PDA

View Full Version : Just taken first Valium...

Lost2010
01-03-13, 13:07
Hi everyone,

Took my first Valium around 10 mins ago, kind of anxious as not really sure what to expect...anyone with experience able to advise? Will I suddenly feel calm and like actually leaving the house?!

bernie1977
01-03-13, 16:38
It works differently for everyone. What dosage are you on?

The first time i ever took one I fell asleep!! The dosage was too high, I was given 10mg I now take 5mg when required.

Let us know how you got on and if you felt calm enough to go out.

Annie0904
01-03-13, 16:40
They just make me feel really calm.

skoosh1
01-03-13, 17:00
Wish I had them again:weep: Been off them three days and anxiety through the roof. They really help you to get through it but can be addictive. I was only on them a couple of weeks and felt alot better when I was taking them

Lost2010
01-03-13, 19:20
Thanks for the replies. I'm just on a 2mg dose to be taken as and when. The GP did say I could take up to 3 per day but I'd rather use them for "emergencies" as I've heard they can be very addictive.

I did go out but I didn't actually get any further than I would on a normal/good day so that was a bit disappointing. Not writing them off though, I did feel they had an effect, just wouldn't say I was completely calm. Going to try and go out a bit further tomorrow (hopefully) and see what happens.

kittikat
01-03-13, 19:34
They wont suddenly make you superhuman lol but they will help you to stay calm and less anxious during bad times. They are basically used now a as a short term emergency aid to get you through a bad time. 2mg is a very low dose and you probably just felt a little more relaxed.

You still need to use all your other coping stratergies to help you, like you say try go a bit further tomorrow, just small steps to improve your confidence. Good luck!

Kitti :)

Lost2010
01-03-13, 19:40
Thanks Kitti. I'm just sort of learning how to use them, been so long since I've been out properly I hope having them in case of emergency will give me a bit of confidence. Fingers crossed!

ricardo
01-03-13, 19:41
kitticat is absolutely right.Don't make the mistake of being dependant on them but occasional use is usually pretty effective as it is a quick acting drug,but has a short life of about 4/5 hours.

Lost2010
01-03-13, 20:22
Thanks Ricardo. I can see it would be quite easy to over-use them so going to be as strict as possible. Today was a bit of a test as ti was my first time taking them, wanted to make sure I didn't have an adverse reaction or anything.

Trouble is, I have a sickness phobia + a chronic illness so feel rough sometimes but probably let it bother me more than most would. So must ensure I take the valium for extreme anxiety only and not for genuine illness. Perhaps I expected a bit much from it today.

dally
02-03-13, 17:20
I have been on Valium 2mg for over twenty years!! .... To clarify. My doc has prescribed them , but for many years I was too scared to take them incase I got addicted ect. Cos that is well documented.
So my panic ended up being agoraphobia. I really wish I had taken them properly twenty years ago which would've stopped my pa escalating.

in the last two years with the help of my local occupational therapist and Valium, I am now able to travel 30 mins on a train by myself. each extended journey is not easy but the Valium helps. And I can now look back and see how hard the first journey from home was and appreciate how far I've come. I only need the valium for my new, longer jouneys. I so wish I had done this twenty years ago, instead of letting the panic cycle get hold.

I have also had 'big' events like day patient hospitilisation and attending a full day wedding. what I did then was take the Valium 3x a day for a couple of days prior to the event and this helped with the anticipatory anxiousness. So my advice to you would be to take one the night before you are planning to go out then one 20 mins before you go. Then you can reduce or stop taking valium once you become confident with your first outings. It may give you the confidence at the beginning to realise you can do without them, OR, reassure you that on a bad day, Valium can give you that little bit of help

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Valium IS addictive is taken routinely for long periods of time, but your doc should monitor you closely and give you a withdrawal plan. But it sounds as tho you will only be taking them occasionally so no worries.

Lost2010
02-03-13, 19:48
Thanks dally. I went out today and got a bit further than yesterday (further than I've got in ages actually). I didn't take any Valium but had it with me just in case. Think it was because I felt a bit better physically today that I was able to do a bit more so I suppose it's finding a balance between feeling ok physically and just letting the valium work on the anxiety when needed.

So glad to hear it's working for you and you've been able to go out again. I like the idea of taking one in the build up to events, think I end up with the anxiety making me feel unwell which makes me not want to go out etc so hopefully that will help me not to get too stressed beforehand!

steveo
02-03-13, 19:55
I was VERY scared when I took my first valium! I had a 5mg but I was so scared I cut it in half. I was having a terrible panic attack so was already in fear.

I too came on here to ask people what the effects as I was worried about it making me feel drunk or stoned.

It just calms you down very nicely!

Helps with emergencies! I just popped a 2mg myself!