PDA

View Full Version : Link between anxiety and thyroid?

Khadijah
02-03-13, 11:22
From my previous posts about panic attacks, constant negative thoughts about dying of a heart attack etc...can this be thyroid related?

rachael t
02-03-13, 13:30
My doc tested mine cos he sed thyroid can cause it but it came bak ok

little wren
02-03-13, 17:27
Thyroid problems can result in anxiety issues - I was told to have a blood test to check for this.

ruthless
02-03-13, 18:07
I had a blood test too for Thyroid problems and mine came back normal

Khadijah
02-03-13, 18:10
I already know I have an underactive thyroid, so I am thinking maybe mine is all over the place. Atleast I know from your replies that the Doc has said there is a link between anxiety and thyroid. I have done some reading and saw an out of sync thyroid can cause depression, anxiety, negative thoughts etc. I hope this is why I am feeling like this!

Habeebi
02-03-13, 21:21
I just fund out three months ago I was extremely hypothyroid....got put on meds and my levels are normal now....I wondered about a link too but doc didn't seem to think so...I would have thought hyperthyroid would be more likely to cause anxiety though

Hypo
02-03-13, 22:24
My thyroid is under active and my anxiety does get better the better my levels are.

It is a BIG factor in mental health issues. A massively untalked about one at that.

maddierose98
03-03-13, 13:35
my mum has an underactive thyroid + anxiety, depression and OCD but is on meds for both and all is under control. goodluck

Khadijah
03-03-13, 22:04
I just fund out three months ago I was extremely hypothyroid....got put on meds and my levels are normal now....I wondered about a link too but doc didn't seem to think so...I would have thought hyperthyroid would be more likely to cause anxiety though

Did you suffer from anxiety before the meds and feel any better?

Hyper is the main cause of anxiety but can be under too, with negative thoughts etc. Plus when you have a thyroid issue, it can bounce from under and over like a rollercoaster!

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

My thyroid is under active and my anxiety does get better the better my levels are.

It is a BIG factor in mental health issues. A massively untalked about one at that.

Wow, yes I have read alot lately about it, doc mentioned nothing!

I am having bloods tomorrow, to see if way I feel is related to my thyroid. I have a feeling it's gone from under to over and my body is like woah!

mozzi
03-03-13, 22:09
Hi, this is very interesting to hear cause my health anxiety started around the same time as I was diagnosed with over active thyroid, thyroid is back to normal levels now and has been for about 3 years, but still have HA, I wonder if the two are connected...

Khadijah
03-03-13, 22:15
my mum has an underactive thyroid + anxiety, depression and OCD but is on meds for both and all is under control. goodluck

That is brilliant to hear that all is under control x

Thank you