PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - me and my "friend" anxiety

MattH
26-02-13, 11:43
Hi all.

Im totally new to speaking about my anxiety to the world - feels a bit awkward, but here we go.....

I had a nervous breakdown due from emotional and physical exhaustion back in my early 20's. I was working for a cowboy outfit and due to inexperience and feeling the need to saying yes to anything I was asked I ended up very ill. At the time I was an outgoing and confident person, but the company took on a job in peterborough which was meant to take 2 weeks and ended up being 3 months. During this time I also ended up being on my own as the other engineer quit as he'd had enough of us being used. Over that period I began to feel permanatly knackered and had no will to be going out at the weekends (if I weren't working) or any will to be doing anything, just wanted to sleep and hide. The job then evolved into travelling all around the country and staying away from home for nights at a time. Over the coming months I began to steer clear from going out and eating or going clubbing due to this overwhelming fear and everything going weired. I had no idea what was happening to me, but kept plodding along, mucking on through.

It came to a head eventually and my girlfriend at the time noticed a massive change in me and I was ordered to go see docs...I was told I was having a breakdown and to take time off work and re-coup. I was also told that the symptoms I described when going for meals or out with friends etc....was panic attacks. I took one week off which was nice, but in hindsight wasn't anywhere near long enough. Anyway I was eventually made redundant.

Since then (12 years) I have suffered panic attacks in all sorts of situations (work, travelling, social events)

I've only been on 2 holidays in UK in 12 years due to fear of having a panic attack away from home and don't like to travel away anywhere unless im driving and even then I feel really anxious.

Work is probably the worst of my problems as its pressured and a lot of people need me to sort their problems (im in IT) - somedays I get so anxious and panicky I can't do the job properly or just want to get out of their and feel normal. Half the problem I think is that I don't have an interest in it, and I kinda fell into IT leaving school and have done it ever since. This also leads to depression and feeling trapped as I don't want to be doing it anymore, yet I have to go in and work to pay the bills etc....:weep:

I am working on changing careers, but this will be a long process and so im kinda stuck in a rut and finding it really tough going.

I know im not the only person in this situation, loads of people everyday are in jobs they hate, but I still feel so lonely and just totally anxious and depressed. :weep:

Although she won't ever see this, I would like to thank my wife to be as she is a great support and encourages me to do things I otherwise wouldn't. :bighug1:

Anyway - thats a very rough guide to me :yesyes:

nomorepanic
26-02-13, 11:55
Hi MattH

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mark13
26-02-13, 18:05
Hi. Welcome aboard. You've certainly found a good place to be.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support here, as I have.

BobbyDog
27-02-13, 06:59
A big warm :welcome: to you.

MattH
27-02-13, 08:22
Thanks people....It does help in a strange way to see so many people in similar situations. Are there any regional get togethers?