PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on what a good diet should be for people with a lot of anxiety

messymess
26-02-13, 14:40
Ive been taking all the steps to help better my mental state of mind (seeking out therapy, taking celexa) but I love to know if anyone knows some good nutrition tips that could help also.

steveo
27-02-13, 10:43
From what I have heard over the years, there are a number of vitamins and minerals that are thought to be great for helping our nervous systems. The first is Vitamin B Complex, as in ALL the vitamin B's . They help for a variety of different functions but one is the nervous system. The second is bananas for their Potassium. A banana a day can really help. Magnesium and Zinc are also other good minerals that can help with our nervous function. I try to eat a varied and healthy diet containing loads of fruit and vegetables as well as fresh fish but I also take a very good vitamin supplement each day containing all these things, just incase I'm lacking in any of them.

I think in general, you have answered your own question. A GOOD DIET is what we need. Make sure you eat a good breakfast, a lunch and a dinner. Cut out caffeine! That is very important!! Cut down on alcohol and smoking of course. I don't even need to mention illegal drugs.

Try and have a varied diet containing lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. We really are what we eat!

Try this link for more info

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/embrace-life/mental-health/8-nutrients-to-help-beat-anxiety

All the best x

OliviaD
27-02-13, 14:35
Less refined sugars for starters, lots of fruit, vegs and water (green tea is okay too); prefer antistress foods like pears, lettuce, yogurt, avocado, bananas, turkey, tomatoes, and all foods with omega 3 like nuts and fish.
Diet makes the difference for me! :)

white43
28-02-13, 15:57
Less refined sugars for starters, lots of fruit, vegs and water (green tea is okay too); prefer antistress foods like pears, lettuce, yogurt, avocado, bananas, turkey, tomatoes, and all foods with omega 3 like nuts and fish.
Diet makes the difference for me! :)

Lots of fruit. Hmmmm, fruit contains fructose. Fructose in high quantities is probably worse than sugar. If you eat grapes, you might as well be eating teaspoons of sugar.You're better off with berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries).
Green tea has (some)caffeine and is a stimulant, not good for the sensitive nervous system.

paranoidtree
28-02-13, 20:54
I actually saw a nutritionist to find out this exact same thing last year! Although mine is 'prescribed' for me I can say the following is generic:

A good quality b complex - i use Solgar Ultimate B+C complex
A good quality fish oil - I use Nordic Naturals Pro-Omega with vitamin D

Food wise:
Eat 5 small meals a day to help balance your blood sugars (3 main meals and 2 snacks)
Always have breakfast!
Eat protein at every meal
Don't have low fat versions - always go full fat as we need the healthy fats for our brains!
Fruit is ok though berries are best - try to avoid the exotic fruits but bananas are good for potassium
Meat is fine (unless you are veggie of course!) - i tend to have free-range organic so not ingesting hormones etc. I also eat organic veg for the same reason
Vegetables are good though if you also want to lose weight then cut down/avoid too many carbs
Sometimes people can benefit from good tummy bacteria - yoghurt is good (YeoValley organic is yummy, also Greek yoghurt is good for protein too) though a supplement could also be used too.
Turkey, dark chocolate is good - not together though!
Avoid caffeine and other stimulants including fizzy drinks
Drink lots of water - if water is too boring/fancy a change i drink herbal teas (peppermint mainly) or dilute some apple juice (i use innocent fresh) with water.

Hope this helps!

Louise
x

OliviaD
08-03-13, 14:50
Lots of fruit. Hmmmm, fruit contains fructose. Fructose in high quantities is probably worse than sugar. If you eat grapes, you might as well be eating teaspoons of sugar.You're better off with berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries).
Green tea has (some)caffeine and is a stimulant, not good for the sensitive nervous system.

White sugar is refined, the fructose contained in fruit is not.* Our response to these kinds of sugar is very different. Also refined sugars/carbs are white bread, pasta and such. Any healthy diet should have more fruit and vegs and less refined carbs.
I'm not saying you have to eat fruit all day, of course.

*Fructose sold as a sweetener, on the other hand, is made from corn.

I drink 4 mugs of green tea each day (not exaggerating) and trust me, doesn't do a thing for my nerves. On the other hand, I can't even drink a small cup of espresso any more (which, in Italy, sucks. Decaf is not the same thing...)

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Louise's nutrionist pretty much confirmed what I know. :)

I'm no doctor but as a book editor I've edited several books about nutrition, also in relation to cancer. Very interesting field. Besides, my mother was given some rules after chemotherapy and cutting carbs was the first thing.

white43
08-03-13, 15:09
Sugar is sugar. Our bodies respond the same way to it whatever....glucose, sucrose or fructose. Fructose is linked to obesity, diabetes and liver disease. Excessive consumption of all sugar should include watching your fruit intake. Ask any diabetic. I should know, I am one.

simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple are broken down quickly and raise blood sugar levels, whilst complex has a slower sustained release. Not the same as how we react to ALL sugars. Our bodies react differently to these two different carbs, but not sugars.

Green tea does contain caffeine, it dehydrates you. You're better off drinking camomile or water. Sure, doesn't effect you personally, but people should be aware of what green tea is and how it could effect them. I always advise people to get off caffeine.

I"m not saying don't eat fruit....I'm saying don't go crazy on it. It'll just spike out your blood glucose levels making you feel crappy and hungry. This is why you should opt for berries over grapes. Significantly less fructose.

Louise's nutritionalist confirms this.

OliviaD
08-03-13, 15:55
The faster release gives you the typical sugar high which leaves you crankier afterwards, right?

Yeah, that is my personal reaction to green tea, but if caffeine affects me when I drink coffee, why green tea doesn't?

white43
08-03-13, 15:59
The faster release gives you the typical sugar high which leaves you crankier afterwards, right?

Yeah, that is my personal reaction to green tea, but if caffeine affects me when I drink coffee, why green tea doesn't?

Simple carbs release faster yes, but not as fast as sugars. But any fast release will super elevate blood sugar and leave you hungry and cranky.

Green tea doesn't have as much caffeine. :shrug:

OliviaD
08-03-13, 18:07
So we're basically saying the same thing. :)
Not to nitpick, but you said "green tea doesn't affect you personally, but it does contain caffeine and it's better to stay off it", I say it doesn't affect me because green tea doesn't have much caffeine. If I'm so "intolerant" to coffee but I can drink much green tea, then I guess other people who can't drink coffee could safely have some green tea.

As for Louise's post, it mentions vegs instead of many carbs, fruit, yogurt, turkey, water, healthy fats - things I mentioned too.

white43
08-03-13, 18:16
You are nitpicking :D

Really it was just make people aware not too gorge without restraint on fruit and that green tea does contain caffeine....so it could effect you. I don't drink it for the reason it has *some* caffeine...which will effect the nervous system however mild.

In terms of anxiety, getting back to the topic at hand, camomile is a better option as it has a known anxiolotic affect, green doesn't. For someone with a lot of anxiety, like the OP, I wouldn't suggest green.

Each to there own. :yesyes:

Panic Manic
09-03-13, 02:31
Here are some foods that are proven to help anxiety a lot. First make sure you get your water intake in. Water transports hormones‚ chemical messengers‚ and nutrients to vital organs of the body. So yeh, water is deffo important.

Whole grain, seeweed (Seaweed has many of the same benefits as whole grains. Not only is it rich in nutrients – it also appears to have a high magnesium content.)

A list found on this site (http://www.panicaway.com/articles/diet-to-help-eliminate-anxiety)

Parsnips
Rutabagas
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Green Beans
Green Peas
White Potatoes
Tomatoes
Muskmelon
Cantaloupe
Limes
Tangerines
Strawberries
Pineapple
Oranges
Grapes
Apricots
Blackberries
Peaches
Raspberries
Pears
Apples
Beans‚ Dried
Dried Figs
Dried Dates
Bananas
Raisins
Avocados
Prunes
Sweet Potatoes
Watermelons
Honeydew Melon
Almonds
Millet
Molasse
Beet Greens
Celery
Chard Leaves
Watercress
Sauerkraut
Lettuce
Green Limas
Cucumbers
Radishes
Cabbage
Broccoli
Beets
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots
Green Soybeans
Raw SpinachDisclaimer:

If your taking MAOIs (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) that are given for anxiety make sure you follow a diet like this:

http://www.biopark.org/maoi-1.html

OliviaD
09-03-13, 19:21
Yes, I was nitpicking a bit :P
Sorry, it's just that I know it could be difficult to explain oneself on a forum.

Btw, I didn't know caffeine dehydrates, that's interesting.