PDA

View Full Version : O.C.D???

Caitlyn89
16-06-04, 23:15
Ok i was diagnosed with an obsessive disorder. They told me its like OCD but i dont have compulsions like with people who are obsessed with germs compulsively wash their hand ya know?[?] Well my obsessiveness is a lot to do with the mind. If someone tells me something i obsess over it and either start to think i have it or i can start to develop the symptoms. Its weird. Im emetophobia so my main obsession is vomit whick sucks. Anyone else get like this?[8)]

Caitlyn89
20-06-04, 02:19
Wow this is the first time no one has replied to my post. :-(, lol guess no one is like me with this.

Meg
21-06-04, 14:20
In the UK OCD is not diagnosed nearly as frequently as in the USA if there are only thoughts , obsessiveness and not compulsions.

Meg

Caitlyn89
22-06-04, 05:40
O.....still wish i could have some insight though...quite depressed as well

Laurie28
22-06-04, 09:50
Caitlin,

ASometimes doctors have to put a name to things i think!!

I am the same as you if someone tells me something bad I'm like 'what if that happens to me'! I think it is just us anxiety sufferers being 'over anxious as usual

Lucky

HB
22-06-04, 18:04
I have been diagnosed with O.C.D because i have so many ticks and things that it gets too much for me- i even had to be taken into hospital to be sedated for a night once coz i was panicking about whether i was going to stop swallowing, everyone knows you cant just stop swallowing but not me!! im hopinh it will get better sooon xx

H

Caitlyn89
22-06-04, 19:31
Stop Swallowing...never heard of that lol...i have difficulty swallowing but i was never afraid i was going to stop more like i would gag and puke.

ana
23-06-04, 12:11
Hi everyone!
I also have some strange thoughts especially in the mornings. I sometimes don't even know where I am or what am I doing. I also repeat in my head some things people have told me. How strange...lol.
Is it O.C.D?
Ana

Caitlyn89
23-06-04, 17:51
I have no clue lol

sandrews
23-06-04, 22:29
I also suffer with thoughts and not compulsions. They can be very upsetting for me and I sometimes spend days on end thinking constantly. I do have better days now where I just feel normal again which is great but always feel upset if a bad day follows. I am trying to find a way to accept the set backs without letting it upset me which is very difficult as I get so tense and so tired.

Sandra

hazel
24-06-04, 09:26
Hi,

Sorry this is unrelated but can someone please tell me what lol means? I keep reading on people's posts but I don't know what it means.

Thanks
Hazel

andrew
24-06-04, 10:40
hi hazel
lol means 'laugh out loud'
to all this works: ways to overcome the thoughts. firstly talk about them (not always easy to do as they are usually quite personal) try and find someone understanding to listen. this is really important as it will help de-sensitise the obsession and also allow a different opinion of it.
also dont try and bury those thoughts or forget about them, they are your thoughts, horrible or bad thoughts dont make you a horrible or bad person, anxiety is just making you think too much - they are just thoughts dont be afraid of them.
positively reassure and affirm yourself............ take care andrew

lazaru
16-07-04, 09:54
well, i just had my first session with a psych and it went well. it was nice to be reassured that i wasnt crazy/schizo/psychotic and that my self diag of anxiety disorder with ocd was pretty spot on. it was a gruelling ordeal talking to someone youve never met about how you feel and all the thoughts and images that pop into your head, some very disturbing. but it was a good start, im off work again today because its left me feeling a bit down, depression also came into the diag, my parents are away for 2 weeks and my girlfriend is in work most days, feeling very lonely and vulnerable as noone to turn to, thoughts not too bad today but would be glad of some company. all my cat does is bite me!!

seriously though, this is the 3rd psych ive seen and the best so far, change of meds again but hopefully they'll work..no more diazepam which is good but more effexor

Meg
16-07-04, 11:27
Lazaru,

Glad to hear you're making headway in getting help for your disorder.. good news

If you've been taking too much diazepam do wean it off .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

ABC
28-07-04, 23:19
Hey, Caitlyn89. You may have Pure-O. Now, I don't know, because I don't have it. Pure-O, by the way, is purely obsessional thoughts. You obsess, but don't have compultions. I hope that helps you.

frances
03-10-04, 13:22
**I also suffer with thoughts and not compulsions. They can be very upsetting for me and I sometimes spend days on end thinking constantly. I do have better days now where I just feel normal again which is great but always feel upset if a bad day follows. I am trying to find a way to accept the set backs without letting it upset me which is very difficult as I get so tense and so tired.**

I know the above is an old post, but I've only just found this forum a few days ago, and have been looking around. I read this post and thought this is just like me.

I spend all day thinking crazy thoughts constantly. I know they are not my "real" thoughts as they are so upsetting and I would not dream of acting on them. To cope with this I have a phrase which I repeat in my head constantly, because I am scared of the direction my thoughts will go if I let go of this one. But this is a crazy thought in itself and this in turn drives me mad because I can't let go and just think normal thoughts. These thoughts used to start about midday, but now they are starting earlier and earlier and once they kick in, I get no peace from them for the rest of the day. On the rare times I can concentrate on something else for a while, suddenly I might think "Oh good, I haven't had any mad thoughts for a while. Hooray I'm cured. They were so crazy. How could I have thought those things?"
Then it starts all over again as I feel I have to "punish" myself for having a bit of peace. I know this all seems loopy and irrational. I just wish it would stop. Its so tiring trying to sort my head out all the time.
Sorry for going on so long. Typing this is making feel a bit better, actually. I hope the person who wrote the original post is getting some peace from her thoughts, now.
Take care everyone.
Frances

nomorepanic
03-10-04, 13:36
Frances

There is nothing wrong with re-opening old posts as the 'newer' people on here may never have seen this one, so thanks for keeping this one going. It may help someone that never saw it in the 1st place.

Nicola

Rennie1989
03-10-04, 14:51
like me, lol

did anyone watch casulty yesterday? this woman had ocd when her child was in hospital.

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Meg
03-10-04, 14:56
Hi Frances ,

So many of us can really relate with you on this one ..

**To cope with this I have a phrase which I repeat in my head constantly**

Is this like a positive affirmation ? Its great to do this.

Instead of being glad you're 'cured ' be pleased that you have had that break and as you get better and learn to thought replace , you will find the distance between bouts of these thoughts will increase rather than ever disappearing overnight .

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)

Take care .

What you are going through is very a usual pattern and wil subside with time and effort .

Try

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

frances
04-10-04, 18:49
**To cope with this I have a phrase which I repeat in my head constantly**

Is this like a positive affirmation ? Its great to do this.

Hi Meg,
It wasn't a positive affirmation, but I have changed it to one that is.
It has helped so much. It was difficult at first to change my mindset and kept I slipping back, but with a lot of effort I managed to banish the negative thoughts for a couple of spells of time. I hope I can keep it going. Thanks so much for your advice.
Frances

sal
05-10-04, 00:28
Hi Frances

Pleased this post has helped you and people have replied to it.

I have posted about thoughts tonight under anxiety because i do know how they can take over our lifes and becoming a controlling influence that we cant shake of.

Before i joined this site i honestly believed that it was only me that could this such thoughts and that i was a bad person.

Got confirmation that it is part of anxiety and although when feeling bad still question it have started to believe in myself.

Love Sal xxxxx