PDA

View Full Version : First panic attack :(

Khadijah
27-02-13, 17:15
I officially feel like a freak :(

For the last few monthes, I am convinced I will have a heart attack and die. I have no chest pains except random normal ones, and I am only 23. I can't shift this feeling and I freak out like anything. I am constantly thinking 'what If I have a heart attack right now' and I seem to see everything heart attack related, and people keep talking about heart attacks, but maybe this is no more than usual and I am just noticing it more. Or do I have a heart problem and my body is telling me :/ arrrrrrgh!!

I only usually get these feelings when I am alone, at night.
2 nights ago I stayed at a friends, and I am used to peace at night and her son was being so noisy, I started to feel panicky and my heart rate increased but I thought nothing of it.

All of a sudden I felt hot and dizzy and had to sit down. My heart started thumping, my left arm went numb and tingly, and I was freaking out like crazy. Eventually she had to call an ambulance :ohmy::ohmy: I feel so stupid..

I often feel hot flushes, faint and always think the worst. Maybe these symptoms are a symptom of anxiety.

Anyhoo...

I went to the doctors today and he said it sounds like anxiety but couldn't imagine me having anxiety (what do people with anxiety usually look/act like..?? )

And I have been sent for counselling :unsure:

I am still convinced my body is warning me that I am in due course to have a heart attack :wacko:

Health anxiety?

annadavid
27-02-13, 17:32
cant help with the heart attach stuff, but i do get anxiety and panick attacks and i have had them for years i get a similar thing to you i get really hot really dizzy and often feel like im going to be sick its starts of with my arms feeling lifeless and like there going to just break away, like when you hit your funny bone! and i believe that i am perfectally normal and loads or my friends get panick attacks to over nothing just be at cinema and there get one out of no where i tend to only get them when worried but they have said they get similar feelings to me! hope i gave you a bit of reassurance!

Khadijah
27-02-13, 18:15
cant help with the heart attach stuff, but i do get anxiety and panick attacks and i have had them for years i get a similar thing to you i get really hot really dizzy and often feel like im going to be sick its starts of with my arms feeling lifeless and like there going to just break away, like when you hit your funny bone! and i believe that i am perfectally normal and loads or my friends get panick attacks to over nothing just be at cinema and there get one out of no where i tend to only get them when worried but they have said they get similar feelings to me! hope i gave you a bit of reassurance!

Thank you for your reply annadavid, yes that's exactly how I felt. It's amazing how anxiety can cause these physical symptoms, which in turn make my anxiety worse! How do you deal with an attack when you get one?
I had a warning mine was coming with increased heart rate about 20 mins before. That's second time I have felt that bad, other times (every day) I just constantly live in fear of heart attack and dying :(
I wish I could feel normal!

annadavid
27-02-13, 18:50
its so incredibly strange i though if i got worried id just get upset but its crazy how it makes it so intense! when i get one i normally try to control my breathing sit down put my hands on side of my head and kinda bend my head forwards,when i feel able to i stand i drink lots water to try calm down! i feel that to it feels like ur just getting out of breath and getting panicky then it kicks in! you are normal dont worry lots of people get them what i try to think is at least i dont have things as bad as others i have money and food and i can just about live my life ! thats what you have to try and do and just try feel normal!

Daisy Sue
27-02-13, 18:57
Hi, yes it's amazing how anxiety can effect us physically.. that was one of my stumbling blocks to getting better initially, I just didn't believe that everything I was feeling was 'just' anxiety.

I had to smile at the comment from your doctor, I'd love to know what he thinks an anxiety sufferer should look like! :D

xtremx
27-02-13, 19:02
Hi Khadijah..

Well you have joined the freak club:) Wait stop the press what am I saying you/we are not freaks never look at yourself like that.. Case if you do you will label yourself something that others will not.

I like you have chest pains, I have had mine for near 4 years have been to A&E twice with the lights flashing I was having a heart attack (wait yet again sorry a Panic Attack) it was the most terrifying of my life I was alone in A&E thinking I was dying I had no one with me I was scared.

I seen people come in and go but I did not I even seen someone else having a heart attack and that scared me (I still to this day wonder what happened to him).

But I came home with no heart problems but I still get chest pains but after my last test I had I said if it cameback OK I would stop worrying and it was OK so I owe it to myself and others to try and live up to what I said..

Everything you are feeling I have felt every pain you have had I have had every sensation you have felt so have I and many others have felt the same thing..

You will beat this but what you learn from other that help you will help you feel normal again..

You are not a freak you are just a normal everyday person who has Anxiety Issues..

Khadijah
27-02-13, 19:51
Hi Khadijah..

Well you have joined the freak club:) Wait stop the press what am I saying you/we are not freaks never look at yourself like that.. Case if you do you will label yourself something that others will not.

I like you have chest pains, I have had mine for near 4 years have been to A&E twice with the lights flashing I was having a heart attack (wait yet again sorry a Panic Attack) it was the most terrifying of my life I was alone in A&E thinking I was dying I had no one with me I was scared.

I seen people come in and go but I did not I even seen someone else having a heart attack and that scared me (I still to this day wonder what happened to him).

But I came home with no heart problems but I still get chest pains but after my last test I had I said if it cameback OK I would stop worrying and it was OK so I owe it to myself and others to try and live up to what I said..

Everything you are feeling I have felt every pain you have had I have had every sensation you have felt so have I and many others have felt the same thing..

You will beat this but what you learn from other that help you will help you feel normal again..

You are not a freak you are just a normal everyday person who has Anxiety Issues..

Ah thank you so much for your post. I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way too. How can I convince myself that it is anxiety and not a warning that I'm going to die :wacko:

Do you have thoughts (or had) thoughts constantly 'what If I die any minute, what If I have a heart attack'.. ? I get these thoughts with no pain or anything, I'm just being silly? :shrug:

I can get these thoughts for no reason!! And it's usually when I'm alone at night, or sat doing nothing. During the day when I'm walking about these thoughts don't cross my mind!

skippy66
27-02-13, 19:52
I was exactly the same at 23. Actually I was worse, much worse. If its any consolation I'm now 31 and free of both panic attacks and health anxiety. I've never had counselling or taken anti-depressants but it did take me til age 29 to have my eureka moment and cure this thing.

The good news for you is that you can completely cure yourself, and you'll be rejoining the ranks of the 'normal' folk in no time. You just need to shift your attitude like I did.

xtremx
27-02-13, 20:32
Do you have thoughts (or had) thoughts constantly 'what If I die any minute, what If I have a heart attack'.. ? I get these thoughts with no pain or anything, I'm just being silly? :shrug:

I can get these thoughts for no reason!! And it's usually when I'm alone at night, or sat doing nothing. During the day when I'm walking about these thoughts don't cross my mind!

Yes I have had and sometimes I still do it is a very intense feeling that can make you feel that now is the time but it never comes does it.

I would like to say it is easy to shake this feeling off but it is not.

You are the one that can do it you have to come to terms that you cant predict the end..
You are stronger than you think you are at this moment in time take control of you mind and tell it. No shout at it that it will not beat you.

When you are alone or just doing nothing your are giving you mind the chance to examine every twitch and ache that you feel and then you just over think it.

Punkachoo
27-02-13, 20:40
Signing up on here and realising you're not a total freak, or at least you're in good company is a start. I felt like a lot of my symptoms were only ones that I had, and that no one else would be this crazy to feel stuff that isn't happening. But reading that others go through it, is a slight ease. Not much, but some. For me anyway.

I'm not entirely sure what anxiety sufferers look like, maybe we all look the same really. xD.

There's no miracle cure, I tried for years to deal with it by myself. Whilst others may be able to, I just made it all worse for myself. When you panic, try breathing exercises, check out relaxing audios, and try bring yourself back down to reality. The symptoms may seem very real but, they aren't caused by anything. It's not much comfort in the height of an attack, and sometimes it can be really hard to tell yourself that, but try. I can't offer much help, I'm only just dealing with my anxiety issues with my doctor.

I hope you manage to find the help you need, and get everything back under control and are soon happy and healthy. Good luck to you, all the best!

Khadijah
01-03-13, 19:04
I was exactly the same at 23. Actually I was worse, much worse. If its any consolation I'm now 31 and free of both panic attacks and health anxiety. I've never had counselling or taken anti-depressants but it did take me til age 29 to have my eureka moment and cure this thing.

The good news for you is that you can completely cure yourself, and you'll be rejoining the ranks of the 'normal' folk in no time. You just need to shift your attitude like I did.

Wow I am so happy to hear you have beaten those thoughts! How?

You say you felt much worse, how did you feel if you do not mind me asking, I just like to know others feel the same and it's not just my body warning me that something is wrong :/ although I've felt like this for month's so I keep telling myself that I'm being silly, shouting at my brain to leave me in peace!

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Yes I have had and sometimes I still do it is a very intense feeling that can make you feel that now is the time but it never comes does it.

I would like to say it is easy to shake this feeling off but it is not.

You are the one that can do it you have to come to terms that you cant predict the end..
You are stronger than you think you are at this moment in time take control of you mind and tell it. No shout at it that it will not beat you.

When you are alone or just doing nothing your are giving you mind the chance to examine every twitch and ache that you feel and then you just over think it.

Yes just how I feel. I also read something scary about pending heart failure having the same symptom's as anxiety so now I am freaking out like crazy, is it anxiety? Is it my pending doom?! :weep:

I need to feel at peace again :weep:

xtremx
03-03-13, 16:50
Yes just how I feel. I also read something scary about pending heart failure having the same symptom's as anxiety so now I am freaking out like crazy, is it anxiety? Is it my pending doom?!

You have done the mortal sin and read somewhere...... Just because we read something does not mean we have it...

As I say the internet is full of misinfomation... It may be correct but most of it would not apply to you.

See your doctor tell them your fears and what they tell you listern to and if they say you are woeeied over nothing then leave it in the past or you will worry everday with-out due cause to....

Rest easy mate:)

Khadijah
03-03-13, 22:01
You have done the mortal sin and read somewhere...... Just because we read something does not mean we have it...

As I say the internet is full of misinfomation... It may be correct but most of it would not apply to you.

See your doctor tell them your fears and what they tell you listern to and if they say you are woeeied over nothing then leave it in the past or you will worry everday with-out due cause to....

Rest easy mate:)

Yes I spoke to doc and he said anxiety. I just feel these thoughts are too strong to be anxiety. I don't even really have any symptoms to be worried about!

Thank you for your post :)