PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal or should I go back to Gp....

Nyan
28-02-13, 13:47
Hiya,

I was just wondering if any of you had any advice. I have just finished my 6th week of citalopram 20mg and was feeling so so much better last week, happy, relaxed motivated focused and generally better than I had for years.

At the weekend, a close friend made a sucide attempt and I was called by the police as the next of kin, when she was discharged I stayed with her to help take care of her but found it really hard and quite distressing as she was in the swing of a full on breakdown. At the time I didn't feel too bad and felt like I was coping fine, but since being back home I have found my anxiety is creeping up and up and I feel nowhere near as good as I did last week and like I am having a lapse

I am wondering.... does this mean I need a dose increase..... or is this just a natural blip in reaction to what happened with my friend. I am reluctant to up the dose as I was doing so so well till then and it has taken 5 weeks to shift all the side effects. I also have exams coming and really dont want the headaches and nausea I had again with a dose increase. Its tricky :S

Thanking you all for your time and reading this. Hope you are all doing well.

C x

steveo
28-02-13, 14:09
It's absolutely a blip to what happened!! It sounded like a very upsetting and distressing situation!!

Don't up the dose for now. Unfortunately Citalopram can't get rid of all anxiety and this is something that even the most calmest person would experience anxiety with!

Don't think about the medication. The medication is doing just good. WE all get these little blips and you have a VERY good reason for yours!!!

Keep going!!! xxx

NoPoet
04-03-13, 17:52
Hi,

Congratulations on being there for your friend during this horrible time.

20mg is considered the usual therapeutic dose. 30mg may have a more beneficial effect if your anxiety is severe.

You've got to bear in mind that traumatic life episodes will hit you no matter how ill or close to recovery you are, so I'd say you did a good job holding up. Life events are the most important part of our illness and learning to cope with them indicates that you are starting to become a stronger and more capable person.

If you think about it, you managed to coped with this event, even if you did feel terrible - there is nothing more triggering to an anxious or depressed person than another anxious or depressed person losing control. It's like saying, "This can happen to YOU!"

The good news is, nothing you've said makes me think you are feeling anything out of the ordinary. You have shown a strength of character for your friend while she needed you, which proves that you do have the strength and courage required to get better.

You need to take ownership of your own situation. Do you honestly feel that you need the dose increase, or do you think you might be able to face this as you are now? There are no wrong answers, so don't be afraid of making a choice. You seem to be doing ok so far.