PDA

View Full Version : Anemia symptoms

k9love
02-03-13, 21:15
I had blood tests and all were fine except slighty low iron, now would "slightly" low iron cause these symptoms, really exhausted, tired, kind of feeling like Im going to fall over, and palpatations??

Thanks.

NoPoet
04-03-13, 23:25
No, but anxiety would.

PanchoGoz
05-03-13, 11:19
Low iron can make you feel tired. I get low iron and it makes me dizzy, faint, tired, tearfl and depressed and low appetite. A lot of people get low iron becuase of the modern day diet, he may give you some supplements to take for a set amount of time. These will put it right.

maybeoneday
03-04-13, 17:32
I have just been told im slightly anemic I feel absolutely terrible, I feel exhausted when I stand up I feel like im going to fall over, I feel sick my serum iron level is 6 what does this mean? I actually feel like death I started on iron tablets today and I feel worse now sickness wise. im scared I don't like feeling like this I feel tearfull too whats happening to me

PanchoGoz
03-04-13, 17:55
6 is really low, those iron tablets will make you feel LOADS better after after just a couple of days! Probably not the tablets making you feel sick after one day though. They make your shit black though and can make you a bit constipated, but you will feel a lot better. How many are you taking a day or how many miligrams? I'm currently taking one to two.

potato11
03-04-13, 18:35
Hi

Thought I'd share some handy tips about iron absorption

The tannin chemical in tea can reduce iron absorption from your food by 80%, and dairy products (due to the calcium) can affect it by about up to 40%

So make sure you leave at least an hour between having any of the above, and a meal, as you will then significantly improve how much iron you absorb from your food.

On the other hand, fresh orange juice (due to the vitamin c) helps the body absorb iron so drink away whenever! especially with meals and your iron tablets

I also recommend Spatone sachets, they're sachets of water that naturally contain iron, and it's very absorbable by the body - more so than the tablets

I'm not 100% if you can take tablets and Spatone together, my aunty did and raised her ferritin quite well with it, but I would look in to it a bit further yourself.

But if you found that the iron tablets really didn't agree with you, you could just take the spatone.

Also - plenty of those green vegetables!! a bit of steamed broccoli and garden peas with meals is something! (if you're fussy about veg like me :blush:)

Anyway hope that helps!

maybeoneday
03-04-13, 18:40
doctor has given me 1 tablet 210mg a day, are my symptoms to do with the iron loss im not sure what the levels should be.

PanchoGoz
03-04-13, 21:09
Could be, I wouldn't worry about it, take your mind off it and just take the pills to see if it makes you better or one of Potato's suggestions. I like the info there Potato, I had not idea tea reduces absorption that much! :ohmy:

potato11
03-04-13, 21:22
Yup, factoid. haha. One downside to Britain's fave drink!

maybeoneday
06-04-13, 20:29
how long does it take for the iron tablets to start making you feel better . also I don't reay go dizzy as such its like I lose my balance for a few seconds or get a feeling like the floor has moved from under me has anyone else experience this with low iron.

PanchoGoz
07-04-13, 10:06
Just a few days like I said. I get that floor jumping thing with anxiety. It can be hard to tell your anxiety symptoms from anemia. Give the pills a few more days and you may notice a difference and keep on them to build youself up, unless you get plumbing problems!