PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine is something they use to treat alcoholism?

jca
02-03-13, 01:44
I've been on fluox since 2/14/2012. I have been drinking since day one. Not every day am I drunk or drinking. But I'd say 75% of my awake hours are drunk. I crave it. I think it about it all day while I'm at work. I am usually up front and open about it, but as of late, I've been hiding it. I skipped work monday to drink a bottle of wine.

Just wanted to "rant" a bit. If there's any input, please, go ahead. :)

Tessar
02-03-13, 08:30
J, I am really sorry that you are struggling with alcoholism. Many people underestimate the impact that this disease has on a person but I know exactly what it can do to a person. I am fortunate insomuch that my cravings are always based upon food or treats, including coffee. The worst that can happen to me is I get to put weight on or I get a headache and my stomach feels horrid because I've had too much caffeine or additives in what I eat. But for you, your cravings and addiction (as you most likely know already) have far reaching and serious consequences. As I say I have seen to the cost of several people the affect that being unable to reduce alcohol consumption will ultimately do to a person. Far from wishing to beat you with a stick and demand you take action, I feel that your post is an indication that you would really like to be helped out of the place you find yourself in and that ultimately you can find a way of kicking the addition into touch.
I cannot pretend to know what it is like to be in the situation but if I apply some of the intense feelings and unpleasant places I have found myself in over life, then perhaps I can go some small way to understanding your predicament. I do strongly urge you to seek support for your addiction. This may of course already be your intention but if not then please look into it. For whatever reason it is that you find yourself here, that you have posted about your concerns, losing a days work to the bottle, then you are already making steps towards accepting the situation. It is not easy to accept what is happening but if you are able to make those first few steps then one day they could lead you towards freedom from the bottle.
It IS possible to do that but with the support of others it is by far easier. It is still ultimately the individual who has to take all the steps along the way, in this case it will be you doing it. But I have a brother who has been dry for 6 years now. At one point it looked as if alcohol would destroy him but after a lifetimes addiction, he kicked it. This is a credit to him because ultimately he did it. People supported him but he made the decision for himself.
I am really hopeful that this is a path you also can follow. Hopefully I don't sound like I am preaching as my intention here is to support and encourage you.
As regards your original question I don't believe that fluoxetine would be used specifically to treat alcoholism. I would believe that because there is usually an underlying cause or there have been events leading to alcoholism, then the meds would be used in support of treating the underlying situation with the intention of improving life to the point that the addiction comes under control.
Please think seriously about all this. Maybe the energy used thinking about it all day could ultimately be channeled into battling back and taking control of your life to the point you feel strong enough that you don't need alcohol anymore.
So, J, I hope my words prove helpful and u r welcome to PM me as you never know, my limited experiences of people struggling with this addiction just might prove of help.

Serenitie
02-03-13, 08:50
Hi JCA,

There is a link between fluoxetine and increased craving for alcohol. It might be worth reviewing your medication with your GP.

I wish you well :)

Sunshine77
02-03-13, 19:37
JCA, I know what you are going through. I know the feelings of remorse, self-loathing, despair and terror and this is because I am myself a recovering alcoholic, sober for 8 years now with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous. Even taking my current panic/anxiety problems into account, I have had a life beyond my wildest dreams for the last 8 years.

Tessar is right - the desire to stop has to come from you but please know that you are not alone. We can't do it alone! Alcohol is stronger than we are on our own, but not stronger than the programme of AA. I tried all sorts of other methods to stop but AA is the only thing that has worked for me. In addition to sobriety I have also acquired the best friends in the world through AA.

By the end of my drinking it looked as though I would end up either dead or in prison. And here I am today, free, healthy and sober. It's on offer for you too - please get in touch with your local AA helpline, there are meetings everywhere and people will help you.

PM me any time and I will help all I can. :hugs:

Incidentally I didn't know that about Fluoxetine - I was on it for several years in sobriety and it absolutely did not make me want to drink.

Serenitie
02-03-13, 20:14
JCA, I know what you are going through. I know the feelings of remorse, self-loathing, despair and terror and this is because I am myself a recovering alcoholic, sober for 8 years now with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous. Even taking my current panic/anxiety problems into account, I have had a life beyond my wildest dreams for the last 8 years.

Tessar is right - the desire to stop has to come from you but please know that you are not alone. We can't do it alone! Alcohol is stronger than we are on our own, but not stronger than the programme of AA. I tried all sorts of other methods to stop but AA is the only thing that has worked for me. In addition to sobriety I have also acquired the best friends in the world through AA.

By the end of my drinking it looked as though I would end up either dead or in prison. And here I am today, free, healthy and sober. It's on offer for you too - please get in touch with your local AA helpline, there are meetings everywhere and people will help you.

PM me any time and I will help all I can. :hugs:

Incidentally I didn't know that about Fluoxetine - I was on it for several years in sobriety and it absolutely did not make me want to drink.

Good for you! This is a massive achievement!:yahoo: I think that JCA could find a good friend in and a lot of support from you :yesyes:

Some SSRI's including fluoxetine make some users, not all, either crave alcohol or sugary foods. It's suggested that these cravings arise from either an increase in serotonin and or disruption in the body's blood sugar balance which results in sugar cravings. Worth checking out with a GP jca, as this could help reduce your intake / stop drinking if you are effected in this way.

Wishing you all the best :)

Tessar
02-03-13, 21:24
Sunshine I feel proud to know u on here because you have achieved something really special. My brother was in a pretty similar situation and as I said has been dry 6yrs. It was (and still is) AA that got him through. I can remember how desperate he sounded and if it weren't for AA well, who know what the outcome would have been.

JCA.....we're here for you, remember that :-)

Sunshine77
03-03-13, 21:44
Thank you Tessar & Cat for your lovely comments. And Tessar that's great about your brother! I know without a shadow of a doubt that I would be either dead or in prison now without AA. It makes me very grateful for the life I have today and even when the anxiety and depression are overwhelming, I have to remember my gratitude.

JCA... hope you're ok... here for you if you need to talk :hugs:

jca
07-03-13, 00:24
Some days just reading the responses on this site is the best help ever. Thanks for the input. I have been looking for an alternative for AA; as I've ignorantly (because I don't know any better) associated AA with religious organizations. Tell me I'm wrong and I'll definitely look more into it.

Serenitie
07-03-13, 00:49
Thank you Tessar & Cat for your lovely comments. And Tessar that's great about your brother! I know without a shadow of a doubt that I would be either dead or in prison now without AA. It makes me very grateful for the life I have today and even when the anxiety and depression are overwhelming, I have to remember my gratitude.

JCA... hope you're ok... here for you if you need to talk :hugs:

Well done on your achievement Sunshine and your invaluable support of others based on your experience. This is a beautiful gift to give to others :hugs:

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Some days just reading the responses on this site is the best help ever. Thanks for the input. I have been looking for an alternative for AA; as I've ignorantly (because I don't know any better) associated AA with religious organizations. Tell me I'm wrong and I'll definitely look more into it.

Hey jca,

Nice to hear from you!:hugs: I've been catching up on films this week and saw one that I thought would be a great support to you on your journey. It is not at all preachy and is a very honest and enlightening. Let me know your thoughts & be well :hugs:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063781/

jca
07-03-13, 01:07
oh goodness that does look like something that i would really enjoy and get me thinking. thanks!

Serenitie
07-03-13, 01:10
oh goodness that does look like something that i would really enjoy and get me thinking. thanks!

I absolutely adored it! Enjoy! :hugs:

Sunshine77
07-03-13, 08:19
I have been looking for an alternative for AA; as I've ignorantly (because I don't know any better) associated AA with religious organizations

Hi JCA

A lot of people think that! When I first thought of going to AA even my doctor said "aren't they a bunch of bible bashers?" NOOOO!!!

OK so I will try & explain to you a little bit. The 12 step programme is based around admitting that we are powerless over alcohol and that we can't do it alone, we need a "higher power". (Alcohol is bigger than me so I need to use a power bigger than alcohol - make sense?). A lot of people choose to call that higher power "God" and indeed you will here the word "God" mentioned in meetings. BUT - it doesn't have to be God. For a lot of people the "higher power" is just the strength they find in AA meetings. You mention that reading the posts on here helps you - well an AA meeting is exactly the same. Everyone in the room has been exactly where you are. They share their experience, and how they got better, and how life is today, including the things they still struggle with.

For other people the higher power is just a "feeling". AA has no links with organised religion. All it asks is that you keep an open mind and don't let the references to God put you off. Just like you would find in any other walk of life, you find people who are religious and people who are not. Take what helps you and leave the rest.

For me there is no alternative to AA. I had seen counsellors and psychiatrists in the years before I found AA and they all had one thing in common - they did not understand alcoholism. They hadn't been where I was. They said things like "mark the bottle" and "keep a drinking diary". What?!?!? If I could do those things, I wouldn't be an alcoholic!!!

So I will end this post - I am so passionate about AA that I could go on forever!! Take a look at the link below and please PM me if you want to chat more, I will be more than happy to be there for you just as people were there for me - it's how it works.

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=12

:hugs:

---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

PS Cat I haven't seen Smashed yet but a couple of people have recommended it to me although they've said it made them squirm with recognition at times! I will give it a watch x

Tessar
07-03-13, 12:27
I have been looking for an alternative for AA; as I've ignorantly (because I don't know any better) associated AA with religious organizations. Tell me I'm wrong and I'll definitely look more into it.
I'm really pleased this site helps you jca. It's so helpful to know you have friends & people with similar experiences to help. I'm glad to be able to support you too as I know myself the difference it makes when you have someone to turn to.
That's very interesting what you say about AA & religion. Very interesting.
I have already mentioned my brother who was able to stop drinking with the help of AA. What I havent mentioned is he (& another brother of mine who also had alcohol issues) always felt our parents went overboard with their indoctrination of us as children. Our parents are devout Catholics. Their expections of us were high & where religion was concerned it was all or nothing in their view. They were very strict.
My one brother was able to separate his issues with religion from the support he obtained at AA. He still goes to meetings several years down the line. It helps him focus. He would not be alive today without that help. I have never heard him mention the religious link in all this time & for him, AA was literally life saving.
Moving on to my 2nd brother with alcohol issues..... he was so angry with everything & everyone that he continued to cloud his opinion of AA with his own religious issues. Because of AA's links to Christianity, he basically refused their help. He kept saying he didnt want them telling him what to do. He said he'd cut down & stop drinking when he was ready. I appreciate why AA werent the organisation for him but he denied himself much needed help. I dont know of other organisations that offer such help, he didnt find any.
I had a look at the GB website for AA & it says this "Let’s make no bones about it; the 12 step programme that members follow has its origins in a Christian group. As a consequence you will see God mentioned quite often. Many members believe in a god, and we have members that come from and practice all sorts of religions; but also many are atheist or agnostic, so don’t be put off.".
This was in their frequently asked questions section & I guess it's like any type of group meeting you go to, be it religion, politics, sport based & so on - if you put alot of people together & debate something, there are all going to be differing opinions & beliefs. Even the ones who have similar beliefs will probably have some areas they cant agree on.
I would imagine that preaching isnt part of the deal but sometimes they're saying it is inevitable that god or people's beliefs will come up in conversation. Bearing in the mind the skilled support on offer from AA, it does seem worthwhile considering them as a means of assistance & support jca. I cannot made the judgement for you about religion. I understand wholeheartedly why it would be an issue since my upbringing was tainted with some bad experiences related to religion. It continues to do so in my relationship with my parents today. But (and its a big but) if you can find a way of drawing a line between religious beliefs & the mention of "god" in AA meetings, literature etc, then I feel you could be on a winner. Of course this is my humble opinion but I'm hoping you will find my thoughts helpful.
I have been through therapy & am seeing a counsellor at the moment. There are times in both instances where I have had to alter my standpoint on some things. Its not always been easy as occasionally I've realised I'm too biased in one direction or another for my own good. I struggle at the moment as I'm trying to make changes in my life for the better. I'm also trying to confront things that are issues for me too. One less complication for me compared to you is that I dont have an addiction. But I feel in many ways we perhaps fight similar battles but use different coping methods.
If I found myself in your situation I'd try AA. Perhaps go to a few meetings. See what is on offer. Perhaps you would be able to find a way of tolerating the mention of God - or indeed tolerating other people's beliefs - in order to receive life changing support and help. Its a big ask I know but once worth at least considering.

Serenitie
07-03-13, 12:31
Hi JCA,

AA is featured in the film - Sunshine is best placed to be able to tell you how accurate this portrayal is as I have no personal experience of AA. I thought the same as you as most of the people I know who have been to AA have had a religious background. My opinion changed after speaking to people with personal experience and seeing this film. I perceived the group support in AA to be absolutely unconditional, non judgemental whilst not being collusive and very powerful in facilitating recovery. The higher power that I perceive from my conversations with others was the group itself. Religious faith is not essential from my understanding of AA, although the topic may arise from group discussion as such faith may help others in the group.

Sunshine ~ what I loved about this film is that it does not preach. It shows a pretty realistic, at times painfully honest account of recovery (2 of my uncles were in AA) and it's impact on daily living, relationships and how people have to adapt their coping skills to manage their problems after stopping drinking, which can be equally challenging as stopping drinking. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. x

Sunshine77
08-03-13, 09:00
I perceived the group support in AA to be absolutely unconditional, non judgemental whilst not being collusive and very powerful in facilitating recovery. The higher power that I perceive from my conversations with others was the group itself. Religious faith is not essential from my understanding of AA, although the topic may arise from group discussion as such faith may help others in the group.

Absolutely. Like I say - the most important thing is to keep an open mind. AA and organised religion have nothing in common. AA doesn't preach or threaten and is non-prescriptive - sure, there are suggestions made in the programme, but these are all based on the experience of our founder members. For me, today, I can't tell anyone how to get better, all I can do is share how I got better.

This is AA's Preamble, which is read out at the beginning of every meeting:

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination or politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety."

I am looking forward to seeing the film Cat but according to Amazon it's not even released yet!

:hugs: to all x