PDA

View Full Version : Urge of saying/thinking bad things toward Buddha

LittleSongbird
03-03-13, 06:57
I had obsession about it: that I had blasphemous thought in Buddhist (or in general: religion).

I thought about a very very rude sentence toward Buddha. Although I know they're just thought but it is not a comfortable thought to think of.

If anybody was in the same situation (thinking of insulting or rude sentence in religion), please tell me your experience to deal with them.

Thank you so much

Alexander_supertramp
03-03-13, 07:29
Hi.
I think at some point in everyone's life they have said or thought bad things against others we love. Buddah was a human just as you are,so I'm sure they would understand that in today's society people become frustrated and perhaps say things they do not mean.
Alex

hanshan
03-03-13, 07:56
Buddha is an incarnation of great understanding. Not only does Buddha not take offence at your thought, but hopes to see the meaning in it. Perhaps there is some truth in it. Perhaps reflection on it is a path to greater understanding.

LittleSongbird
03-03-13, 08:03
I'm a Buddha worshiper. I love Buddhism because of their philosophy and art in life.

After a long struggling with panic attack and anxiety disorders, I got this thought and took it seriously. People said that it's just my anxiety caused this in my tired mind. I know that and try not to take it important. But it's still there sometimes. Annoyed, though.

little wren
03-03-13, 08:21
Hi littlesongbird

Can you distance yourself from the thoughts - be the observer of the thoughts and not engage with them? You are not your thoughts they are simply your anxiety attacking one of the most important things to you. I think it actually shows how much you care about Buddha - obsessions are often about things we hold dear in our hearts (that is why they are hard to shift). x

LittleSongbird
03-03-13, 11:30
Hi littlesongbird

Can you distance yourself from the thoughts - be the observer of the thoughts and not engage with them? You are not your thoughts they are simply your anxiety attacking one of the most important things to you. I think it actually shows how much you care about Buddha - obsessions are often about things we hold dear in our hearts (that is why they are hard to shift). x

Thank you my dear little wren for such an encouragement and sweet support. Yeah it exactly attacks one of the most important things to me, that I worship, love and follow to become a good person with good mind (that's what Buddha teaches). There's a time that I can't bear the bad thought about Buddha that made me hurt so much, and guilty feeling, ashamed also.

Your last sentences really make sense.

:hugs:

Rennie1989
06-03-13, 12:38
They are called intrusive thoughts. I get it a lot, including about my own faith, but I mine are often visions or thoughts of harming others. I read somewhere that if you are disgusted about the thoughts and feel repulsed to act on it then that is VERY VERY NORMAL. Apparently everyone gets intrusive thoughts but it affects some people more than others.

Unfortunately I don't know how to combat them but just remember that they are normal.

LittleSongbird
06-03-13, 17:34
They are called intrusive thoughts. I get it a lot, including about my own faith, but I mine are often visions or thoughts of harming others. I read somewhere that if you are disgusted about the thoughts and feel repulsed to act on it then that is VERY VERY NORMAL. Apparently everyone gets intrusive thoughts but it affects some people more than others.

Unfortunately I don't know how to combat them but just remember that they are normal.

Thank you. Your words really helpful. Sometimes when I feel very worry the intrusive thoughts come back stronger and haunt me. But like you I also remember that they're nothing but thoughts and they're normal. That pattern of thinking gets me through the day

Wolfie
06-03-13, 17:58
Hi there :)

I just wanted to add what other people have said above, that these intrusive thoughts always 'tag' onto things that we hold very dear to ourselves. Because they mean so much to us and we get an intrusive thought saying something bad about whatever we hold dear to ourselves, it causes cognitive dissonance - that uncomfortable and horrible feeling that we get with intrusive thoughts. You are feeling bad about the thoughts because they go against the very essence of who you are. You know that you are not a bad person. You wouldn't go out of your way to hurt anyone or say something hurtful, etc. You will get through this, it just takes time to regain that control, that power that the intrusive thoughts are trying to seize.

Chris

PS: Also, it is important to come to accept these thoughts - accept them, let them pass through your mind and continue with doing something to try and take your focus away from the thoughts. The more you struggle with them and pay attention to them, the stronger they may feel next time, and so on.

LittleSongbird
07-03-13, 05:13
Thank you for your kind words Wolfie :D I know this situation and I know it's temporary. The goal I think is not forget or never trigger those thoughts but to no longer matter them.