PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram slowing heart rate?? Scared....

chl_hobbs
28-02-13, 19:43
Hi all,

I had been on citalopram (anything from 10mg to 30mg) over the past couple of years with no real problems to speak of.

Recently, I thought it wise to come off it (bad move) and had a bad relapse of anxiety symptoms.

So, on the advice of my GP ive restarted, and this week am on 20mg.

My heart rate is usually quite high (95-100+) and I have always had palpitations from anxiety, even during the last time on cit. However, at the moment, my heart rate is around 75-85 even after Ive been up and moving around. This is so unlike me! I also feel a bit tight chested....but then again Im not sure if this is me coming down after a whol week last week of major panic attacks daily....

It says on the side effects that it can increase/decrease your heart rate... and then i read (thanks google) that it can cause a weak heart and spasms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now am panickin that all of a sudden, this time around of taking it im getting a slow heart rate.

I do have bad Health Anxiety and am trying not to get worked up over this, but I have no idea why my heart rate would have now gone so much lower (for me) seemingly over a few days??? Is this a bad thing? Is it causing my heart to fail? and wouldnt it have done that during the previous 2 years of taking it???

Sorry so many questions!

Charlotte

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Anyone? X

Rachy-Rach
01-03-13, 08:48
It sounds like you're more relaxed and therefore have a more normal heart rate. Around 70 is a normal heart rate for resting ie, not doing strenuous exercise. A heart rate about 100 is putting undue stress on your body. My advice would be stop checking your heart rate :-) x

NoPoet
04-03-13, 18:09
Since I cut salt out of my diet, my heart rate went down from middle 80s to high 70s, so if you're dying, so am I ;)

Seriously, your heart rate is in the normal range. A reduction from 90+ to late 70s should be a cause for jumping around the room. Your heart rate will be lower as your anxiety level has probably dropped a notch, even if you don't realise it, just as Rachy-Rach says. You only need to check your heart rate once a week as part of normal health maintenance.

Don't ever come off cold turkey. If you suffered immediately, it was just withdrawal symptoms. If the symptoms came back gradually and grew in ferocity, that's a relapse.

Relapse prevention would involve working out why you're ill - what factors in your life, what unhelpful schemas (thoughts and beliefs) you have. You should also concentrate on building your self-confidence and self-esteem. Being okay with yourself eliminates too many problems to count. You need to be your own truest friend through the days ahead. Being able to rely on yourself offers a new lease of life.