PDA

View Full Version : Private medical insurance

Lissa101
25-02-13, 22:03
Has anyone had this and what was your experiences with it? I'm thinking of taking some out but I know it will be difficult and expensive because of my anxiety problems so I only want to do it if its worth it cost and effort.

macc noodle
25-02-13, 22:17
If you have already had investigations via NHS for medical conditions prior to taking out the health insurance, then there is every likelihood that cover will be excluded from the insurance for any future further tests/procedures.

If you decide you want to get cover, then the best approach would be to ask an independent health insurance broker to research the products available on the market giving them full medical history.

Lissa101
25-02-13, 22:39
Thanks for the advice Macc N. I've been to my GP for anxiety but nothing else..not sure where that leaves me but I want cover specifically in case of future mental health problems so I think I may have to go down the broker route....

Daisy Sue
25-02-13, 22:59
Hi Lissa, depending on what you're intending to use the medical cover for, Simply Health might be of interest to you - they accept you with pre-existing conditions, and basically pay you back half of every private cost you pay for consultations, glasses, dental work etc.. loads of different things are covered. I have this, can't afford anything like BUPA, but this is only about £12 a month...

https://www.simplyhealth.co.uk/sh/pages/individuals/tell-me-more.jsp

ElizabethJane
26-02-13, 17:36
Hi Lissa my husband is covered by BUPA and it is part of his benefits for his job. When joined the scheme I was covered for everything both physical and mental problems. My existing cover now is for physical and acute problems. I am not covered for anything psychiatric.This is because my problems are viewed as chronic. BUPA does not cover for chronic problems. Infact I am quite well.!! Any pre-existing conditions are not covered. I could for example be covered for physiotherapy for a specific problem but it would be limited for six sessions. Most health insurance is like this now and BUPA used to one of the best although very expensive. EJ

clio51
28-02-13, 19:35
I have private med insurance, if you have been to your doctor regarding anxiety and you are on meds for it, it's regarded as chronic so it will be exempt from your cover.