PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty swallowing

jillyb
26-02-13, 11:43
I am having difficulty swallowing .. I can drink etc but I keep swallowing and it feels as if the roof of my mouth is falling down. I think my glands up are in my neck too. I know I have a tooth infection but the dentist doesn't want to put my in antibiotics until he has removed the tooth next Monday. I am taking 2mg diazepam but this started just before I started taking them. I know anxiety can cause swallowing problems but it feels weird. Panicky!

skippy66
26-02-13, 11:45
Why are you taking diazepam?

jillyb
26-02-13, 11:57
Dr prescribed a few as I am in a mega anxiety state - I had gotten myself into this state re the dental problem but was reassured a bit when I saw the dentist and he is going to take out the tooth and not refer my to the hospital, which was freaking my out (I have the avoidance type of ha!). As I put in another post, also been very affected by late colleague who had tooth abscess probs and leukaemia was found and now she has died. I am waiting to have more cbt - they phoned with an appt this morning but it is the same time as my tooth extraction so I don't know how long I will have to wait now. I am so fed up with feeling so anxious all the time - it's really getting me down and for the first time I feel very depressed too. I am not on any other meds as the dr wants me to have more cbt first. As much as I hate meds (always fearing the side effects) I think I do need them. Can't go on like this as it is affecting my life and everyone else's.

skippy66
26-02-13, 12:03
OK. You are mistakenly linking your late colleague's illness with your current predicament. Difficulty swallowing is classic anxiety and I've had it on several occasions but it can also be caused by various other things including reflux (silent or otherwise).

It's most likely anxiety, see if you can make the decision to beat it starting today, and if you can do it without the meds you will get a sense of achievement that will stand you in good stead further down the road.