PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying and Diazepam - Questions

StephenJL
27-02-13, 16:34
Hi Everyone,

I really hope you can help me...

I am very scared about flying. Every sound and noise, I can't look out of the window, eyes shut during take off and landing etc.

It wasn't a problem previously, but I had a bad flight a couple of years ago and ever since I've had nightmares and feeling sick just thinking about the flight...

Next week I'm off on a stag trip. I can't get out of it as it's my stag trip :ohmy:. The flight's only 2 hours long, and we're away for three nights.

I've been given 10 2mg Diazepam pills and told to take 1 or 2 before the flight and the same for the return.

My problem is obviously that it's a stag trip and there will be beer involved. I'm aware that there's to be no drinking on the plane as the pills won't react well.

Does anyone have an opinion as to how soon after we land I can join the rest of the boys with beer?

Also, if I had a couple of weak shandies before the flight - would this be a problem.

I'm not trying to sound like a lager lout, but obviously a stag trip "with the lads" will involve beers and I'm worries that taking the pills will mean I can't actually join in any of the frivolities for my own stag trip, and perhaps I should attempt to brave the flight with no pills?

Thanks for your help,
Stephen

Annie0904
27-02-13, 16:41
Alcohol really doesn't mix well with diazepam. Take some with you just in case you really need it but if you can manage without, do. I take Bach rescue remedy which is fine to take even if you do end up taking diazepam.

StephenJL
27-02-13, 17:02
Hi Annie,
Thanks for the reply. This was the impression I was getting when researching this.

I think the best approach is to have beers etc. with the lads during the trip, and avoid drinks on the day of the return flight - with the availability of diazepam if I need it on the return flight.

What's a little worrying is the fact that I was basically told (by my GP) not to drink during the flight and afterwards for a few hours and then I'd be ok.

Thanks again for your help.

Annie0904
27-02-13, 17:05
If your doctor has said that then maybe he is right especially since you do not usually take the diazepam so there won't be much in your system anyway. I don't usually take them and took one 2mg last night. Slept all night but feel drowsy today. Whatever you decide...have a great stag do :D

StephenJL
27-02-13, 17:10
Thanks Annie for your help. I'm thinking of trying a "trial 2mg" this evening to see how I feel as I definitely don't want to feel ill on the plane.

Your help has been great, and I'm just going to get to Rescue Remedy, have a few beers with the lads and relax.

I'll let you know how I get on :D

Annie0904
27-02-13, 17:15
Looking forward to hearing about all your escapades :D

dally
01-03-13, 08:04
Hi Stephen, my son has a fear of flying and has taken 10mg of Valium in the departure lounge and had a couple of vodkas. He doesn't take Valium any other time, so doesn't have the drug in his body, so to speak. He says he just feel drunk, but not in any way that he couldn't get on the plane. He has tried flying with Valium with out drink, but he feels the drink helps him. He is a six foot 12 stone lad. If that helps. Cos some people say the amount of Valium and drink affects different weights. it is difficult to judge.
when you are not in panic flight mode the Valium would prob put you to sleep. But when panicky it will keep you awake but calm. Good luck let us know how you get on xx

tracy7024
07-03-13, 13:21
I was told never mix the two together, what a pain for you, hope it goes well x

StephenJL
11-03-13, 11:58
Hi everyone,

Thank-you so much for the replies and for your help. I made it back - alive (which is a bonus).

I took the advice given and took some Kalms from the weekend before the trip, and (although it might be a placebo effect) it really did seem to calm down some of the absolute worst of the fears.

On the way there my friends thoughtfully prescribed me large amounts of from the airport onwards and then kept me completely distracted throughout the flight. It didn't help that we were slightly delayed due to a "problem with the right engine" - but it was ok. I was pretty pleased not to take any diazepam on the way.

The flight back was trickier. Partly because we had some heavy snow and this added another worry. Then (whilst in the lounge) our plane had to be switched due to a problem. At this point I was looking at walking out of the airport and driving home (and I know this is a silly and irrational fear). I didn't drink all of Sunday - just incase I needed the diazepam.

My best man was very good to me and between us we came up with a plan where he would constantly talk to me and ask me things about the wedding and so on. Two hours later he was quite fed up when we landed.

So, no diazepam taken and a new plan about being distracted so I can't hear the engine noises and it passes the time, and amazingly the Kalms did seem to help.

The next big worry is the honeymoon with a flight from Manchester to Heathrow to New York, then Boston to Vegas then LA to Chicago to Heathrow to Manchester. More Kalms I think.

Thanks everyone :-)

Stephen