feeling like it will never get better. But you've gotten better before and you can do it again! Ask your doctor for help. There is therapy and medication if you need it. I'm considering SSRIs myself at this point because it seems like the best next step for me, but you may feel differently. Wishing you the best. :hugs:

Pinktel
26-02-13, 12:10
Where you may be going wrong is in trying to manage the symptoms. The truth is if this is just a neuroses then you need to stop managing them! Let them happen. Until you can get to a point where they mean nothing they will always hold fear for you.

What are you doing cognitively and behaviourally to change? Meds dull your autonomic system and give your nerves a break but don't change you thinking patterns, only your brain does that.

You say you don't understand why it keeps happening when you know why panic happens etc. but it isn't enough to just be told about anxiety, have an explanation about fight and flight and then told to go on your merry way and live your life without anxiety. If it was that simple none of us would be on this website. You need to practise practise practise changing your cognitions (thoughts) and behaviours (actions) and THAT is the way to re train the brain, LEARN from experience that panic, dizziness, nausea and breathing issues are ALL meaningless and just annoying. Panic will certainly mess up your day but it doesn't end your life. Once you learn to not fear having a panic attack you will be cured. Are you doing any CBT?

Liviguy
26-02-13, 13:10
I had 4 sessions of telephone CBT the tail end of last year but to be honest it didn't help much. I was sent lots of literature explaining what panic was etc etc etc, but none of it was anything I didn't know already. The emphasis was on facing it and ignoring it, and although I do already know this, it doesn't make it any easier.

ruthless
26-02-13, 13:28
You say you don't understand why it keeps happening when you know why panic happens etc. but it isn't enough to just be told about anxiety, have an explanation about fight and flight and then told to go on your merry way and live your life without anxiety. If it was that simple none of us would be on this website. You need to practise practise practise changing your cognitions (thoughts) and behaviours (actions) and THAT is the way to re train the brain, LEARN from experience that panic, dizziness, nausea and breathing issues are ALL meaningless and just annoying. Panic will certainly mess up your day but it doesn't end your life. Once you learn to not fear having a panic attack you will be cured. Are you doing any CBT?

I know anxiety is all meaningless and causes horrible suffering. I am trying to teach myself CBT and have downloaded the course endorsed on this site. I do understand the reasons for my panic/anxiety/thoughts, but it's something that I know I'm going to have to stick at to get benefit from. My brain is stubborn and set in it's ways!

Pinktel
26-02-13, 17:19
I had 4 sessions of telephone CBT the tail end of last year but to be honest it didn't help much. I was sent lots of literature explaining what panic was etc etc etc, but none of it was anything I didn't know already. The emphasis was on facing it and ignoring it, and although I do already know this, it doesn't make it any easier.

You must not "face it and ignore it" you need to face it, feel it, learn from it, see it through to it's conclusion each time. Trying to ignore it is not going to work, unless by this you mean you are practising mindfulness techniques if so and you are just observing the symptoms, allowing them to be as they are but not letting them stop you from whatever it is you need to be doing, then that kind of ignoring is okay.

And you are dead right, it is not easy. It's painful, scary and frustrating. If it were easy none of us would be suffering. But it CAN be I recommend and CBT is the current gold standard treatment that we have for neurotic conditions. It works because we are at heart such psychological creatures. Keep at the CBT4PANIC, are you doing the worksheets?