PDA

View Full Version : avoidance

Habeebi
02-03-13, 08:35
My anxiety seems to be getting worse especially in work situations and even just sitting in the office. Is it best to tough it out and just try and get on with it at work? I'm guessing the more I avoid being at work the worse it will be when I am there. I feel like the anxiety must builds up and up until I have to get out of there but I guess I need to find a way getting through it....

janei
02-03-13, 10:40
Hi,
I find that the best way to get through those anxious times at work is to try to just carry on, as you say. I used to run off home every time it got bad at work, but realised that it made me feel worse - guilty etc and also worried about losing my job too!
I am getting much better at sticking it out now cos of this and I find that if there is someone at work to confide in about how you feel then it really helps too.
Just remember - everyone suffers anxiety at some point in their lives. We are not abnormal, just more sensitive to our inner problems.

Take care

Jx

Ineedlookingafter
02-03-13, 11:39
Hi,

I am going through this exact thing at the moment. I try to remember that, considering how bad I feel I am doing well just to get there in the first place! I have had to come home quite a few times but have got permission to work from home when I have to do that. This helps with the guilt/worry about losing job because it shows committment and means I don't get behind. Maybe that is an option for you?

I am hoping this will all soon be a distant memory and I wil be back on track with the help of a medication increase.

Until then, I am trying to take each day as it comes although having said that I am having a bad day today (sickness) and am freaking out about going in on Monday.

On days when I have to come home I also try to get a doctors appointment and then tell my boss that I have done so- so they know this is not just skiving or running home but a legitimate need to be out of the office. Maybe see if you can do that too?

Hope that helps a little. Hang in there. x

Rennie1989
02-03-13, 12:01
I get very anxious at work too and I have to agree that it's best to tough it out. Every time I have a week off work I get incredibly anxious on the first day back so it shows the longer you push it the worse it gets.

Habeebi
02-03-13, 15:10
Hi all thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes I think it may be better if I at least told my boss what's going on then that will hopefully allerviate the worry somehow. I just wish I had some sort of strategy to get rid of the feeling when it comes across me. Its daft because I enjoy work and like being busy and work is taking my mind off my relationship problems so I don't want to be stuck at home all the time moping about.

I haven't mentioned it to my immediate colleagues because I think they will just gossip and talk about me even though this is probably just me being paranoid I don't want to draw any attention to myself. I really don't think they would understand, mental health has such a stigma attached to it - people sympathise with physical illness so much easier. I can't even talk to my family/friends about it so freely because I think they will just think I'm odd. My bf whom I have now split up from is the only one I can really open up to and I'm starting to think its been a mistake leaving him as I don't feel any better. (thought my panic attacks were coming from suppressing feelings of wanting to leave him). Now I'm stressing about whether to get back together with him as I need his support (but ironically think its my relationship issues that are causing the axniety!)

Thanks for listening really helps to unload!

saro
02-03-13, 16:47
I used to feel like that when I was working full time a few years back and it was so difficult to stay there because anxiety is all I could think of and wanting to go home. Maybe if it gets too bad take some time off but the best thing you could do for yourself is keep going and getting through it with techniques. Maybe have some cbt and work thought it.

I hope things get easier for you soon.

Ineedlookingafter
03-03-13, 16:17
I am really struggling today. I think I am getting side effects from a slight increase in medication 2 days ago. I know I have to struggle through and that not going in to work tomorrow is not an option. I feel so rubbish today. I am trying to be positive- feelig bad today does not mean I will defo feel bad tomorrow. But it is so hard when you feel like you can't cope.

I also feel bad because, even though I am desperately trying to take one day at a time I am still panicking because this is the first week when I have to do 5 whole days as I had some leave the last 2 weeks. I am also due to work an evening, plus it is my partners birthday and she has arranged to go to a restaurant with friends. Of course she assumes I will go but I am really freaking out about it- I don't want a late night in case I can't make it in to work the next day and I am finding food really hard at the moment because I feel sick much of the time.

I already feel guilty as we have not been out for ages and I ruined valentines day as we couldn't have a nice meal together as I couldn't eat. :weep:

I know she will stick with me through this but I feel so bad for her. I keep telling her I am trying my best but here I am again, feeling ill at a weekend and not able to do anything apart from mope about.

I really really wish this illness would go away.

AndrewNolan
03-03-13, 16:18
Hi

When I first started struggling with my anxiety I'd often find myself having to leave work early. However, I kept with it and now I don't find any problems with staying in work. So hang tough - it does get better I promise.

Andrew

Ineedlookingafter
05-03-13, 09:55
Thanks. I have not been able to go in today so far. I have a docs appointment later so might try and get in after that.

Haven't been able to eat today though so feeling very weak.

jefferina
05-03-13, 10:38
please try not to avoid because that just makes things worse! I no that is easier said then done though. I have avoided lots of things and ran away from things so much so that ive had 25 jobs and im 29 and i now can no longer work. I wish i had toughed it out years ago then maybe I wouldnt be in the situation I am in where I cant face hardly anyone or do hardly anything. goodluck I hope you find some strength to really try not to avoid things :winks:

sarahblonde32
05-03-13, 11:05
I was about to post something similar, i often have some anxiety at work, just sitting at my desk, which i find strange as i am quite comfortable at work, it isnt a particularly stressful job and i can sit at my desk with the radio on and chat. RIght now actually im having the strange head swimming thing for no apparent reason.

sarah