PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flossing

anyexit
01-03-13, 13:17
This may sound strange but I have developed a fear of flossing. About over three weeks ago I flossed in between one of my double teeth at the top of the back of my mouth and that are has not been flossed for a long time. When I flossed that area what I did was to slide the floss inbetween my tooth as it is a tooth that is very close together and it takes a little time to get the floss down. I flossed like I would do normally with my other teeth then instead of sliding the floss out sideways like I should have done I pulled the floss down and out from betweent the two teeth and this created a pressure feeling as though something was stuck between my teeth and no matter how many times I flossed again this feeling would not go away. This lasted for over two weeks and it drove me mad. I have a bad case of anxiety and I have a sever phobia od dentists and I am also a agrophobic and I spent the 3 weeks in a complete state of anxiety. I am affraid of eating meat or anything that may get cought between that tooth. I have been trying to floss it again sometins 3 - 4 times each day to try and reasure myself that it is ok to floss that tooth but I am so nurvouse that what happened before might happen again. :weep: it is making me anxious about eating. We are having chicken tonight and that is well known for getting stuck between your teeth. Infact it was a chicken dinner that started all this off in the first place. :blush: I am also worried that flossing will cause me to see the dentist or I might damage my teeth flossing. I am in a real state of anxiety at the moment. :weep:

Daisy Sue
02-03-13, 00:59
Hi anyexit - I don't know if this might help you with the dental floss problem.. I've never been able to use it effectively as I also have very little space between my teeth, & the floss always seemed to fray as I removed it.. my dentist recently put me onto the little dental brushes - I'm using the smallest size, and they're brilliant. You wiggle them in at the gum line, and remove them at the same point, so there's no need to bring them upward where your teeth may be the closest together. Most large supermarkets, and pharmacists, stock them..

Panic Manic
02-03-13, 06:22
Hi anyexit - I don't know if this might help you with the dental floss problem.. I've never been able to use it effectively as I also have very little space between my teeth, & the floss always seemed to fray as I removed it.. my dentist recently put me onto the little dental brushes - I'm using the smallest size, and they're brilliant. You wiggle them in at the gum line, and remove them at the same point, so there's no need to bring them upward where your teeth may be the closest together. Most large supermarkets, and pharmacists, stock them..

This is really good advice actually.

anyexit
22-10-13, 18:05
Just thought I would update everyone with information with regards to my original post. Sorry for the long delay :blush::blush:

I am pleased to say after a few weeks of 'leaving the area alone' and no flossing for a while everything slowly started to settle down and it seems to be ok. as they say time heals :)

Thanks for the advice :hugs: