PDA

View Full Version : help/advice no judgemental

Jenwales
26-02-13, 13:21
This will sound odd and i've been having this problem for months maybe longer and i havnt been able to talk to anyone about it

i have this thought that if i think something it will happen. usually its to do with my family or boyfriend getting hurt. if i see an amulbance i have to do something or I think someone will be ill or worse

today i found out my nan-who im not very close too- has died. And I am thinknig of when i saw an -please dont think im silly- ambulance and didnt do what i usually do

i can't live like this anymore. can't go through life thinking things and then that a relative has died because i didnt do something. i cant talk to people about this and dont even know if i should be telling you

i usually just have GAD but i think this might be classed as OCD. can anyone offer any advice? :unsure:

Vivan.. .
26-02-13, 17:05
Just remember that even if it is real.. .it is not within human's responisbility.. . to keep into account such things because it is out of our understanding of this world.. .

NoPoet
26-02-13, 23:19
Hi, in psychology this is known as "magical thinking". It's the belief that your thoughts can somehow affect the world around you.

This is extremely common. In a sense, magical thinking is a kind of superstition, like saluting a magpie to avoid bad luck. How does saluting a magpie bring bad luck? There is no realistic cause and effect relationship between magpies and luck, and anyway, can luck objectively be proven to exist?

From that example you can already see some of the problems with magical thinking. They do not rely on logic, but life does rely on logic, therefore magical thinking is unnecessary and counter-productive.

We cannot control the world around us - we're not supposed to be able to do that - there are too many variables, too many random events, so trying to exert influence on it is like standing on the beach and telling the tide not to come in.

Blaming ourselves for things that happen is the worst thing we can do. It sets you up as the victim and makes the world look hostile and unforgiving, as if it is just waiting for you to think something terrible. That's a horrible amount of pressure to put yourself under and as I alsready mentioned, it's a distortion of the truth.

So my advice is, do not waste time and energy blaming yourself for something that could not have been your fault. Thinking horrible things is natural to all humans but that doesn't mean we are bad people, it means we have active imaginations which must occasionally explore our darkest fears. It's a kind of stress-release mechanism. The more you try to suppress negative thoughts, the stronger they will become. If they must happen, let them happen, just think to yourself "Well these aren't pleasant thoughts but I know they're just my imagination, I'm a good person and I don't need to be afraid of them."

Jenwales
27-02-13, 08:48
Thanks for that I do have an over active imagination
and that makes a lot of sense

Col
28-02-13, 16:26
Hi, in psychology this is known as "magical thinking". It's the belief that your thoughts can somehow affect the world around you.

This is extremely common. In a sense, magical thinking is a kind of superstition, like saluting a magpie to avoid bad luck. How does saluting a magpie bring bad luck? There is no realistic cause and effect relationship between magpies and luck, and anyway, can luck objectively be proven to exist?

From that example you can already see some of the problems with magical thinking. They do not rely on logic, but life does rely on logic, therefore magical thinking is unnecessary and counter-productive.

We cannot control the world around us - we're not supposed to be able to do that - there are too many variables, too many random events, so trying to exert influence on it is like standing on the beach and telling the tide not to come in.

Blaming ourselves for things that happen is the worst thing we can do. It sets you up as the victim and makes the world look hostile and unforgiving, as if it is just waiting for you to think something terrible. That's a horrible amount of pressure to put yourself under and as I alsready mentioned, it's a distortion of the truth.

So my advice is, do not waste time and energy blaming yourself for something that could not have been your fault. Thinking horrible things is natural to all humans but that doesn't mean we are bad people, it means we have active imaginations which must occasionally explore our darkest fears. It's a kind of stress-release mechanism. The more you try to suppress negative thoughts, the stronger they will become. If they must happen, let them happen, just think to yourself "Well these aren't pleasant thoughts but I know they're just my imagination, I'm a good person and I don't need to be afraid of them."

Digression .....
Hi psychopoet - apparently according to some individuals, thinking something will happen is the secret life! Basically I saw a documentary about this and by haing positive thought u send out positive energy and in doing so, what your thinking can turn into reality.
Off course I turned the doc off, rubbish ~ because I'm praying to become a millionaire and do everyday, hasn't happened yet!

NoPoet
28-02-13, 22:30
That actually leads into the whole PMA (positive mental attitude) thing.

When I used to play Warhammer 40,000 which is a tabletop battle game involving lots of dice, my dice rolls were legendarily poor. In fact, during a team game my rolls were so appalling one of my opponents offered to roll the dice for me, and said he hadn't suggested it earlier in case it looked like cheating. My team-mate replied, if his dice rolls were as bad as mine, he would definitely suspect cheating. ;)

I found that my bad rolling tended to lead me to dread making important dice rolls and the results were invaribly bad. By some strange circumstance, if I believed something was guaranteed to work, or I didn't really care whether it succeeded or failed, I tended to roll much better. I was crap at shooting, but my assault squads reaped a fearsome tally in close combat and I rarely lost close assaults even with armies that were better at shooting.

This is all circumstantial and it's a far cry from actually being able to generate bad karma that can harm other people. That's getting into the realms of voodoo, which seems entirely dependent on the belief of the people involved. People who supposedly die from curses are convinced they are going to die and do not believe in hope of survival. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to die in areas of the world which openly practice voodoo, so if cursed people do die, there are many factors which might be to blame.

In a roundabout way, this is saying: maybe we can have some influence over ourselves, but we can only influence others if they allow us to, and there's still no proof bad karma ever killed anyone.

Col
01-03-13, 09:32
Very knowledgable Psychopoet, and interesting x

Vivan.. .
02-03-13, 19:25
I read stuufs like.. .law of attraction and so on and after some years I have intrusive thoughts on whether certain stuffs will get cursed or not then I start worrying about whether law of attraction would make it true or not.. .
I have some suspicions on the so-called magick having some principles based on law of attraction and.. .I read you need to believe it to work etc.. .which all seems to be based on the idea of thoughts being powerful.. .
Any advice?.. .

Vivan.. .
26-03-13, 13:01
Someone please?It is very important.. .