PDA

View Full Version : Head jerking and twitching. I hate this!

Cmack
01-03-13, 21:56
OK, so this is my second post here at No More Panic and i'd just like to say a massive thank you for all being so welcoming- it's really comforting and reassuring to have people to talk to who all know what you're going through.

So my last post established my main symptoms of anxiety such as blushing, rigidity and un-coordinated movements. However i would like to discuss what has been really bothering me as of late and this is head twitching and jerking. For me this is definitely stimulated in social environments such as at work or at the gym, any social situation where there are people present basically.

I've been online and 'Googled' this symptom and have found that many others with SA are experiencing the same thing. This is kind of comforting in knowing 'i'm not the only one', but God i hate this. To put into context of how it happens, i can just be walking along and catch eye contact of someone at work or in public and my head will just jerk or shake slightly. It's totally beyond my control; i feel rigid and very uncomfortable to say the least when this happens and it does happen a lot.

I read online that if you tell yourself to tick or to jerk then this should prevent it from happening, essentially through the use of reverse psychology. But this obviously is alot easier said than done, but i can understand this to a certain extent. For example, when you worry about something and are transfixed on a habit, then you're likely to perform this habit.

Also I've noticed that in most social situations my walking feels incredibly stiff and awkward, almost as if i'm walking through water or something. It's very scary.

Anyone experience similar things, and if so what are you doing to improve your situation?

All responses greatly appreciated.

Calum

Panic Manic
01-03-13, 21:58
Anxiety/stress could certainly cause this, but in view of the fact that it has just started you should go to the doctor for a thorough neurological examination, just to eliminate more serious causes. There are a number of things that this could be so it is best to be examined, get tests done and then get a proper and accurate diagnosis. I can understand your confusion at this new development and it would be wise to see about this quickly. If your doctor just blames anxiety before doing any tests then insist on further investigation, so that you can have peace of mind over this. Hope all goes well and good luck.

Cmack
01-03-13, 22:00
Anxiety/stress could certainly cause this, but in view of the fact that it has just started you should go to the doctor for a thorough neurological examination, just to eliminate more serious causes. There are a number of things that this could be so it is best to be examined, get tests done and then get a proper and accurate diagnosis. I can understand your confusion at this new development and it would be wise to see about this quickly. If your doctor just blames anxiety before doing any tests then insist on further investigation, so that you can have peace of mind over this. Hope all goes well and good luck.

Thanks, i'll definitely do this.