PDA

View Full Version : work colleagues reaction

glanford
09-09-06, 12:44
Only a couple of people at my workplace know that I have had anxiety and panic attacks.

If it got out, I would be mortified. One co worker commented on reading a newspaper article that these people are "pathetic weirdoes" and should get a grip.

Anyone else felt the same?

Wannabeloved85
09-09-06, 12:54
you mean their raction to having anxiety and not going out?

smithjam1
09-09-06, 12:54
Hi

I have had nothing but support from my work collegues. From top management down. I would say that a third of my workplace have or are taking anti-depressents. My workplace also has councelling services. There also allowed me a lot of time off as well. In my previous job I kept my anxiety quiet, because of the same reaction that you are having. Where I am now i don't feel ashamed of how I might be feeling.

glanford
09-09-06, 13:00
Hi wannabe,

I mean how workmates react when they find out that one of them suffers from panic attacks.

I'm male and I'm guessing that there is a stigma attached. Men should be strong, brave etc the old stereotypes

All the best to you

Wannabeloved85
09-09-06, 13:31
i dont belive men should be strong and brave! i like a man whos a wreck,brings out the nurse in me hehe!!!
ok back to reality lol umm.... oh! im not saying youre a wreck! But back to your point, i dont work, but i have been criticised {cant spell!} for being agoraphobic by friends, family neighbours etc. Ive been called weird and a freak etc been told to pull myself together, whch is strange, cos i am pulled together, tightly!!! lol i need to unwind mostly!
People can be narrow minded. i was the same, when my mum suffered i wasnt the nicest person when it came to understanding it all.
She always looked fine and wallking down the street with her was a nightmare! why she wanna turn back? she says shes unwell yet looks fine and dandy to me!!
Only when i truly knew what she FELT like, did i understand more clearly. if you dont suffer, you CLEARLY do NOT understand.
Becci x

kazzie
09-09-06, 14:40
Whenever I have told people of my problems I have always had a positive reaction and you wouldent believe how many people suffer from anxiety until you talk to people about it.....just thought id share my views!!! kaz

missacorah
09-09-06, 15:39
I havent had much positives and really try to keep it to myself about what I am experiencing.

I work in a school and the last week of term there was a big assembly coming up which all staff and students had to attend as the old headmaster was leaving. Well I had been dreading this flippin assembly as it would be packed and I would have to stay for the duration.

I couldnt get a seat by the door sadly and when one of my bosses asked 2 of my colleagues if they would just mind moving down 1 seat as Im not good in crowds they replied 'well who does like being in a crowd?'. Im not expecting people to move mountains for me but if I couldve helped someone out like that just by doing that tiny thing I would have. There were also whispered comments after that that I feel sure were complaing about the fact theyd been asked. (Paranoia is not 1 of my symptoms lol - i really do think it was that)

I just feel really disappointed and a bit bitter to be honest that that happened.

net
09-09-06, 15:51
i've told really close friends but when i tell people i know they very often tell me not to be so stupid and stop attention seeking.

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

juju
09-09-06, 17:52
hi,
i tend to keep it to myself, as sometimes the way people look at you, they just dont understand, and that makes me feel like a wierdo, as if i am laughed at, if you know what i mean.
yet my sister works in a docs surgery and one of the receptionists has p/a,s and one of the docs on ad,s. the nurse has depression and another doc has ocd. my sis is so understanding cos she works with people like us and it has taught her not to be so ignorant to it.
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

Insomniac
09-09-06, 17:58
Hi there.

I've had anxiety for 3 years. I work in a school and told my headteacher this week because I was feeling so bad and want to cut my hours a bit. Also wanted him to know in case I was bad.

He was lovely. Very understanding and sympathetic, and said he will help in any way he can. And keep him posted on how I'm feeling. Also told me I'm not the only one on the staff taking meds. Also told teacher I work with and a couple of close friends.

I have been very lucky because they've all been great. They don't all understand, but are supportive anyway. My husband is the star of them all, he is a confident person, but he does know that head stuff like this is not fake and not easily controllable. He supports me in any way he can!

My real problems with this started when I worked in a place which sounds like yours with some very negative people. The atmosphere there brought the anxiety on in the first place. So there's no way I'd have told any of them!

I am always reluctant to tell people in case I am judged. For example I haven't told my mum, because she would tell me to pull myself together. But I have chosen a few close ones who I really trust and luckily had a positive reaction. [8D]

Lisa.

glanford
09-09-06, 18:09
I work in a school too. You have to be careful who you tell about this stuff. Especially if it gets to the kids. Some of them could make life unbearable.

miff
12-09-06, 09:54
i am a 34 year old male in the construction industry and have been suffering panic attacks and general anxiety for four years now,I can tell you that in my game it is very hard to cope.I have lost a lot of mates and most of my self esteem.not to mention jobs, but a wife and 3 kids keep me struggling on.

Phill2
12-09-06, 11:20
I've told all my collegues I'm "mentally ill" they just laugh and I've had no probs at all.
PS Where are you miff ? I'm in Brisvegas
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

kate H
12-09-06, 12:54
I haven't told hardly anyone at work only a few of my close freinds as i know they have been through the same thing. My boyfriend knows but i hardly ever mention is as he is quite intollerant of people who are ill etc, he's not being horrible its just the way he is and i accept that i know if it came to the crunch he would be there for me. My Mum has been a god send.

I think what it boils down to is if people havent been through it or know someone who has they find it very hard to understand and they think its a weakness, i believe that people with anxiety are actually stronger as we have to put up with our feelings an symptoms every second of the day and still try and lead a normal life

****You can never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation ****

miff
13-09-06, 08:29
hey phill i am on the goldie near dreamworld

chicky76
29-08-08, 16:17
Hi

I think people in all walks of life attitude is "pull your self together"
Unfortunatley thats what make people not see their GP especially men
My huaband is a good working class man who hardly ever shows emotion and that is i feel half the reason we have hit crisis point.
people should be more open about all mental health problems as 10 out of 10 people will come across in one way or another

Be proud and tell me again what is "normal" :yahoo:

Nick

HeatherMc
30-08-08, 00:10
my husband tells me to stop attention seeking is very intolerant and I get no support at all, I feel very alone with all of this if it wasn't for you lot on her i think i would have been locked up by now.

good luck to you all

heatherx

pooh
30-08-08, 02:02
Hi
look up the story of Kjell Magne Bondevile, he is a former prime minister of Norway and the only one to have taken time off due to 'mental health' issues. ( he was elected back in by the way)
Now that's the way to go in the workplace.

Pooh xxx

pooh
30-08-08, 02:03
PS

I think we should all move to Norway LOL

ryedubs
30-08-08, 02:43
hey glenford,
if they are to judge you on "the old stereotypes" then ask them whether they think all the woman at your work should be in the kitchen and cleaning up instead.
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/strength_does_not_come_from_physical_capacity-it/148516.html)” gandhi

i too work in construction miff, i know what you mean, i guess they're not real friends we had anyway, as those that i do still have are understanding and supportive. a few laugh, but its with me rather than at me, which actually helps me a lot

nursey4
30-08-08, 03:06
Hi Glanford- I can totally relate to how your feeling. I have been off work for the last 5 weeks due to a relapse of agoraphobia/panic. I am trying to figure out what I should tell me colleagues as well. A few know I have this disorder but many don't - unless it has made it's way round the gossip chain by now.
See, I am an RN on an acute psychiatric ward. It is suprising but many of the nurses I work with hold a stigma against people with mental health problems. They often gossip about our patients and are very mean towards them at times. They do not understand mental illness even though they are specially trained to work on this unit!! Of course, not all the nurses are like this but many are. They feel the patients should just get it together as though anyone would choose this life!! And if they have chosen it, well, they may have even bigger issues then, in my opinion!!
Sorry to ramble. I am due to go back next week and not at all sure I am ready. I almost feel like telling people (of they ask) that I was away because I have a severe anxiety disorder and agoraphobia and see what they say. It would actually be kind of fun to see their reaction :winks:
My boss has been amazingly understanding.
Best of luck to you.