PDA

View Full Version : starting pregabalin

spottitchsam
25-02-13, 18:48
Hi guys,just got back from gps and he has now starting me off with a pill called pregabalin.I've have to cut my lorazepam from 3 to 2 a day for 5days then 1a day for 5 days.plus start on the pregabalin 1 x25mg a day.I hope they have a good fast working action as I'm hoping to go to see Harry hill tomorrow.I have read some of your stories so I'm going to pop off now and read some more.x any hints would be very welcome.

Tufty
25-02-13, 21:02
It worked great for me Jean, I took 50mg the first day and my anxiety lifted. I took 100mg the next and then 150mg which was my starting dose and stuck with that for a week. 25mg does sound a very low dose but it maybe because you're taking other meds. I've had to increase the dose to 350mg because after a week to 10 days it seems to be less effective but initially it was great so hopefully you'll be able to see Harry Hill tomorrow.
What other meds are you on?
Sam

xtremx
25-02-13, 21:22
I agree with Tufty

Pregabalin work ever so quick for me within a day or so I started to feel great. But the one thing you have to do is also tell yourself that it is working for you and you will feel the benefit quicker..

Enjoy Harry Hill try not to laugh to much:)

spottitchsam
25-02-13, 22:05
It worked great for me Jean, I took 50mg the first day and my anxiety lifted. I took 100mg the next and then 150mg which was my starting dose and stuck with that for a week. 25mg does sound a very low dose but it maybe because you're taking other meds. I've had to increase the dose to 350mg because after a week to 10 days it seems to be less effective but initially it was great so hopefully you'll be able to see Harry Hill tomorrow.
What other meds are you on?
Sam

Tufty thanks for reply,my gp has only put me on the 2x 25mg.has I am also taking 2x1mg lorazepam for 5 days then on 1x1mg for 5 days.I suppose after I am only taken the pregabalin he might increase the dose.I'm also on other medications for other health issues.I take doxazosin,perindopril,bendroflumethiazide,for blood pressure.levothyroxine for under active thyroids,and amitriptyline for rheumatoid arthritis pain in my feet.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

I agree with Tufty

Pregabalin work ever so quick for me within a day or so I started to feel great. But the one thing you have to do is also tell yourself that it is working for you and you will feel the benefit quicker..

Enjoy Harry Hill try not to laugh to much:)

Xtremx thanks for reply,I have taken the first of the pregabalin at 9pm and I'm feeling a little bit tired so I might just shoot off to bed in a few minutes to see if I can get a better night sleep.I really would like to see Harry Hill but I will have to try and not laugh to much.wishing you a good night sleep as well.x

Tufty
25-02-13, 22:07
Lorazepam is good stuff I believe, I've never taken it but it should help you through the show tomorrow. The Pregabalin may work in synergy with the Amitriptyline, enhancing it's effects so you may not need a high dose.
:hugs: Sam

steveo
25-02-13, 23:44
I'm on my 7th day of Pregabalin but also my 7th day of increased Citalopram so can't really comment on what the pregabalin is doing to me.

I have heard for most people that it works straight away. I did notice the drunk/stoned type effect it gave me but that passed after three or 4 days and you're on a much lower dose than me so you may not even have that.

It doesn't have the nasty start up effects that SSRI's have so you should be good!

Best of luck and let us know how you are getting on. x

little wren
26-02-13, 06:38
I started on a low dose too (60mg a day) which was increased to 120mg a day after a week. Starting on a low dose there are no real side effects and no euphoria (well for me anyway). Apparently the therapeutic dose is 150mg a day - which I will be on later this week. I think the people who did experience immediate relief were starting on higher doses - that said you are also taking other drugs - if lorazepam is a benzo then that may affect how pregabalin works for you (that is getting more effect from a low dose). Enjoy your show x

Mark13
26-02-13, 18:00
Starting on a low dose there are no real side effects and no euphoria (well for me anyway).
I got the euphoria on a start dose of 150mg (75mg twice a day). It lasted for a few hours on days 1, 2 and 3 if I remember rightly.

I loved the feeling but my wife found me a little disturbing :) It freaked her out a bit.

spottitchsam
27-02-13, 01:20
Lorazepam is good stuff I believe, I've never taken it but it should help you through the show tomorrow. The Pregabalin may work in synergy with the Amitriptyline, enhancing it's effects so you may not need a high dose.
:hugs: Sam

Thanks for the reply tufty lorazepam was working fine for 3weeks then after I had a panic attack at butlins last Wednesday for some reason it stopped working.can you tell me what you mean by the pregabalin May work in synergy with the amitriptyline.I a little bit thick to understand what it means.x

---------- Post added at 01:16 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

I'm on my 7th day of Pregabalin but also my 7th day of increased Citalopram so can't really comment on what the pregabalin is doing to me.

I have heard for most people that it works straight away. I did notice the drunk/stoned type effect it gave me but that passed after three or 4 days and you're on a much lower dose than me so you may not even have that.

It doesn't have the nasty start up effects that SSRI's have so you should be good!

Best of luck and let us know how you are getting on. x

Steveo thanks for reply,after the horrible start of the day.I can say that everything since 9.30 this morning has been great.I had a really calm day in Birmingham and the show was great.I've have now got to wind down and get some sleep.x

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

I started on a low dose too (60mg a day) which was increased to 120mg a day after a week. Starting on a low dose there are no real side effects and no euphoria (well for me anyway). Apparently the therapeutic dose is 150mg a day - which I will be on later this week. I think the people who did experience immediate relief were starting on higher doses - that said you are also taking other drugs - if lorazepam is a benzo then that may affect how pregabalin works for you (that is getting more effect from a low dose). Enjoy your show x

Thanks little wren I think he will keep me on 50mg a day after I've finished taking lorazepam but I will have to wait and see.x

BobbyDog
27-02-13, 06:15
Amitriptyline and Pregabalin are both relaxants, so combined should make you a little less stressed. I take both of these medications and they really help with my anxiety and sleep problems.

Tufty
27-02-13, 10:39
Working in synergy means that using the drugs together boosts both their effects and makes them more effective, just like BobbyDog says above. Drugs are often combined in medicine to make them more effect.
I'm not taking anything other than Pregabalin at the moment and am increasing the dose, so I may start another antidepressant to boost its effects.
It's good to hear you're doing well, your not letting the anxiety stop you doing stuff which is great and shows how strong you are
Keep at it
Love Sam

spottitchsam
27-02-13, 13:29
Amitriptyline and Pregabalin are both relaxants, so combined should make you a little less stressed. I take both of these medications and they really help with my anxiety and sleep problems.

Thanks bobbydog,will look forward to this happening.hope you are well.x

BobbyDog
27-02-13, 20:38
Thanks bobbydog,will look forward to this happening.hope you are well.x

You will be fine Jean.:yesyes::bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

spottitchsam
28-02-13, 13:27
Working in synergy means that using the drugs together boosts both their effects and makes them more effective, just like BobbyDog says above. Drugs are often combined in medicine to make them more effect.
I'm not taking anything other than Pregabalin at the moment and am increasing the dose, so I may start another antidepressant to boost its effects.
It's good to hear you're doing well, your not letting the anxiety stop you doing stuff which is great and shows how strong you are
Keep at it
Love Sam

Tufty thanks for your reply,if when I am only taken pregabalin do you think I will need to take yet another antidepressant to keep me on the level.if one of my family is with me I will try and carry on with my usual routine,left on my own is a different matter.hope you are well.x

Tufty
28-02-13, 19:30
For many people Pregabalin itself is enough, like all drugs it's very trial and error. I'm going to get up to the max dose of 600mg, give it a month and then see if I'll need to add another med.
Sam

spottitchsam
28-02-13, 21:53
For many people Pregabalin itself is enough, like all drugs it's very trial and error. I'm going to get up to the max dose of 600mg, give it a month and then see if I'll need to add another med.
Sam

Hi tufty I will be happy when they find the right dose to stable me.I think trying to add different pills in and fadeing other out can't be very good for you.x