PDA

View Full Version : scared to swallow food

clairee22
25-02-13, 21:16
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone has had suffered with Phagophobia a phobia with swallowing food.

I'm so stressed and done with this phobia I have not eaten properly for over three weeks and I don't know what to do :( I can eat better in the morning so try to eat as much as possible then because by the evening i will be lucky to have a few spoonfuls of food. I'm mainly living off yogurts, soups, cereal and porridge. I'm so busy with uni in the day so it is affecting and i am constantly dreading lunchtime.

when I try to eat my mouth feels really sticky and dry and when i try to swallow some food i panic when i start to swallow because i think im going to choke and noone will be able to help me because i live on my own. after i panic i then worry about the next mouthful and then i wont eat the rest of meal :(

I am loosing weight because of this and in only 3 weeks i have lost just over half a stone which is really scaring me and people are starting to notice :weep:

I have spoken to my G.P about it and he prescribed me lyra (50mg 3 times a day) and it doesn't feel it has done anything for my anxiety.

I have spoken to the deans of students wellbeing team and they have offered me an appointment on friday.

Has anyone experienced this phobia before and how did you overcome it?
Thanyou xxx