PDA

View Full Version : why is it everyone wants more??

dabrucru
27-02-13, 09:50
hi, doing quite good lately, hope you re doing fine , or at least heading to it, i don t know you but evry one wants more from life, i m just happy how i am, with my job, with all the thing that happened to me in the past, i accepted everything. lately my boss sent for me and told me, that he knows i am a good person and very intelligent :ohmy: but he wants to see me improve on my career. i really wanted to tell him that i am really happy the way i am right now. but he kept on saying and saying and saying.....he kept mantioning my collegues how they went far etc. the thing is, that my wife works also, and we are financially not bat, i mean we are not rich or anyting but i cant complain either. mty question is, why do people always want more? and if they want more , why won t let other people be as they are?

thanks

Annie0904
27-02-13, 09:53
I understand what you are saying...in work appraisals the question is always there and I would say but I am ok with what I am doing. Life today always seems to be a competition of who can get higher up the ladder.

dabrucru
27-02-13, 10:17
exactly, just leave me alone living my simple life!!!

Annie0904
27-02-13, 10:18
exactly, just leave me alone living my simple life!!!

Agreed :D

Coppernob
27-02-13, 10:19
I'm retired now but I was an office manager when I worked and I had to take the staff I supervised through their appraisals and evaluations at regular intervals. I found this a real problem because I understood perfectly that some of them were very happy doing a pleasant job in lovely surroundings, earning enough to help the family purse, some of them working part time, and had no ambition to climb any ladders. But I was supposed to encourage them to learn new skills and look ever upwards. I had to ask where they wanted to be in 2/5/10 years time when I knew the answer was often 'just where I am now' and that there was nothing wrong in that.

I agree with you that just doing a job you enjoy is apparently not seen to be enough nowadays.

dabrucru
27-02-13, 10:34
I'm retired now but I was an office manager when I worked and I had to take the staff I supervised through their appraisals and evaluations at regular intervals. I found this a real problem because I understood perfectly that some of them were very happy doing a pleasant job in lovely surroundings, earning enough to help the family purse, some of them working part time, and had no ambition to climb any ladders. But I was supposed to encourage them to learn new skills and look ever upwards. I had to ask where they wanted to be in 2/5/10 years time when I knew the answer was often 'just where I am now' and that there was nothing wrong in that.

I agree with you that just doing a job you enjoy is apparently not seen to be enough nowadays.

and i hate it when people compare me to others also, im just happy with how much money i earn!!

Sunshine77
27-02-13, 11:10
Every workplace needs "worker bees"....not everyone wants to be the "queen bee"... most bosses I have had recognise this and are grateful for the stability that people like you offer.

I've been desperately trying to be "queen bee" for years and after recent events with my mental health I have left my job and made a conscious decision to look for something where I can settle down and not try & be superwoman.

Health and happiness are far more important. Those are your priorities.... don't let your boss make you think you "should" be doing more... "should" is a dangerous word!

dabrucru
27-02-13, 11:25
thanks for all your replies, and i have noticed that when no one expects 'more' from me , i tend to give that 'more' automatically...

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Every workplace needs "worker bees"....not everyone wants to be the "queen bee"... most bosses I have had recognise this and are grateful for the stability that people like you offer.

I've been desperately trying to be "queen bee" for years and after recent events with my mental health I have left my job and made a conscious decision to look for something where I can settle down and not try & be superwoman.

Health and happiness are far more important. Those are your priorities.... don't let your boss make you think you "should" be doing more... "should" is a dangerous word!

yes , a really dangerous word, in every aspect.. :ohmy: