PDA

View Full Version : Tips on treating anxiety/agoraphobia?

xgraceex
27-02-13, 19:34
Tomorrow I am planning on going out with my camera and taking pictures of the world around me, this is to challenge myself for my blog! (link is below) but I am very nervous... I keep imagining the worst possible scenarios. That I get run over, mugged, raped, killed, laughed at, attacked, told off, shouted at, judged, chased... I keep thinking that if I take my camera out, people will stop and ask me questions about it, and treat me as a criminal! I know these are silly fears, but I guess that is why I'm an agoraphobic. :unsure:

I just wanted to start a thread to ask other peoples tips on how to cope? I know music in your ears can help, and dressing nicely before, and doing your little "routines" on preparing yourself, like locking up securely and having a bag full of essentials like purse... but does anyone else have any advice for me? :( I am determined to do this on my own, as meeting someone is usually what I do to calm down. But I want to face this head on, even if it is just ten minutes outside. Hoping to hear some thoughts and ideas, and your own experiences of what has helped you calm down when you are anxious and panicking :) Thank you - Grace

AuntieMoosie
27-02-13, 19:46
Hello :)

Are you going out with your camera near to your home hun?

How long is it since you've been out?

I'm only asking these questions as I'm worried that you may bite off more than you can chew, so to speak :)

I'm also agoraphobic and have been for many years now, but I'm now doing a CBT programme which is helping me :)

The most important thing when trying to challenge your agoraphobia and fears is really to do it in baby steps, just taking one very small step at a time. You then build up confidence gradually and move on to the next step :)

Is there any way that you could break it down a bit?

Perhaps just going on to the pavement outside your home first and seeing how you feel ?

The other most important thing to remember is that we need to be prepared with certain skills when we attempt exposure. These are coping skills and they are most important.

Other's will be along with their ideas and suggestions too :) :hugs:

xgraceex
27-02-13, 20:28
Hey auntieMoosie :) thank you for the reply! It has been about a month since I last left the house alone, but I leave every weekend to go my boyfriends house a few miles away, my dad drives :) I am really determined but I do know what you mean by jumping in too fast :( I keep worrying and panicking, but I shall see how it goes :) I may not walk into town, shall have to see how I feel xx